• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Traitorous Thoughts

Greg

Staff member
To everything there is a season. I try to enjoy each one as they come. Otherwise, I feel like I'm wishing my life away.

Right on HPD. Until last summer, the end of the ski season would really bum me out and I would spend all summer thinking about and wishing it was ski season. I think I'll be able to cope much better this year with the MTB opportunities.

Jisch

I go day by day, if the conditions/weather are good for MTB, then I do that, if its good for skiing I do that. I had hoped to go MTBing tonight, but not enough ice and too much snow... ARGH!!!! I suppose there's always snowshoeing, but that's just hiking... Realistically DH skiing is not in the cards every time I want to, its too expensive and too much time.

John

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's not so much that I'm "wishing my life away".. it's just that it's been on my mind lately, though not intentionally. I'm enjoying ski season, but I'm also looking forward to MTB season. Perhaps the rain has brought about these warmer weather thoughts...

MR. evil

I can't wait until MTB season gets here. Then again I am just really looking forward to getting some trail time on my new ride. However I still have a few parts to purchase before its done.

Last edited:

Jisch

I'm headed out to do a ride tomorrow morning (Feb 1) at 8:30 at the Snip in Somers/Ellington CT if anyone else is interested in a little espionage.

John

Jisch

Treachery will be met with punishment apparently. Conditions at Snip were barely rideable. We walked a bit. We climbed up to the summit twice on the snow covered roads and descended on the singletrack. The downhills were really pretty insane with a narrow path of packed snow covering the steep trails. It was a lot of fun and my legs are pretty thrashed, but not sure I would suggest it as a ride right now.

John

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Winter is not ready to relinquish the trails yet. ;)

Incidentally, I actually had a MTB dream yesterday that I was riding on the snow. :D

Jisch

One pic (Severine - if you haven't ever ridden in the snow, you should try it. In the right conditions (unlike today apparently) riding in the snow is a complete gas. Double wheeled slides, locked up rear tires around corners, its all so cool. It's also good for skills development as well, balancing without firm footing:

DSC07377-1.jpg

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Seeing as I have a hard enough time riding on the regular ole dirt, snow might be a bit out of my league right now. :oops: But it definitely would be a way to vary things and really check your skills!

Greg

Staff member
Got a lot of MTB on the brain lately. Not totally sure why. Still in full on ski mode, but it's nice to know there is something else waiting for me to do in a few months.

Greg

Staff member
Tonight I started browsing old TRs from the summer/fall. I used to do the same thing with skiing TRs during the summer. Sick, I know. Looking forward to riding!

bvibert

Staff member
Tonight I started browsing old TRs from the summer/fall. I used to do the same thing with skiing TRs during the summer. Sick, I know. Looking forward to riding!

:lol:

It's going to be a good season. Now lets finish off the one at hand first! :p

Greg

Staff member
While bringing the garbage pails to the end of the driveway tonight, it occurred to me that my ski season will likely be over in less than 8 weeks. Sundown will be closed in probably 4 1/2 weeks. That was depressing until I realized that I'll probably be back on the MTB in 5 weeks or so. Thank god for rediscovering it. :)

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:D I've had a lot of thoughts lately about how in about a month's time, Sundown will be closed for the season... and I'm looking forward to MTBing again. That and running outside season. I'm already considering which 5Ks I'll be running this year.