• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Monroe, August 18, 2005: Trailboss Returns to the Whites

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Hiked: August 18, 2005

Trails(s) Hiked: Ammonoosuc Trail, Crawford Path, and Monroe Loop

Total Distance: About 8 miles

Difficulty: Difficult (thanks to steep climb up Ammo Trail). VERY exposed at top as well :wink:

Conditions: Trail was clear, lots of traffic for a weekday. Visibility was outstanding--over 100 miles.

Special Required Equipment: Map, hiking poles good idea, windgear.

Trip Report: FOR MANY, Mount Monroe is just another obstacle or speedbump on the way to Washington. For me this originally was the case five years ago. In 2000 I planned a hike with my friends for my birthday up and down Washington and in the planning included the short run up Monroe. But as with life, things work out differently than what we put down on paper for when my day came, the temps at the base of the Jewell Trail was in excess of 85 and the humidity was oppressive. We got a later start and were delayed as a result of the cold front, which brought rain and fog to Washington by the time we summited that afternoon. By the time we reached Lakes of the Clouds, it was pushing 5pm and we were all tired. I stood and looked up at Monroe, which was not too impressive from this perspective, and tried not to cry. So close and yet so far. We headed down the Ammo Trail that night and I planned on returning soon to conquer that peak...a requirement on my 4000 footer list.

Fast forward FIVE whole years later...after college and my first job...after completing many other smaller and even taller peaks in the area (as well as the Wapack Trail...whose peaks pale in comparison to Monroe :wink: ).

So after moving my things into our new place in Vermont, I decided to cut out on Thursday for a nice run up to Monroe. The weather was cool and highs were as forecasted--in the 40's with a NW-W breeze that was stiff at times.

The drive was longer for me now that I was coming from the Upper Valley as opposed to the NEK, but as I stood in the parking lot looking upward I knew that it was going to be worth it :wink:

I made good time on the lower two miles of the trail, which are mainly flat with some good footing along the Ammonoosuc River. I could hear and smell the Cog that was behind me. I approached Gem Pool and pushed on to the Gorge and waterfalls because a family was eating lunch at the pool. The falls were impressive.

From here the trail steepens dramatically. In just over 3 miles the trail has to climb about 2700 vertical feet and much of it comes on the upper third of the trail by way of steep steps and ledge climbs which were slippery on the way down (I fell once) :x

I passed by one family and learned of their adventure--a night at Lakes of the Clouds before going to Mizpah Hut...fun! I also pointed out the local peaks to them before I pushed onwards. The trail breaks open to reveal some spectacular views up on Washington from an interesting perspective as well as to the west into Vermont. I stopped for lunch before the final push to the Hut.

Standing outside the Hut, I looked up at the peak that I had waited five years to climb--it was clear and I knew that the views would be impressive.

The Monroe Loop left the Crawford Path and scrambled up to the summit. After about 20 minutes, one comes to the summit, located above a little grotto that some French Canadians had taken (and would not leave the entire time I was up there...am I bitter? Yes, I picked up their trash on the way up the trail :evil:). From the summit, I looked over 100 miles in all directions picking out Franconia, Loon Mountain, Attitash, Cranmore, Bretton Woods, Washington, Jefferson, the Cog (the cool trestle) Burke, Camel's Hump, Jay, Mansfield, and even into Canada :eek: :eek: :D In all I could seein into Maine (many lakes), NH, VT, and Canada.

I snapped a lot of pics on my camera phone and my camera...touched the summit...and headed down the loop into the col in between this peak and Little Monroe. Some scrambling and 'ad-libbing' to get down was needed because the talus was pretty rough in places. Little Monroe offered some great views down into the Oakes Ravine and into the Bretton Woods area. The view back up was impressive. I headed down to the Crawford Path and hiked back to Lakes of the Clouds catching some more great views down the Crawford Path towards Crawford Notch and also the views down into the Dry River Wilderness area. After a brief stop at the Hut for water and bathroom, I headed down the Ammo to the base where I opted to take the spur to the Cog Base. Things were winding down (I also noted the ski operation...snowmaking equipment and lines were visible as was a Pisten Bully Snowcat).

I was glad that I came back for this mountain and urge others to give it the respect and time that it deserves...at the top there were fewer folks and the views were impressive and rewarding. From the base, this mountain is impressive and the effort it took was well worth it :beer: Take the Monroe Loop...it is worth your time :wink:

ChileMass

TB - I missed you by a day! Wish I'd known you were there. We were at Eisenhower on Friday and had a ball. What a great weekend in the Whites! Rained all day Saturday, but cleared up again yesterday.

Glad you had fun!

thetrailboss

Staff member
ChileMass said:
TB - I missed you by a day! Wish I'd known you were there. We were at Eisenhower on Friday and had a ball. What a great weekend in the Whites! Rained all day Saturday, but cleared up again yesterday.

Glad you had fun!

Glad you had a good weekend as well :wink:

Ike is a real nice hike.

What else did you do?