• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Presi Traverse- 8.20.2005

pepsi

Date(s) Hiked: 8.20.2005

Trails(s) Hiked: Valley Way, Gulfside, Crawford Path, Webster Cliff, all side paths to peaks Madison, Adams, Jefferson, Clay, Washington, Monroe, Franklin, Pierce, Jackson, Webster

Total Distance: Unknown, about 23 I guess

Difficulty: *

Special Required Equipment: Wicking or quick dry everything including everything :). Layers, Wind/rain gear. Head covering. gloves. Energy foods. Headlamp. Poles helped with balance in some of the wind gusts. Pack liner would have been nice.

Conditions: Perfect hypothermia conditions. High winds, blowing rain, low temps. Exciting.

Trip Report:

Not wanting to disturb anyone I just got out of the sleeping bag, moved some things from the truck to the tent to make room for hikers and left. I stopped at a trailhead on the Kanc to wash and brush my teeth then again on Bear Notch Road to get something from the cooler to drink. I pulled into the Highland Center parking lot at about 4:45, 15 minutes early.
Adam introduced himself, he'd stayed in the bunkhouse and only had to walk outside to his car. I changed clothes and was putting my pack together when Jessbee pulled in followed by NH_Mtn_Hiker and Dugan. After some discussion about the weather it was decided that we would go to Madison and see how things developed from there. So NH_Mtn_Hiker and Adam left to spot a car at the Cog as a bailout point. The rest of us, well, I actually finished getting dressed and while we were waiting Lei pulled up
to join us. They got back from the car spot, we left my car and I think Dugan's at the Highland center and rode to Appalachia getting there in time to get on the trail at 6:17.

The six of us headed up Valley way, I stayed in the back most of the time talking to Lei. I had been avoiding this area for a while in order to save these peaks for last but she had been here many times. She said she hikes solo a lot and likes to stay with trails and peaks she knows. Well she picked some beautiful places to get to know :) The weather was great so far, all the wind that was at the Highland Center had stayed there. I zipped off my pant legs and took off the fleece top. It was warm and the skies were clear. Well, for a while. When we got to the hut Adam got water and I put on a long sleeve top and them we headed up Madison. NH_Mtn_Hiker hadn't gotten any sleep the night before and it was having a effect but he pushed on. Before the summit we were in the clouds and they were wet, the wind started to pick up a little so we didn't stay long. I think it was the first time for 3 of us.Back at the hut we filled up with water, I made some Gatorade, some had snacks, I think I started on the Gu and we headed out. The lack of sleep was catching up with NH_Mtn_Hiker.

Over Adams the wind started picking up again and on the peak and it was wet it was really blowing:) I wish I had some kind of wind gauge or at least could estimate better. I've got hundreds of thousands of motorcycle milea and I feel like I should be able to judge the speed but I guess having the handlebars to hold onto distorts the feeling. It was already feeling like above 40 mph to me but I guess it wasn't. Another peak for Adam, Jess, and myself. The others had been here many times.

In Edmand's Col I think it was that I stopped to add a windproof layer. Everyone else either had theirs on or put them on shortly, except Lei, she never got cold. Adam put his pack cover on and I helped put Lei's on her pack. NH_Mtn_Hiker was feeling the effects of sleep deprivation and was going out to Appalachia. Dugan would go along as well as Jessbee. I hope I get to hike with them again.

The three of us went on to Jefferson. Visibility was starting to decrease and the wind was really getting strong. Lei had been here many times also and I probably sounded like a kid. I wasn't really asking "are we there yet, are we there yet" but it might have sounded like that to her. When I caught a glimpse of something through the clouds I asked if that was the peak. She just laughed and said you can't see it until you get there and then it sneaks up on you.

On Jefferson I celebrated my 48th peak !!! :beer: :beer: I had brought champagne and those little plastic glasses but there was no chance of using them. I don't know what the wind speed was but When I reached out to hand the bottle to Adam in case he wanted a sip the wind sucked the liquid out of the bottle and started spraying it all over. I had trouble standing on the peak while Lei took a picture for me and she had trouble standing below and trying to hold the camera. I would have thought that it was probably 40-50 MPH but It was stronger on Washington and as far as can tell it didn't reach 50 MPH there either. Maybe I need another physics class. Adam had also bagged another, his third for the day, but was starting to get cold and thinking back I think I may have kept him there too long :(

After we left Jefferson and shortly aftr passing Monticello Lawn Adam and Lei started talking about wanting to go down the Jewell trail to Adam's car. This is where I may have done the hiking etiquette fau paux. First, most of my hikes have been solo so I'm used to being out on my own and I know my limitations. But, they had mentioned not splitting up the group more than we already had. When they started discussing the Jewell Trail I asked Adam if he would mind taking Lei to her car and he said he would do it so I figured that since they were going down together that no one was being left anywhere. I said I'd like to go on. Adam said he'd feel better about it if I took his headlamp as a spare because I mentioned that I had an led one with me but left the spot one behind. I felt better having two also.

