• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown BUMP or BUST Mogul Competition - 1/24/09

2knees

Here's how the brackets worked out. I think I got everyone right:

12409-Brackets.png

Nice job to gmcunni for qualifying in the top 10!!! :spread:

:lol: I hope johhnyp doesnt see this. He got the two seed, then drew the one seed in the second round. unless they reseeded everyone after the first head to head, this could be tweaked for next time i think.

he shouldve faced the 7 seed.

johnny talked about being hosed in last years event right up until this years event. Now we can hear him bitch about this until march! :lol:

just so anyone doesnt take it the wrong way, i dont think its a big deal at all. keeping in mind it was for FUN!

bvibert

Staff member
:lol: I hope johhnyp doesnt see this. He got the two seed, then drew the one seed in the second round. unless they reseeded everyone after the first head to head, this could be tweaked for next time i think.

I posted about this further back in the thread. I think the finals ended up being pretty good, but... The brackets didn't do the seeding justice. You gotta give the #2 seed a chance to see the #1 seed in the finals. Ideally you shouldn't have had to go up against 180 until the semi-finals either Pat.

I know it's all in good fun and all, the logical side of me gets irritated by stuff like that though. ;)

powhunter

johnny talked about being hosed in last years event right up until this years event. Now we can hear him bitch about this until march! :lol:

just so anyone doesnt take it the wrong way, i dont think its a big deal at all. keeping in mind it was for FUN!

Ill have to bring this up to him...then have to hear about it for a year!!! Actually he came over the other night to watch the vid and I showed him how to post here..so hopefully we will hear more from him

steveo

SKidds

You guys sure know how to make a bump contest look like fun.......and then have even more fun talking about it. Great job. I'm hoping to get to a bump contest at one of the mountains this year, and I may be leaning toward Bump and Bust 2. The Apple Butter Moguls at Whiteface this year is the week of our kids spring break, so I'm likely to be on a beach and not the slopes on April 4. Walt's Bump Contest is at Gore on March 21, while Bump and Bust is March 22. So, it's either 2.5 hours north to Gore, or 1.5 east to Sundown.......and I'm liking the shorter drive and the fun factor you guys exhibit.

Just a few observations...............

The videos are great. Must be fun to see yourselves in the midst of competition. Some nice runs.

Downhill04........sick crash, and captured well on video. Love Jarrod's editing. Slow mo, the black and white effect, the music. Very dramatic presentation of what will become a legendary biff, I'm sure. Feel better soon, and hope your return to the slopes comes quick. At any point after that nice air did the words "speed check" ever enter your mind?

The organizers have to learn how to properly run a bracket with seeds. 1, 3, 5, and 7 should be in the top half and 2, 4, 6, and 8 should be in the bottom. The number 1 and 2 seeds should never meet that early in head to head. But all in all it looks like the organizers do a great job. Sundown really seems committed to events like Bump and Bust, among others. Great way to make a small hill something special.

mondeo

The organizers have to learn how to properly run a bracket with seeds. 1, 3, 5, and 7 should be in the top half and 2, 4, 6, and 8 should be in the bottom. The number 1 and 2 seeds should never meet that early in head to head. But all in all it looks like the organizers do a great job. Sundown really seems committed to events like Bump and Bust, among others. Great way to make a small hill something special.

Nah, 1, 4, 5 and 8 go in the top half, 2, 3, 6, and 7 go bottom. Then 1v 8, 4v5 and 2v7, and 3v6 assuming top seeds advance.

Other way you can do it is reseed each round, like they do in the NHL.

SKidds

Nah, 1, 4, 5 and 8 go in the top half, 2, 3, 6, and 7 go bottom. Then 1v 8, 4v5 and 2v7, and 3v6 assuming top seeds advance.
Yeah, that is the best way to set it up. Anything is better than having the top four seeds in the same half of the draw.

2knees

greg.gif

greg, thats a cool pic but i keep thinking your taking a leak or zipping up your fly. :lol:

downhill04

Downhill04........sick crash, and captured well on video. Love Jarrod's editing. Slow mo, the black and white effect, the music. Very dramatic presentation of what will become a legendary biff, I'm sure. Feel better soon, and hope your return to the slopes comes quick. At any point after that nice air did the words "speed check" ever enter your mind?

Speed check? what is that? haha

2knees

Speed check? what is that? haha

you know, in a sick way its probably good you didnt make it down the whole course cause then all of us standing at the bottom would've been the bowling pins to your bowling ball. Lol, a 7-10 split.

2knees

but the bottom is where some people looked the best, and others the worst,

I downloaded your vid and jarrods vid and was playing around with them when i realized one thing. I cant believe there werent a few other big time yardsales especially on the bottom part. A bunch of people made some pretty hairy recoveries down there. The dude who got the 16 seed just about buries the front 1/3 of his ski into a bump, at high speed, all front seat peering through the window, and pulls off a one legged recovery.

bvibert

Staff member
I downloaded your vid and jarrods vid and was playing around with them when i realized one thing. I cant believe there werent a few other big time yardsales especially on the bottom part. A bunch of people made some pretty hairy recoveries down there. The dude who got the 16 seed just about buries the front 1/3 of his ski into a bump, at high speed, all front seat peering through the window, and pulls off a one legged recovery.

Yes, there were some serious recoveries made in that lower section.

gmcunni

Chris/Jarrod, thought there was a guy shooting photos from the bottom of the course near the judges, can you let us know when those pics get posted?