• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

8/27: "The Twinway Experience"

Sherpa John

Website
www.wildwhites.com
Date(s) Hiked: 8/27

Trails(s) Hiked: Gale River, Twinway, N. Twin Spur, Bondcliff, West Bond Spur, Zealand Spur

Total Distance: 23.6 mi.

Difficulty: Exhausting

Conditions: Some Mud on Twinway between S. Twin and Guyot..otherwise.. PERFECT!

Special Required Equipment: Food and Drink

After waking up at the campsite my friend Firefly showed me, I quickly packed everything up to get on with my day. As I took the short drive North towards Franconia Notch, I was thinking of what peaks I wanted to do today and in what order to do them. My route was still up in the air. all I knew was that I am working on the 48 for the 2nd time for 2005.. and I needed to bag Zealand, West Bond, N. Twin and Galehead.

In the middle of arguing with myself, I missed Exit 32.. and at the same moment.. missed breakfast. I continued on. When I got to the Gale River trailhead I remembered.. that I forgot the slices of pizza left over from the night before. so now.. no breakfast and no lunch. I had 3 cliff bars, no more gatorade mix and now I was angry at myself.

But I threw the slackpack on and headed up the trail leaving the parking area at 7:26 AM. It was a cool morning in the whites. Cold in the places the sun hadn;t quite made it to yet and warm where it had. It was enjoyable all the same as I scurried along. After hitting the Garfield Ridge trail, the hikers who had spent the night at galehead hut were just now coming down the trail heading for their cars. I figure about 15 or so passed me by.

8:40 AM: I reached Galehead hut and refilled my water. I drank 3L during the 4.6 to here. WOW! I was thirsty. I then ate half a clif bar and struck of conversation with some Thru-hikers. It's been 2 weeks since I have seen a happy thru-hiker.. no different today. After about 15 minutes, I packed up and quickly bagged Galehead. Then drank some hut lemonade before heading up the Twinway.

The steep climb up S. Twin seems to get easier and easier each time I get there. After all... this WAS my 4th time there this year now.. and my 3rd time heading UP. Upon reaching the summit of S. Twin, I paused to take in the views. By far one of the most underrated summits... the vast expanse of wilderness around you is hard to fathom. After a quick Breather and a short argument about which peaks to head for 1st.. I decided to get N. Twin out of the way.

Just below the summit of N. Twin I ran into the N. Twin Spur trail adopter hard at work creating a much needed water bar. THANKS! I reached the summit of N. Twin, gave a quick look around at the view point and then headed back for S. Twin. On the summit of S. Twin I again took a prolonged rest this time to watch something I had NEVER seen before.. a Peregrine Falcon. He was being chased by a noisy Raven... quick a spectacle to watch. Man did the raven seem slow.

I then decided to head for Guyot. I LOVE the Twinway between S. Twin and Guyot. The forest seems of infinite yet.. PERFECT. You could almost assume that every tree was placed in its location for a reason and that it grew straight for an even greater reason. just a cool place. Upon reaching the Bondcliff Trail junction.. I decided to head to West Bond first. So up the ridge I went headed for the bonds.. a favorite place as well.

There were TONS of people leaving and heading to Guyot. It had been quite some time before I had seen a trail so busy. When I reached W. bond a man by the name of barry was watching the ravens through binoculars. He asked how I was doing and I replied.. I was great till now. I became upset as the West Bond summit cairn had been knocked over by the psycho "Ranger Dick." Man am I pissed!!

Barry and I shared stories of hiking the 48 and he was a fun guy. But soon enough we parted ways and I headed back for Guyot. At Guyot I ran into Cody, the Guyot Shelter caretaker. We discussed some issues about wilderness ethics as well as flags on the 48 as I'll be renting a place at his "chateau." Nice guy but being that it was now 1:06.. time was slipping away fast.

I then hurried down the twinway towards Zealand, bagged the summit and then turned back for Guyot again. On the way down Zealand I slipped on a rock and SMASHED my ankle into the side of a rock. I have a small cut and it hurts like HELL tonight!

Upon returning to Guyot I knew what was to come. The long gradual 2 mile hike to South Twin.. again.. which would prove to be the barrier for the day. I was starving having eaten all the clif bars, no more gatorade and I could feel ym water going Low. Emotionally, it had been a long week.. and a VERY long day with lots of miles alone. It was time to really move and try to get to South Twin before I broke down.

Amazingly enough.. not sure how I did it.. I made it back to S. Twin in a half hour, I was exhausted but feeling in good spirits. I chatted with some folks staying at Galehead who had wandered up to explore.. and then gave them the tour by naming all the peaks you could see. I LOVE helping folks identify what they are looking it. They get so amazed at how many 4Ks are visible.. especially on a day like today.

I then headed back to the hut for some more lemonade, a refill on the Camelbak and then headed for home. I made it back to the car for 6:03. I had an OK time up there today. I had TONS to think about and though it did me some good, it also did me some bad. But I'm ok.. I put on a lot of miles (23.6) and after 10 1/2 hours... I was now up to 32 for the 2nd round of the year. I am VERY excited.. because I have the peaks whom are strung together left.. could be interesting for sure.

until next time..

Happy Trails
SJ

SilentCal

Staking your spot at Guyot for Flags already, sweet! Looks like we will have quite the gang up there. Make sure you get a group photo of you guys staying there. My feet just hurt reading your report. The 20-mile days for me are fading away fast.......

MtnMagic

Great report and great reading your last 2 days of hiking. I too, enjoy the views from South Twin.

Only 23 miles in a day and you admit is was a lot of miles, geesh! Special equipment required: food and drink -- but not the determination needed and the energy one has in their youth!

See you in the mountains!
:D