I left them then and headed towards Clay.
On Clay the rain stung my legs and the wind was fierce and I laughed. It's a good thing Lei isn't here. We'd have to hold her down.

There are no views to describe anywhere here.

On towards Washington where I run into Anxious. Sobo, totally not having much fun. My stuff will be in the car tonight. His will be wet for awhile. As we start up as hard as the wind is blowing and I swear some of the rain was white!! couple of guys on their way down say "man, it feels good that the wind lets up down here"!! We talked to the top when we were close enough to hear and made a quick trip to the rockpile when we got there. No pictures this time, although for the first time that I have been there there is no one waiting to get up there and not a bunch of people milling around. Well, I don't think there was, couldn't have seen them anyway:) Anxious wants to know where the warm building is and we go in. He seems to be in no hurry to leave for the hut. That was as far as he was going today. I told him I really need to keep moving so if he was going to be ok I was going to leave. He asked where the trail to the hut was, I explained it to him and left. It was then that he realized that he might have left some warm layer clothes at Madison hut. I think they could radio the hut and maybe someone would bring them along? At least I hope so or he'll have to go back or shopping when he gets to 302.I say goodbye and step outside. Just one step, then I went back in and zipped on the pant legs :)

Leaving Washington the visibility was not good, standing between the building and the antenna you could see neither. Starting out slowly, adjusting the platypus hose, I was soon overtaken by John, a hut worker on his way back with some supplies. He asked if he could pass. And thanked me. Once I got the hose right I picked up speed and soon he was asking if I wanted to get by. I said I was fine and we talked for a bit. He told me about some of the people that he'd seen that day. Those must have been some of those that were trying to find rides down. He asked me a few questions, feeling me out I guess and when I told him I came from Appalachia he said if I had been out here all day and was not cold yet he wasn't concerned about me. I told him I still had a dry fleece top and a damp bottom layer that would be ok if I needed it. He said to stop at the hut and get something warm to drink and he stopped to talk to some other hut workers and take a break. I came to two people that asked where I was headed. They were going to go as far as Pierce and then go down, avoiding any peaks they could. I told them where I was going and said that when I got down I would drive by the trailhead and make sure that they weren't still trying to get to their car.
I stopped at the hut just to get water and leave. John came in and said that if I went on to Jackson and Webster to let them know at Mizpah hut.

Going over Monroe I came to the Two hikers again. They hadn't stopped at the hut. I said "I thought you were avoiding the peaks"
She talked him into it:)
Monroe was just windy with a light rain. Like fog with the wind driving it I guess. As I started up Franklin I looked back. The visibilty must have been improving because I could still see them. I think they were standing still. Maybe deciding whether to go up or around. Coming down and back to the Crawford Path the wind let up again some and I looked to the side to see if I could see them but didn't and I looked back but the peak was in the clouds.
Up over Eisenhower I was thinking that it's always windy when I'm here and that if someone was to repaint that sign in the morning, it would look the same as now by nightfall. And ol J. Raynor was up here building trails in this.
I looked once more to see if they had avoided Ike but visibility had diminished and I never saw them again. I did look at the trailhead where they were going out but there was no one there. I'm sure they got there hours ago.

On Pierce I stopped to take a picture the rain had stopped!!

At Mizpah hut there was some people standing outside smoking. They said don't go in it's crazy in there. They were serving dinner. I had never been to a hut when they were serving so I didn't know what to expect. Maybe they'd offer me something to eat and I'd have to be rude and eat and run. As much as I didn't want to stop long I was starving and knew I wouldn't turn it down. I think if they offer me food I'll come back and do dishes on September 10 as a surprise.
This would be the last stop so I mixed up some gatorade and filled all the bottles. No one at the hut even looked my way. I checked out the map on the counter so I wouldn't have to get mine out. It was wet and the pages were sticking together, making it hard to open. Especially with gloves on. And the gloves were wet which made them hard to get off without them going inside out. Then I noticed a t-shirt. It had the hut name and elevation with an outline of some peaks. Not only not cotton but not bad looking and I sort of liked it. I asked if they had a medium and he said only large so I said ok, large, with $25 in my hand. Then he says, we're serving dinner right now and this counter doesn't open until 8:30. Daylight is burning and he wants me to wait and hour and some to reach down and hand me a shirt?? And he walked away. :roll:

Well at least I got out quick and I wasn't the rude one. And, I don't have to do the dishes. I was starving but I wanted to use what light there was for hiking. I would eat when it got dark.Outside a mom comes up and then her two kids that would be staying at the hut. One of the kids told me anyone that anyone that did this for fun was crazy and the other just remarked that either he hated hiking or hiking sucks. I can't remember which.

