• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It's looking like the storm backend winds are going to be very light. A perfect setup!

Scott says (with regard to No. VT)
"
We're going to get crushed tomorrow afternoon/evening it looks like. All
12z models are very favorable for +SN across the north country. Will issue
a forecast this afternoon but totals will be higher than my prelim 5-10"
from Sunday."

Greg

Staff member
Look at all that pink (Winter Storm Warnings):

us.png

What a beautiful map!

polski

Website
twitter.com
Not to r*** on anyone's parade but from various sources I've checked the models seem to have evolved as they often do and mixing or worse appears to be an issue up into SC VT and S NH, with a little sleet not entirely out of the question farther north.

I'm able to take a day off Thurs off so my fingers are crossed for an MRG powder fix. Concerned about driving conditions from NE Mass but currently it appears precip should end somewhere around midnight tomorrow night so I'm hoping any icy roads down this way have been taken care of as daybreak nears. As billski notes, doesn't look like wind will be a problem Thurs.

Euler

Not to r*** on anyone's parade but from various sources I've checked the models seem to have evolved as they often do and mixing or worse appears to be an issue up into SC VT and S NH, with a little sleet not entirely out of the question farther north.

HISSSSS:flame:

BUT...I think the warming is associated with the northward shifting of the storm track, so along with a bit of sleet mixed in, SoVT is also now predicted to get walloped with a huge QPF...up to 1.25 inches of liquid equivalent now predicted, so the amount of snow and sleet might be huge. Up to 16 inches might come from this storm. Just hope it doesn't continue to warm aloft too much and cover the new snow with that famous SoVT breakable crust.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
WOOOO!!!! Bring it north, baby! SNE has had a banner year. Time for a big dump up in the hills. Too bad I won't be able to enjoy it until Saturday. Might be a BC weekend. So far this season, the biggest dumps have fallen on "no vaca day" weeks for me, bummer. But this may be the best January I have experienced as a skier to date. With exception of about the first five days (which still had good coverage for the first week of the month), January has been exceptional and no thaw or NCP in the hills. Nice way to end the month.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Got the next 2 days off and sopme 2fers at MRG. Tomorrow might be my first lift day of the year...thursday some bushwhackin.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Scott B has posted his final. He thinks no sleet north of Killington and possibly as much as 18" somewhere along the spine between there and I-89. His forecast is VT-centric; NWS-Gray now forecasting 10-16" in the Whites and NW Maine, nearly as much in central NH but with some sleet mixing there.

Terry

They are calling for 14-24 inches for us in western Maine now!! WooHoo!! 2-3" an hour all afternoon and evening. :snow:

Euler

Just got the phone call...school's closed so I'm packing up the gear so the kids and I can spend this storm day at the mountain. Should be a hoot...my little guy will be able to go a bit bigger on his jumps, cause the soft snow doesn't hurt quite so much.