• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Bonds -- A Two Day Adventure!

MtnMagic

Dates Hiked:
Monday, October 13, & Tuesday, October 14, 2003.

Trails Hiked:
Zealand, Twinway, Bondcliff, West Bond Spur, Frost, & Gale River.

Mountains Climbed:
Zealand, Guyot (2x), Bond (2x), West Bond, Bondcliff, South Twin, Galehead.

Total Distance:
This backpack has a 4,850’ elevation gain and totals 22.5 miles, 12.1miles hiked on Monday, 10.4 miles hiked on Tuesday.

Difficulty:
This is a long, moderate hike. With full gear, it can be strenuous hiking up to Zeacliff, Bondcliff, and the return back up Bond and Guyot. It is a workout, as is climbing up South Twin. The Twinway Trail is almost level with overall good footing, is most enjoyable, and a needed relief!

Conditions:
One is fully exposed to the fury of the summit winds (on this day 50 –75 M.P.H. and can be much more!) on the treeless summits. Early Tuesday morning the temperature was 34 degrees. Daytime highs were 60-65 degrees. Each day was sunny, warm, clear, bright and cheery with mountain views visible for more than 50 miles!

TRIP REPORT
Monday, October 13, 2003:
Ghostdog and this writer met Sky, who is always cheerful, happy, and full of zest, at the Gale River Trailhead where we left her car. Driving to the Zealand parking lot in my car, we strapped on our gear and started our journey at 8 a.m. The mostly level, hour and a half hike to the hut is always beautiful, where we ate leftover carbohydrates and filled our water bottles.

Up the Twinway (a section of the Appalachian Trail) Trail to the view at Zeacliff an on to the viewless Zealand Mtn (4260’) with its unique summit plaque. The wind increased dramatically on Guyot (4580’), which looks like a marvelous moonscape. Two crows found happiness in the winds as they played soaring games.

We continued down to the Guyot shelter to claim our spots, set up our sleeping pads, leaving our backpacks. The six platforms, the hand-made log shelter with its porch and two chairs were empty and seemed lonely. Off to Mt. Bond (4698’) we hiked with just a small daypack and a bottle of water each. After enjoying the sensational views, we hiked on to Bondcliff Mtn. (4265’), surrounded by magnificent views, the finest in all the White Mountains.

Re-climbing Mt Bond (which was quite a task being the fifth mountain of the day!) we reached the summit just in time for sunset views in all directions. Our headlamps easily guided our tired feet back to Guyot shelter where three Canadian backpackers arrived to spend the night. After an enjoyable dinner and good-fellowship sharing stories of our adventures, we hit the sack for a well-deserved rest. The day was a 12.1 mile journey, climbing five 4k mountains with an altitude gain of 3,500 feet. We slept well, with the temperature at night a pleasant 34 degrees. Perfect!

Tuesday October 14, 2003:
In the predawn hours, we awoke by the familiar powerful honking sounds of many Canada Geese flying to their winter homes. After the flock passed by, we were unable to fall back to sleep. I went out on the porch to catch the sunrise, make plenty of French Vanilla Cappuccino and cook a huge meal of turkey bacon with a ham, onion, red and yellow bell pepper egg omelet on Oat Bran bread. I enjoy eating great foods and prepare some gourmet meals in the wilderness. After burning off about 3,500 calories during the day's long, strenuous hike, why not eat well!

We wished our night guests happy trails as they left the shelter. After filling our water bottles at the spring, we hiked a thousand forty feet to the junction of Bondcliff Trail. As we removed our heavy backpacks to hike up West Bond, Sky informed me that her leg was hurting and would wait there. She urged us on while she remained to rest until our return back from the summit. Many thoughts swirled through my mind as we hiked the one-mile round trip up to West Bond and back. I felt guilty leaving Sky alone and prayed her leg would be ok. Thankfully, I was happy to discover it was!

Hiking an easy pace, we returned up the west side of Guyot (4580’) to find the winds warmer with much less of a bite than the day before. We also watched the crows continuing to have a blast. They soared into the wind, having a roller coaster of a ride as they called out joyously to each other. They must have as much fun soaring as we do hiking!

Taking the west branch of the Twinway, the rock pile quickly ended into a fine level trail with very good footing. As trees returned to the trail, Whiskey Jacks (Canada Grey Jays) soon flew around enticing us with their tricks to feed them. We only said hello and continued to make fast progress on the Twinway, a great part of the Appalachian Trail.

The one half-mile climb up to the SouthTwin (4902’) summit went quicker and easier than expected. It was as windy on the pinnacle as Guyot, Bond and Bondcliff was the previous day. We ate a large lunch, had plenty of rest, and were delighted in the superb views. Tuesday saw only three hikers all day and they were on the South Twin summit.

Knowing the climbing is mostly over, we talked ecstatically about our wondrous adventure during the .08 of a mile very steep descent to the Galehead hut. The crew (“da croo”), getting the hut secured for the winter was busy boarding up the windows and removing the contents for the helicopter pick-up. They were not too busy to give us water, conversation and share some laughs.

We left our backpacks there and jaunted up the Frost Trail for the one half-mile to the enchanted Galehead Mountain (4024’) summit and returned to the hut. As we looked up at the towering South Twin, we were glad we didn’t have to climb it. Bidding “da croo” farewell, we hiked the easy 4.6 miles back to the Galehead parking lot, arriving just after 5 o’clock p.m. Our hike was only 10.4 miles this day.

This is one of the finest, if not the finest, of hikes in the White Mountains. There are several ways to hike to the Bonds. We decided on this route to bag five new summits and wished to trek 22.5 miles with a 4850’ elevation gain over nine 4000 footers. We were naturally sore after this wonderful backpack but enjoyed this exciting adventure so much that we’ll indubitably be back. Two more fantastic days to play in the middle of the Pemigewasset Wilderness!
© 2003 MtnMagic. All rights reserved.

Greg

Staff member
Wow! Great TR, MtnMagic. Sounds like a pretty intense overnighter. Hopefully pics are coming...?

MtnMagic

Important event tonight -- will post soon.

Yes! I have a CD of them now. Will have another CD in a two days. Sky has a CD, too. I will read how to post pics as instructed in the usergroups/gallery.
Sunrise over the Pemi, the Dry River Wilderness and beyond!

Greg

Staff member
Re: Important event tonight -- will post soon.

MtnMagic said:
Yes! I have a CD of them now. Will have another CD in a two days. Sky has a CD, too. I will read how to post pics as instructed in the usergroups/gallery.
Sunrise over the Pemi, the Dry River Wilderness and beyond!
Great! Let me know if you need a hand.

MtnMagic

Hey there Greg,
Hiked Isolation Friday 14 miles. Owl's Head today 17 miles -- what a haul! With rain in the forecast for the next few days, I'll have some time to post pictures and trip reports.

MtnMagic

Bond pictures.

The picture were at best merely average and nothing no one hasn't seen. Experience is the best teacher, so our next adventure should have some great ones to post. See you on the trails.