• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Aerial Photos

Grassi21

While I was playing virtual mountain opps manager, I decided to seed top to bottom and side side to side... :lol:

seeded_gunny.jpg

:daffy::spread::spread::daffy:

I'm a little whacked, I know... :dunce:

Looks beauuuuuuutiful

SKidds

While I was playing virtual mountain opps manager, I decided to seed top to bottom and side side to side... :lol:

seeded_gunny.jpg

:daffy::spread::spread::daffy:

I'm a little whacked, I know... :dunce:
Bump or Bust 2 top to bottom on THAT would be the sickest thing ever. Love the editing.

Now it seems a bunch of all y'all need to settle down ;). Granted, I don't know all of you guys. But I didn't get the impression that thorski was trying to completely harsh the Sundown mellow and rip it apart. He seemed to say a few postitive things, and that he skied there himself in the past. And really, I think we can all find at least one aspect of our favorite hill where they come up a little bit lame, no? Not that that should label the whole mountain. And that is not to say his comment regarding lack of pipe holds any merit given the size and capability of the mountain.

Now to get myself in trouble. Seeing the photos and realizing how small the place is (flame retardent suit on :flame:) I am even more impressed with their committment to bumps. Percentage-wise that is a huge amount of acreage dedicated to moguls. Way cool. BTW - I grew up on Big Birch (aka Thunder Ridge), so I know small hills and their virtues.

Greg

Staff member
Now to get myself in trouble. Seeing the photos and realizing how small the place is (flame retardent suit on :flame:) I am even more impressed with their committment to bumps. Percentage-wise that is a huge amount of acreage dedicated to moguls. Way cool.

No flamesuit needed. It is what it is, and that's a small 600 vert feeder hill. Nevertheless, it's arguably one of the best run mountains in the northeast and if it had another 400 vertical feet it would totally blow away anything else in SNE. It's close and convenient to me so I'm a bit biased though.

The mogul philosophy is amazing and has expanded every season since it started to catch on. And it's not just one semi-steep bump run for whackos like me. The low angle bumps on Exhibition and Nor'easter are great places to learn and even hone your skills. I see a lot of people on the bumps which is a great thing. I suspect a lot of kids (and adults) are going to learn to become great skiers at Sundown. If the bumps on Gunbarrel set up as well as I expect they might, you're not going to find anything south of Vermont like it. Quite honestly, it might rival runs like Beartrap at Mount Snow, Sel's at Okemo or (although I haven't skied it personally) Flying Goose at Sunapee. That's some pretty sick terrain to have for CT bumpers right in their back yards. I'm sure many of you will get sick of seeing the Gunny bump vids we start putting together. :lol:

The bottom line is they offer terrain for everybody, blow a shitload of snow, have excellent base facilities, decent lifts, and a staff that cares a lot about their customers. So far it's been a great place to have so close to teach my kids to ski, as well as get a lot of challenging skiing of my own in midweek and sometimes on the weekends. If/when the expansion comes to pass, the place will be even better. With a mountain ops/management team that just "gets it", the place should continue to ski a lot bigger than it is.

Warp Daddy

Nice hill --------- you guys are fortunate to have that in your backyard !! Wish i had something like that 30 min away

i have to drive an hr and twenty minutes to get to 1250 vertical

gmcunni

Quite honestly, it might rival runs like . . . . . Flying Goose at Sunapee.

that is exactly what i was picturing in my head.... not sure GB is as wide as FG though. When i was at sunapee FG had a thin stretch not bumped up, i don't think GB could support that but if we had 1/2 the trail??? maybe get 4-6 lines to choose from that would be incredible!!!

Greg

Staff member
that is exactly what i was picturing in my head.... not sure GB is as wide as FG though. When i was at sunapee FG had a thin stretch not bumped up, i don't think GB could support that but if we had 1/2 the trail??? maybe get 4-6 lines to choose from that would be incredible!!!

The plan is half the trail. I think 4-6 lines is a safe bet.