• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/28 Storm Discussion Thread

Glenn

Just got the phone call...school's closed so I'm packing up the gear so the kids and I can spend this storm day at the mountain. Should be a hoot...my little guy will be able to go a bit bigger on his jumps, cause the soft snow doesn't hurt quite so much.

Nice! Doesn't get much better than that! Have a great time!

We've got a few inches of snow here; all the schools are shut. The big story will be the change over to sleet and freezing rain later today. Then the temps drop tonight. It'll probably be a good idea to clear off the driveway once the changeover happens. I don't want frozen block of snowment......

psyflyer

2 inches overnight on Burke Mt. should be followed by an EXTRA 16 inches according to a savvy chair-lift operator friend of mine who has the local "scoop". Local forecast calling up to 16 inches total for the ski-area. BOOOOM!!!

ETA: We are expecting only snow out of this storm up here. KILLER!!

jerseyrob

Saddleback Tomorrow!!!! Driving through the bulk tonight.....wish me luck!!

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 7 AM
EST THURSDAY...
.TODAY...SNOW. SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW
ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES. HIGHS AROUND 18. LIGHT AND VARIABLE
WINDS...BECOMING EAST AROUND 10 MPH THIS AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW
NEAR 100 PERCENT.
.TONIGHT...SNOW. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE EVENING. TOTAL
SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 14 TO 24 INCHES. LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE.
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT.
CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 8 BELOW
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Greg

Staff member
3", 21 degrees and slowly rising...

tipsdown

Saddleback Tomorrow!!!! Driving through the bulk tonight.....wish me luck!!

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM THIS MORNING TO 7 AM
EST THURSDAY...
.TODAY...SNOW. SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS AFTERNOON. SNOW
ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES. HIGHS AROUND 18. LIGHT AND VARIABLE
WINDS...BECOMING EAST AROUND 10 MPH THIS AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF SNOW
NEAR 100 PERCENT.
.TONIGHT...SNOW. SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES IN THE EVENING. TOTAL
SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 14 TO 24 INCHES. LOWS AROUND 10 ABOVE.
NORTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST AFTER MIDNIGHT.
CHANCE OF SNOW NEAR 100 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 8 BELOW
AFTER MIDNIGHT.

Make sure you leave us some untracked in the woods. I can't get there until Saturday and it's killing me. Good luck getting up there!

LonghornSkier

I saw a forecast that said 14-22 for Cannon.:D Is it just me or has NH been just as good or better than VT this year.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Scott B has posted his final. He thinks no sleet north of Killington and possibly as much as 18" somewhere along the spine between there and I-89. His forecast is VT-centric; NWS-Gray now forecasting 10-16" in the Whites and NW Maine, nearly as much in central NH but with some sleet mixing there.

NWS has just up-lifted it's NH and ME forecast, while sticking with it's VT numbers. I think the Gray Maine office goes to bed early.....

I'm seeing much higher numbers forecasted now for the North Conway area: 10- 14 today, 7-11 tonight. If I do my math right, that's 17-25 in Mt. Washington Valley. Do I hear Black or Wildcat calling me?

Maine is gonna get the goods too. Bethel Maine is forecasted for 9-13 plus 8-12 = 17 to 25.
Scotty, warp speed.

Choices, choices, choices. This bears watching, gonna be an interesting day at the tube. I'll make up my mind tonight.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I saw a forecast that said 14-22 for Cannon.:D Is it just me or has NH been just as good or better than VT this year.

I can't speak from experience having not skied in VT yet, but if I were to guess what area has gotten the most snow so far this season, it would be Killington.

It's hard to tell with the Northern VT areas though. Stowe gets a number of 6-8 over night lake affect events that aren't in the forecast.

frozencorn

NWS has just up-lifted it's NH and ME forecast, while sticking with it's VT numbers. I think the Gray Maine office goes to bed early.....

I'm seeing much higher numbers forecasted now for the North Conway area: 10- 14 today, 7-11 tonight. If I do my math right, that's 17-25 in Mt. Washington Valley. Do I hear Black or Wildcat calling me?

Maine is gonna get the goods too. Bethel Maine is forecasted for 9-13 plus 8-12 = 17 to 25.
Scotty, warp speed.

Choices, choices, choices. This bears watching, gonna be an interesting day at the tube. I'll make up my mind tonight.

A co-worker of mine (nonskier) is out today sick...I really think I caught something she gave to me (cough) before she left yesterday (hack). Might not make it in tomorrow.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I've skied both, the greens have been better this season. That could change today.

checkout these charts, make up your own mind:

sd1_today.jpg

qpf_total_a.png

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Crapuweather clears the aisles

The latest Crapuweather inflammation.

Deadly Storm Reaches Northeast

Well, I hope the headline at least clears northbound travel lanes....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
A co-worker of mine (nonskier) is out today sick...I really think I caught something she gave to me (cough) before she left yesterday (hack). Might not make it in tomorrow.

You really don't look well. Suggest you stay home tomorrow, just to play it safe, make sure nobody else at the office catches what you have. I'll vouch for you. 8)

jerseyrob

jersey rob, you da man! you in da money. you may NEVA come back! ENJOY!
:spread:

remember, we want a TR with SICK pictures, dammit!

8)

Hahahaha!!! Thanks billski! The camera is charging right now.......hopefully we'll get the goods!!! Gotta wait until the wifey gets out of work(8:00pm) to leave. Gonna be a slow drive. Not gonna get much done at work today that's for sure!

Greg

Staff member
22.5, closing in on 4" and snowing moderately heavy. Hoping the mix stays away as much as possible.