• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

8/10: Webster Cliffs

Sherpa John

Website
www.wildwhites.com
Date(s) Hiked: 8/10

Trails(s) Hiked:Webster Cliff Trail

Total Distance: Maybe 5 miles

Difficulty: VERY difficult

Conditions: Humid, trail all clear

Special Required Equipment: None

After feeding 7 totally awesome thru-hikers on Tuesday night, Sarah and I decided to head out to Webster cliff Trail to check out how my legs were holding up after the spazms on Saturday 8/6. Webster cliff is a place we always wanted to go but only looked at so it was a real treat.

After breakfast we heard the thru-hikers were still in bed so we knew we would see them one more time before we parted ways only this time it would be on the trail and the AT at that.

We left the parking area at the base of Ripley Falls Rd. (not sure what its real name is) and headed up the trail we heard was steep. No surprise, indeed it was. The weather was HUMID but storms to the north appeared to be brewing. as we chugged along the trail, we both had to stop often to catch our breath as we couldn't breath. The air was so thick you could stir it with a stick... cool song

My knees began to hurt early still sore from the pounding of days before. I had hoped that the few days swimming in the saco would have stretched my legs out enough and slowed any swelling. Unfortunately.. half way up the trail I all ready determined we were NOT going to summit Webster.

We carried on up the tough trail and finally found ourselves on the first outlook. we talked with a section hiker and 2 southbounders that had shown up. They were all rather tired themselves but in good spirits. The wind really whipped from the north carrying down the notch between ranges. We decided we would try and continue on to the next hump and see how we felt from there.

My leg muscles were extremely tired on the way over and I almost didn;t make it there. But Sarah pushed me along and we eventually reached the top of the next bulge with little trouble.. just a ton of sweat. We stopped to take some pictures before the clouds over took the summit of Wesbter and a quick sprinkle ensued. We hurredly packed up and headed back down to the car.

On the way down we ran into two gentlemen that George Fitch works with. They were very nice and entertained us with wonderful conversation. We soon after left them and ran into the thru-hikers we fed the night before. Saweegit, Method Man and one other whose name escapes me. They were so nice and we exchanged e-mail address's.

After reaching the car once more, we agreed it was indeed a tough trail and we headed for camp to take a quick nap before heading back to the swimming hole to soak my sore legs in the icy waters. We had a great time either way and it was nice to get out on the trail again. At least I could hike uphill again but... I was truly diminished and missing a good chunk of energy, I would now rest and get ready to Meet up with the gan on Garfield on Saturday 8/13... hope I can make it.

ChileMass

Webster Cliff Trail from south to north looks mighty steep indeed. Next time, perhaps try it from the other end, starting at Crawford Notch. It's a moderately steep climb to the top of Webster from that direction (about 2 miles, 2100'), and it's gotta be easier than going straight up from the Ripley Falls area. Once you get to the top of Webster, the cliff trail goes along the ridge and you can descend the steep southern end.

The day we were up there we decided to go to Jackson and Mizpah instead of along the cliffs, but someday I will get back up there - it looks spectacular.