• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most challenging trail at your home hill?

Greg

Staff member
At Sundown, it's definitely Temptor right now. I suspect once Gunbarrel is seeded, that will take the top spot as most challenging, although there will be a groomed side. Currently on Temptor there is no escaping the bumps. I've seen people walk down the gullies along the sides... :lol:

2knees

At Sundown, it's definitely Temptor right now. I suspect once Gunbarrel is seeded, that will take the top spot as most challenging, although there will be a groomed side. Currently on Temptor there is no escaping the bumps. I've seen people walk down the gullies along the sides... :lol:

now you're just inventing new ways to talk about bumps and sundown. :razz:

drjeff

On map at Mount Snow, The Plunge (the trees next to Ripcord). Off Map definately ............. :)

skiadikt

The AZ community can't get enough.

speaking of bumps at sundown ... i'm just curious about the steepness of those trails. what trails do they compare with at killington in terms of steepness?

back on topic, at k, i'd say as far as trails go, lower ovation but since it's very condition dependent, lower double dipper & downdraft could qualify as well. as far as on the map trees, i'd say centerpiece.

Greg

Staff member
speaking of bumps at sundown ... i'm just curious about the steepness of those trails. what trails do they compare with at killington in terms of steepness?

Temptor probably compares to Vertigo from the crossover below the headwall. Not anywhere near as wide or long as Vertigo from that spot, but overall the pitch is pretty similar. Gunbarrel has a steeper section at the top. Once they seed it, it will be about 1,800 linear feet in length and a vertical drop of probably 500 feet. Pretty decent for CT.

skiadikt

Temptor probably compares to Vertigo from the crossover below the headwall. Not anywhere near as wide or long as Vertigo from that spot, but overall the pitch is pretty similar. Gunbarrel has a steeper section at the top. Once they seed it, it will be about 1,800 linear feet in length and a vertical drop of probably 500 feet. Pretty decent for CT.

certainly not shabby ... you guys are actually very fortunate to have a mtn that maintains some bump runs and a surprisingly high percentage given the overall size of the place.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
For Ragged, I'd have to nominate Double Take. It's technically not my home mountain, but Mountain Creek is boring and a couple of my friends have season passes at Ragged, which is much more interesting. Double Take is a gladed trail that drops off the back side of the mountain, and comes around to funnel into Not Too Shabby, another gladed trail. It's trees from top to bottom, steep enough that it would be a difficult hike up in the summer time, and narrow enough to limit your options where you can only take 1 or 2 different lines down.

campgottagopee

At Greek for non-gladed would be the Olympian---good steep headwall that rarely gets groomed. Gladed would be Ronnies Run---not tough by any means as for a "real trail" but tougher than our other one.

mondeo

Incidentally, maximum WC run length is about 900 feet, with a vertical drop of about 425 feet assuming a 28 degree pitch.

mondeo

back on topic, at k, i'd say as far as trails go, lower ovation but since it's very condition dependent, lower double dipper & downdraft could qualify as well. as far as on the map trees, i'd say centerpiece.
On map trees I don't have enough experience, but for trails, I'd probably say Outer Limits. Upper Vertigo, Lower Ovation, and Conclusion definately have more challenging sections, but are relatively short. Fiddle is partly between the steeps of the others and length of OL. Dipper is a groomer, the times I've been on it Downdraft was as well. O.L. is a long, consistent steep pitch with bumps. Unless you can ski bumps, it's a long ways down from the top. Gives 'lapping' a new meaning for skiing - the good bump skiers will actually pass some people twice on one run.

Now when it's groomed, different story. Oh, and if the Fiddle has manky snow, it's so difficult that you're forced onto the last foot of your tails to survive it.

Of course, one could argue Juggernaut is the most challenging trail, but from an aerobic and frustrating point of view.

Other home hill, Temptor or Gunny, whichever is seeded.

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
At Jiminy Peak it has to be "Cutter". Only a quick plunge from one green down to another, but it has to equal the pitch of their flagship trail Jericho and they actually let it bump up and rarely ever groom it.
I don;t see much difference between Jiminy's "Front Four" Exhibition, Whirlaway, Whitetail, Jericho, The other Black Diamond is Wild Turkey. Crazy Chicken may not have the pitch but it does have a few turns in it.

Greg

Staff member
Incidentally, maximum WC run length is about 900 feet, with a vertical drop of about 425 feet assuming a 28 degree pitch.

I think there are sections of Gunny that come close to 28 degrees, but they're short. Still an 1,800 foot long bump run of decent pitch is going to be sick!!

highpeaksdrifter

I'm going to say Empire at Whiteface.

That may change this weekend because they are opening Lookout Below on the Lookout Mt. expansion. It is 800 vert of steep and I'm told they will basically leave it alone so it will bump up big.