• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nastar!

Greg

Staff member
I'm officially a NASTAR member! :lol: I'm going to try a run this afternoon. I want to see how I compare on my completely untuned bump skis against all the uber racer types. :lol:

Sky

Good luck! I can't believe you're not a Night Leaguer!

Sound like an event for an AZ trip...which I've yet to attend.

When is the next one?

o3jeff

What time is racing there today? I am gonna try to get some runs in around 4 or 5.

I'll have to remember to bring my cow bell for your run:lol:

gmcunni

I'm officially a NASTAR member! :lol: I'm going to try a run this afternoon. I want to see how I compare on my completely untuned bump skis against all the uber racer types. :lol:

you should warm up by entering the skiercross race in the morning :)

MR. evil

NOOOOOOOO! Don't do it. Before you know it they will have brain washed you. You will have racing skis, those lame curvy ski poles and be wearing full body lycra ski suit. :-o

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Nice! But man, at least break out your 8000 for the NASTAR race. NASTAR courses are nearly straight lines at most mountains but the side cut of the 8000 will definitely play to your advantage over a straight bump ski.

Let us know how you do!

wa-loaf

Careful, it can be addictive. You might be signing up for a night league next winter . . .

And get those edges sharpened!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Basically it slalom ski racing.
http://www.nastar.com/
More accurately, it is heavily modified combo of giant slalom and slalom slalom ski racing. Courses average times of only 20-30 seconds using perhaps a dozen or so gates whereas actual slalom runs are over one minute in duration (at professional level speeds, no less) and many times over more gates. Gates are set so that even never evers (racing) can finish easily, if not with a respectable time. No elements of normal racing, especially slalom, are present such as unders and flushes and most especially difficult gate placement, knolls, and air hills (except at the NASTAR finals).

MR. evil

OMG, has hell frozen over???? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Who are you and what have you done with Greg?

I am just wondering how long until Brian joins.

If Greg ever Dawns the full body spandex racing suit I will personally snack some sence into him.

Greg

Staff member
If Greg ever Dawns the full body spandex racing suit I will personally snack some sence into him.

That ain't never gonna happen for fear of scaring all the women and children in the greater Hartford area.

Well? Where's the NASTAR trip report and video?

Quick and dirty TR: I SUCK!!!! :lol: Scored a bit over 30 seconds. Might have to do with the fact that it took me probably five seconds to get out of the stupid starting gate. :lol: Bump skis were sliding all over the place. I needed 4 seconds better to grab a bronze. Monti in the finish shack was nice with the announcement though, congratulating me on a good first run. :lol:

I can see the appeal. And I'll probably try it again sometime, maybe with skis better suited for it. My wife actually did get video of my feeble run which is pretty funny. :lol: I'll post it after the game. :)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Racing can certainly help out an overall ski program from a technical perspective. My racing experience to this day forms the cornerstones of my technical repertoire despite it having grown and diversified to the point that I rarely ski anything groomed. The AZ Pat's Peak team is a testament to racing being able to improve ability levels. I would whole heartedly endorse any racing program (preferably with some sort of coaching if possible) for any skier who wants to improve technically, regardless of preferred snow condition.

Greg... just think... that will probably be your worst time ever ;) With a slight kick start and something other than bump skis, you'll be seconds ahead on your next run :D Speed suits only help shave split seconds once you are actually up to speed, so no need for it at this point :lol:

tcharron

Quick and dirty TR: I SUCK!!!! :lol: Scored a bit over 30 seconds. Might have to do with the fact that it took me probably five seconds to get out of the stupid starting gate. :lol: Bump skis were sliding all over the place. I needed 4 seconds better to grab a bronze. Monti in the finish shack was nice with the announcement though, congratulating me on a good first run. :lol:

:daffy: Gratz! And I know the feel. When I started doing it at Pats this year, it felt totally different then I thought it would. The #1 thing that I've been trying to get over is being intimidated, because, there is no choose your line. And sometimes, them gates just seem to be placed funny. :-D

Greg

Staff member
A sparkling 30.49!

Uber gaper racer:

:lol: