• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New England powder/glades skis

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I love my Volkl Gotamas for powder & trees in the East. They have no metal in them, float very well & are very maneuverable in the trees. At 105 mm underfoot, they are wider than what most people in this thread have suggested for you but they don't feel that wide to me. They do short turns in the trees very well but yet can also make nice long floaty turns in wide open terrain when you need them to.

They also are very good in the Spring on corn snow. Check them out if you can. They certainly don't ski like they're as wide as 105 mm so don't be freaked out simply by the number.

You're a bit outside the standard deviation of responses, so tell me more about you and how you ski. Aggressive? What types of trees are you into, dense stuff or more wide open float. What trees and where/ how about naming some resorts to give me a sense.

What's your strength? Above average? I'm kinda the weak kid on the block so I rely more on technique then muscle to get through. I'm a bit concerned it might be more work.

ARe the Gotamas a light weight ski?

tx!

madskier6

You're a bit outside the standard deviation of responses, so tell me more about you and how you ski. Aggressive? What types of trees are you into, dense stuff or more wide open float. What trees and where/ how about naming some resorts to give me a sense.

What's your strength? Above average? I'm kinda the weak kid on the block so I rely more on technique then muscle to get through. I'm a bit concerned it might be more work.

ARe the Gotamas a light weight ski?

tx!

The Gotamas are a light weight ski. No metal & not burly to turn at all. I don't like skis with metal in them or that turn like aircraft carriers. I love these skis. They are known to be easier, smoother turners.

I would say that I ski fairly aggressively but I don't muscle my turns. I'm 45 yrs. old & not necessarily in great physical shape. I like shorter snappier turns. Some of my fellow AZers have described my ski style as the "Flowmeister". I like to flow down the terrain as opposed to attacking it. I don't zipperline bumps, I flow in & around them.

I tend to like more wide open trees than real dense stuff. I like to ski the trees at Sugarbush, MRG, Burke & Magic. I like Egan's Woods & Eden at Sugarbush. I like Gazelle Glades & the trees off of Ferret/Upper Glades at MRG. I also like Paradise & Fall Line at MRG although those aren't really tree runs, strictly speaking. At Burke, I like The Jungle, Birches & Dixiland.

I've been to Stowe 4-5 times but never really spent much time in the trees there except for skiers left off of Chin Clip. I'd love for someone who knows that mountain to show me around the woods there, but I digress.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The Gotamas are a light weight ski. No metal & not burly to turn at all. I don't like skis with metal in them or that turn like aircraft carriers. I love these skis. They are known to be easier, smoother turners.

I would say that I ski fairly aggressively but I don't muscle my turns. I'm 45 yrs. old & not necessarily in great physical shape. I like shorter snappier turns. Some of my fellow AZers have described my ski style as the "Flowmeister". I like to flow down the terrain as opposed to attacking it. I don't zipperline bumps, I flow in & around them.

I tend to like more wide open trees than real dense stuff. I like to ski the trees at Sugarbush, MRG, Burke & Magic. I like Egan's Woods & Eden at Sugarbush. I like Gazelle Glades & the trees off of Ferret/Upper Glades at MRG. I also like Paradise & Fall Line at MRG although those aren't really tree runs, strictly speaking. At Burke, I like The Jungle, Birches & Dixiland.

I've been to Stowe 4-5 times but never really spent much time in the trees there except for skiers left off of Chin Clip. I'd love for someone who knows that mountain to show me around the woods there, but I digress.

thanks, sounds like we have a similar style. PM hardline - he's great for showing folks around the puckerbrush ;) at Stowe.

bigbog

Enjoy similar places to play billski...and agree about enjoying touch as much as Being Hermann Maier...
FWIW..I demoed the Watea94s..ditto everything ECPH has been saying, but can add that the lack of metal in this ski makes it a very nimble ski at any speed!..*probably THE thing I most like about it...seems like a no brainer for fresh snow...
I wish there would've been some crud around..like in a few of my BC playgrounds....to see how far the Wateas could go..but no luck....;-)
Have seen quite a few skis that I'd like to get outdoors and ski...

Last edited:

Terry

OMG I am in love. I skied my friends Line Prophet 100's yesterday all day. Not much soft snow left to ski them in, but was very impressed with their performance on the groomers and even in the moguls. I don't ski moguls well, but had no trouble in them with the Lines. If you don't look down, they don't feel like a wide ski. They are also incredibly light. I think I need to go shopping but my wife does not agree! I just wish that we had some powder to try them in.

tekweezle

hide your wallets! Evogear has an additional 25% off their outlet prices. no tax and free shipping.

tekweezle

anyone have any thoughts on the Icelantic scouts as a east coast tree ski? it's skied short-143 in length which might make it pretty nimble in trees. it;s marketed as an AT touring board with 105 mm waist giving it good float.

I snagged a pair of Icelantic Pilgims on evogear.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
thanks, sounds like we have a similar style. PM hardline - he's great for showing folks around the puckerbrush ;) at Stowe.

funny you mention that. i realized up at stratton that im getting a little silly with threading the needle in the bush. i seem to be pushing my self to take tighter lines through the woods. the brush seems to be a lot easier on a board then on skies.

anyone have any thoughts on the Icelantic scouts as a east coast tree ski? it's skied short-143 in length which might make it pretty nimble in trees. it;s marketed as an AT touring board with 105 mm waist giving it good float.

I snagged a pair of Icelantic Pilgims on evogear.

those are some clown skis..Phillycore has a pair..but I can ski the trees fine on 193s..Less surface area due to the shorter length so less float..

Edd

There's alot of positive talk about the Blizzard Argos over on Epicski. I've seen it referred to as a "Mantra Killer" but opinons vary.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Bang!

I'll be trolling for a good deal this summer....
And I kept my promise. Pulled the trigger on a pair of Fisher Atua skis. 129-96-119.
36431838_125.jpg

Now all I need is an east coast powder day! Quiver Quiver Quiver is now complete.

THANK YOU RIVERCOIL FOR YOUR ADVICE AND YOUR REVIEW on thesnowway.com!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
With 80 under foot, I need to sit back a bit to not submerge the tips in some types of powder. With 95 under foot, I can rail skis in powder just like I might rail a groomer.

I missed this thread the 1st time...

I've really only had narrow-er skis since I started skiing again. One condition I've struggled with is boot deep powder because of submarine-ing. That's why I bought the Hot Rod last year. I'm hoping at 84 under foot, I'll feel more float, and get more of a "rail" & control feeling. Now I'm wondering if I should get something even wider, that will really take help out for the 3-4 powder days a year I might get...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I missed this thread the 1st time...

I've really only had narrow-er skis since I started skiing again. One condition I've struggled with is boot deep powder because of submarine-ing. That's why I bought the Hot Rod last year. I'm hoping at 84 under foot, I'll feel more float, and get more of a "rail" & control feeling. Now I'm wondering if I should get something even wider, that will really take help out for the 3-4 powder days a year I might get...
You'll know when you ski it. Everyone is diff. I went from a 70 carver to a midfat with 77 underfoot. While I didn't dive as much, I still had to sit back and even then, I didn't float like I should have. I decided I needed a pretty dramatic step up to the 90s. I decided to save the 100+ for out west. I'm sure Steve will have good things to say. It depends a lot on your ability, your size, etc. I bought my midfats real cheap so it was kind of like an inexpensive demo. I convinced myself midfats, while an interesting compromise - just like all season tires. They do both snow and summer, but do neither particularly well. That's my op. and I'm sticking to it! :grin:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Thanks Billski. I'll throw in some more details if anyone else has a sticky op. ;)

5'11" 240ish. Very good carver on all but the steepest terrain, prefer mid range to shorter turns for longer runs. No bump skills what-so-ever. Never been to Sundown :blink:

Geoff

I have problems with a ski for this category. I'm a big guy and carve my turns. In the trees, I really want something that won't lock the edge so I can crank a skid turn when I need to. My 184 cm 86mm waist 20-ish meter turn radius X-Wing Fury is OK most of the time but I've terrified myself a few times in the trees when they wouldn't skid. Most of the powder machines are designed as big mountain GS skis. I own some CMH-edition Volkl Explosiv heli-skiing skis that are like that. I've skied several newer models in the west that have a 30-ish meter natural turn radius. That's not exactly something I want to use for New England bushwhacking. I don't see anything that's 110 wide, around a 180, and a fairly short natural turn radius that you could mount up with an AT setup to ease the slog out of the sidecountry when needed. I'm wondering if the rockered / reverse camber skis are a better approach. I've never had the opportunity to try them.