• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Aerial Photos

bvibert

Staff member
Aerial shots show a lot of room for expansion. I wonder if the rep. from sundown has any other ideas of what sundown might have in the works besides a halfpipe? A couple glade runs with snowmaking on them would be sweet.

I wouldn't worry about it since Sundown is clearly lame. You're way too good for a mountain like that.

skiadikt

Chris Sullivan sent me some very cool aerial shots:

SkiSundown011709.jpg

trying to put names to the runs in this photo. left to right are the major runs: exhibition, temptor, stinger & gunbarrel?

SkiSundowLookingWestB011709.jpg

and in this one, what's that narrow trail through the woods, looks to be bumped. temptor? also are the lift lines trails and if not are they skiable. btw, looks to me that you guys have a high percentage of terrain bumped particularly for an area of this size.

Greg

Staff member
glades w/snowmaking? now there's a concept ...

I've seen the expansion plan. Chris would like to take a snowmaking approach whereby the guns are positioned on one side of the trails allowing some of the snowmaking to blow into some thinned out areas. Since snowmaking will be only on one side, that means more classic and somewhat narrow trails. The expansion plan is an aggressive one and if it comes to fruition it's going to be great!

trying to put names to the runs in this photo. left to right are the major runs: exhibition, temptor, stinger & gunbarrel?

Pretty much. The far looker's left run are the Canyon Run flats which feed into Ex where the bumps start. The Sunnyside learning area are the trails to the right of Gunny.

and in this one, what's that narrow trail through the woods, looks to be bumped. temptor? also are the lift lines trails and if not are they skiable. btw, looks to me that you guys have a high percentage of terrain bumped particularly for an area of this size.

You're looking to the West in that view. The left trail is Tom's Treat. It does look bumped, but it's the shadows from the trees. That skinny trail is Panhandle. Then Upper Canyon Run and Upper Nor'easter. You can see where Stinger and Temptor peel off Nor'easter too.

I really can't wait for Gunny to get seeded. If Kurt could pull off lines like he did on the bottom of Temptor the time he last seeded it, it's going to be sick. Skier's right of Gunbarrel gets lots of sun and there's a lot of snow on it right now. Should be a great 6 weeks of local bumpin'! :cool: I think the plan also is to bump up Nor'easter too. Gonna be a cool spring vibe at the beloved Sundown.

bvibert

Staff member

More or less; Exhibition is is the short wide trail that Canyon Run, Temptor, and Stinger dump out onto.

SkiSundowLookingWestB011709.jpg

The narrow trail is Panhandle (a flat green trail). I've only skied it a few times, it may not be wide enough to get a groomer through, but I don't think it's really bumped up. The lift lines are not trails and not really skiable, for the most part. It's definitely highly discouraged anyway.

We are lucky to have as much bumped up terrain as we do, I don't think it's a high percentage though. We have one black diamond trail and the sides of parts of two blue trails.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
I wouldn't worry about it since Sundown is clearly lame. You're way too good for a mountain like that.

Never said i was too good bvibert. I like ski sundown. My friends and i used to ski there all the time 10 years ago. We still ski there at night. I think what they are doing with the bumps and park are good. I also think if they put in a halfpipe and some tree runs with snowmaking on them they would be able to offer what not to many mountains nearby can offer. A run like killingtons roundabout or dare i say clear it out like squeeze play. Trees like that at sundown would be badass. no? And yes it would need snowmaking due to the lack of snow CT. gets. Sundown has come a long way since i used to get season passes there. Back then they did't have bumps and to be honest the only thing that made it better then mohawk was the bar.

skiadikt

I've seen the expansion plan. Chris would like to take a snowmaking approach whereby the guns are positioned on one side of the trails allowing some of the snowmaking to blow into some thinned out areas. Since snowmaking will be only on one side, that means more classic and somewhat narrow trails. The expansion plan is an aggressive one and if it comes to fruition it's going to be great!

Pretty much. The far looker's left run are the Canyon Run flats which feed into Ex where the bumps start. The Sunnyside learning area are the trails to the right of Gunny.

You're looking to the West in that view. The left trail is Tom's Treat. It does look bumped, but it's the shadows from the trees. That skinny trail is Panhandle. Then Upper Canyon Run and Upper Nor'easter. You can see where Stinger and Temptor peel off Nor'easter too.

I really can't wait for Gunny to get seeded. If Kurt could pull off lines like he did on the bottom of Temptor the time he last seeded it, it's going to be sick. Skier's right of Gunbarrel gets lots of sun and there's a lot of snow on it right now. Should be a great 6 weeks of local bumpin'! :cool: I think the plan also is to bump up Nor'easter too. Gonna be a cool spring vibe at the beloved Sundown.

it's very cool that management actually interact with you guys in a positive way. seems like you've have had a reasonable amount of input into what goes on over there.

and yeah some tree skiing even w/snowmaking would certainly be a great addition.

bvibert

Staff member
No, I steer clear of the crack pipe, something that I highly recommend you consider.

Saying you like Sundown, but stating that you think it's lame makes thorski=nonsensical.

Go enjoy all the other mountains that have half pipes.

Greg

Staff member
No halfpipe at sundown makes ski sundown=lame

Again, currently there's no room for it. That's the part you're not hearing. You can't sacrifice the only clear intermediate cruiser on the hill (Canyon Run) for a half pipe.

bvibert

Staff member
Good job being so closed minded on halfpipes.
Skiing is about progression. I'm glad the owners of sundown seem to think that too.

I'm not close minded to half pipes. I said I steer clear of the crack pipe, something that you're clearly smoking.

I am, however, calling you out on your stupid, closed minded, comments. If you think Sundown is lame then stay away, simple as that.

Writing a post that says "Sundown=lame" is lame. You can try to explain it away all you want, but it's still lame, which makes you lame.

deadheadskier

Staff member
guys take it easy on my uncle thorski at least until I have my lesson with him so I can rule the super pipe.

Greg

Staff member
I'm not close minded to half pipes. I said I steer clear of the crack pipe, something that you're clearly smoking.

I am, however, calling you out on your stupid, closed minded, comments. If you think Sundown is lame then stay away, simple as that.

Writing a post that says "Sundown=lame" is lame. You can try to explain it away all you want, but it's still lame, which makes you lame.

The big man throws down to protect the home turf... :lol:

bvibert

Staff member
guys take it easy on my uncle thorski at least until I have my lesson with him so I can rule the super pipe.

Sorry dude. Just make sure he takes you to one of the many dozens of (non lame) ski areas that have a small to medium sized half pipe, and not to Sundown since they're lame.

bvibert

Staff member
The big man throws down to protect the home turf... :lol:

I gotta do what I gotta do. I though that comment was way stupid, and you know how good I am about dropping something once it gets in my head.. ;)

I probably would have thought the same thing if he had said it about any other mountain, I just probably wouldn't have been so vocal about it...

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
i'm not close minded to half pipes. I said i steer clear of the crack pipe, something that you're clearly smoking.

I am, however, calling you out on your stupid, closed minded, comments. If you think sundown is lame then stay away, simple as that.

Writing a post that says "sundown=lame" is lame. You can try to explain it away all you want, but it's still lame, which makes you lame.

lol

Greg

Staff member
Photochopped Gunbarrel

While I was playing virtual mountain opps manager, I decided to seed top to bottom and side side to side... :lol:

seeded_gunny.jpg

:daffy::spread::spread::daffy:

I'm a little whacked, I know... :dunce: