• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

looking for good day hikes in the catskills

jstarks188

howdy,
Carol and I are heading toward the catskills for the labor weekend. any suggestions on a good day hike in the region?
if time permits i hope to get down to bethel,ny and the woodstock site i know it's only an open field now,but it is a piece of rock and roll history
jack

Mike P.

There are several good day hikes in the area. Having the Catskill maps is a big plus.

Wittenberg, Cornell & Slide is a classic full day
Slide can be done from CR47 RT in around 5 miles & 3 hours or so.

Hunter can be done from a few different approaches, either as 1 over 10 mile more greadual trip or a under 8 mile RT with a hefty climb.

Peaks to the east of Hunter have trails thatmake convenient loops with views. Twin, Sugarloaf & Indian Head. Blackhead Range to the north has some good trips too.

una_dogger

Another great one is the Ashokan High Point Loop, super views, really nice walk, and blueberries on the summit.

Do you have the NYNJ Trail Conference Maps for the Catskills?

Sugarloaf Loop is also a good one with some rock scrambling.

Don't miss Minnewaska State Preserve and the village of New Paltz, especially if you mountain bike.

A favorite outdoor weekend of mine is one day hiking in the Catskills followed by one day mountain biking at Minnewaska, followed by one of the many yummy restuarants in New Paltz.

Have a great weekend!

Sabrina

noreaster

From North/South Lake NY State DEC campsite near Haines Falls, NY there are many nice day hikes. The escarpment trail is very easy (flat) and has awesome views. There are more difficult trails near North/South Lake campsite as well.

Hunter Mtn fire tower is one of my favorites from the Spruceton side. Take eithther 28 to 42 or 23A to 42 and then take County Route 6 about 7 miles to the parking lot for the trail head to Hunter Mtn fire tower. The Spruceton valley is like going back in time. It just doesn't ever change. The becker trail to Hunter Mtn off route 214 is a steep climb and another excellent day hike that starts out through some black berries.

As mentioned above, the hike up Slide Mountnain is another nice hike from County Route 47. Take 28 west from Kingston, take left on 47 at Big Indian. After you climb a steep windy road section, the parking lot for the trail head is another half mile or so on the left.