To Jackson it was just nice It had actually cleared up some, starting to get a little foggy or low clouds. I'm not sure what you would call it. I got more daylight than I expected. Stopped to take a picture at each peak and then moved on. Nothing to see. Not like last time when I could see back to the hut where I had been and Washington which seemed so out of reach at the time. I mean, I had been to Washington but there was no way that I could have come from there to where I was standing in one day. I had come from Eisenhower then and that was unbelievable to me then. I remember going up Ike and then adding Pierce on a whim. It wouldn't be that far to road walk to the car. Then adding Jackson, I just knew I could hitch a ride. Never saw a car:)

This time to Jackson there were no views but I felt better than ever and I hadn't even changed my socks yet. Stopped to take a picture of the cairn and moved on.

Shortly before Webster I ran out of daylight and put on my headlamp. The led worked best, either reflected back but I put the LED off to the side so it wasn't pointing directly forward and it worked and the reflection back from the side actually helped light up some in front. Enough to see the trail. I got to the sign to Webster and headed up paying close attention to a particular tree behind me so I would know where I was on the way down. On Webster the clouds had sunk down again so I had to go on to make sure I was really at the top and not some false peak. After a while it was obvious that I had gone far enough and went back up the peak and down the other side. Now, I must have missed the sign because I have gone too far. No big deal, I'm still on the trail just turn around and go to the sign. I go a hundred feet or so and change my mind. I've seen this from this direction before. Turn around again and just past where I turned around the first time is the sign :eek:
Turn down the Webster Cliff Trail in total darkness. Now, I've been to West Bond in the dark but this was different. There, there was moonlight, and clearer skies that let the headlamp shine.

This night the headlamp is reflecting back some so I have to keep moving my head around, looking for the trail ahead and down for obstacles. This is wicked cool!! Every once in a while I had to stop and look and those things that during the day you just glance and without even thinking know that's not the trail this is. Right over the water the fog is thick, I find a rock to sit on and have some peanut butter and crackers. Sitting by the water and there are no bugs!! I haven't been bitten all day!! I get out the spot headlamp and shine it around it just reflects back. I get out the map and peal it open with my teeth so I don't have to take the gloves off :) Time to move on, little trouble finding the trailhead on the other side but not a big deal. The other crossings were the same, heavy fog but the trail was easier to follow there. The fog lifted a little or I got below it and the spot lamp opened out wide would work good if I turned my head a little away from where I wanted to go and looked over to it and my speed increased some. Not much reflection that way. I heard a growl at one point but only once and no rustle of brush. It was close but I'm not sure if it was a bear or not. I stopped for a few seconds and listened but nothing.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was less than 1 mph on parts of the lower WCT but it didn't really matter. None of this does. They're not going to write any stories or songs about it and it was an epic only to me. I feel foolish even writing it down. And it's too long. But it's my new favorite hike I think. Thanks for looking.:)

cbcbd

Lol, that's some good stuff, pepsi...

I'm usually a solo hiker too, so I feel what you meant out there - I guess you could say it's an etiquette fau paux, but hey, sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

I'd like to do that traverse sometime, sounds like tons of fun.

bobandgeri

Website
www.rbhayes.net
Pepsi - way to go!!! Great report and trip.

How long was the overall trip?

For anyone reading his report that agrees it sounds like fun - a few of us are planning the same trip over Labor Day Weekend - contact us if you are interested in learning more.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
ChileMass said:
Holy crap - what a grind!! And this is your idea of a fun Saturday - ?????? :D :D :D

Even worse - it was his idea of how to finish the 48 - Congratulations, Pepsi! On to Vermont and Maine!!!
:beer:

Got any pictures from when the weather was still good?

Sherpa John

Website
www.wildwhites.com
If I am not mistaken the traverse you did including Webster is OVER 27 Miles. HOLY COW!

Congrats on finishing your 48 Pepsi, wish I could have been there. I guess now I'll give you a patch next time I see you. You earned it after that.

There is something about those who set goals and strive to achieve them, your final hike is a testament to that. :beer:

cbcbd

bobandgeri said:
For anyone reading his report that agrees it sounds like fun - a few of us are planning the same trip over Labor Day Weekend - contact us if you are interested in learning more.
Dang it, I would...
But that's ok, I'll be in the Alps ;)

jessbee

Congrats again pepsi. I wish I could have finished it with you, so much for my stupid cotton pants :). That is definitely my idea of a great hike!

pepsi

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, it was definately a long day. Just how long, I'm not sure. I do know I would start earlier next time, like about 4:00 or so. Webster and down in the dark really slowed things down.

MtnMagic

Pepsi: You still know how to waste a whole day!
:wink:
I had the flu or I definitely would have met up with you at the Mooseland. My congratulations to you on time well spent completeing your 48!