• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl's Head

MtnMagic

Dates Hiked:
Monday, October 20, 2003

Trails Hiked:
Lincoln Woods, bushwhack from Black Pond to Lincoln Brook, Owl’s Head Path.

Distance:
17 miles, with an elevation gain of 2850 feet and a round trip time of 10 hours 55 minutes.

Difficulty:
All river crossings were done cautiously as it was high water. One must be in physical condition and fully prepared to hike this long haul.

Special Equipment:
Full winter gear!

Trip Report:
Ghostdog and this writer left the parking lot of the Lincoln-Woodstock Trail at 5:45 am, on Monday, October 20, 2003 to bag my last NH 4000 footer, Owl’s Head (4025’), the most remote and most difficult of all mountains. We could see our breaths in our headlamps as the temperature hovered in the low 20’s. This incredible starry morning had a beautiful waning moon seemingly over Sawyer Pond. A meteor shot by, surely an omen of a successful hike!

After warming up on the Lincoln-Woodstock Trail, we took the Black Pond Trail while briefly stopping to enjoy Ice Pond and Black Pond. When the trail faded, we used the map and compass, for an hour long, deep woods bushwhack. Limbs, branches and sticks each took their turn hitting our face and body, while still more attacked shins and knees. We took the beating almost continuously right up to the convergence with the Lincoln Brook Trail. This bushwhack is to shorten the hike and to eliminate the treacherous high water crossings in the Franconia Brook.

Returning to normal trail hiking, we slogged on through the trail that was literary a stream. We crossed the tributary originating from Little Haystack Mountain and the Franconia Ridge Trail where unseen ice on a boulder caused me to loose balance. Suddenly I fell uncontrollably, backpack first into the ice-cold early morning water, soaking my chest to the top of my head. If was tired at all, this shock certainly woke me up. It was amazing; soaked but not cold.

Deciding to continue, without a change of clothes, we hiked on. Just past the last water crossing. I encountered mud so deep it oozed under my gaiters and entered down the top my boot. Ignoring this, we continued until the soil bunched around the tongue of my boot forcing the change of socks. This became perfect to use to our advantage. We sat, ate, and rested, while I changed my socks.

Reaching the large cairn that signals Owl’s Head Path, we turned east and launched into our climb to the summit. This soon became a crawl when we hit the ice covered ledges for the next half-mile. When the trees returned, we walked to the summit in a dusting of snow, took a few photos (See the Gallery!) then hit the trail for the long haul out.

It was decision time when we reached where the trail crosses Lincoln Brook. Stay on the wide trail, bushwhack back to Black Pond, or walk parallel to the brook until merging with the Franconia Falls Trail. Knowing what the bushwhack encounters to Black Pond, I choose the latter. At times there is a fisherman’s path beside Lincoln Brook. During many other sections, it is non-existent, and becomes a bushwhack.

We were fully prepared to spend the night in the wilderness with a full backpack, including a tent, sleeping bag and five meals in case we were too fatigued (or hurt!) to complete the hike in one day. This was a possibility as I just completed 36 miles in three of the last five days. What a relief to be home with no hiking shoes on!

The round trip distance via the blazed trails is 18 miles. The bushwhack from the Pond and back is about a mile less. With the beating one takes, including ripped pants, climbing over and around fallen trees, etc., I’m still not sure which is better. That choice is a personal one and a matter of opinion. This adventure took 10 hours 55 minutes with an elevation gain of 2850’, most of it to reach the summit. My longest hike in a week and one I can’t wait to repeat!

Greg

Staff member
Wow!. Great TR, MtnMagic. Sure sounded like an adventure!

MtnMagic

It was a fantastic, unforgettable adventure. One I wish to repeat. Sky needs this one, so I'm certain it will be even better!

Four days later, my shins and knees still have cuts and pain. When we re-hike this one,

MtnMagic

Askus3 wrote a couple of great points. The Bushwhack is recommended to those who feel confident and have map skills, which is up to each individual.

I didn't mention the wonderfull Franconia Falls because somehow I forgot (fatigue?!) when I wrote the trip report! A gigantic bonus to view on the return down Lincoln Brook.

It is a beautiful waterfall, one I've hiked to many times in the spring high-water. It's spectacular and an easy day hike also.

Max

Great trip report as always! I like Owl's Head simply for the great view of Franconia Ridge from the slide, as well as for the slide climb and descent itself. Now for a good adventure, do it in winter and wade through the chest-deep snow drifts like we did last January. Bring on the snow!!

MtnMagic

Now for a good adventure, do it in winter and wade through the chest-deep snow drifts like we did last January.
Max, was this done with x-c skis or snowshoes :eek:

Frodo

MtnMagic,

Great trip report and congratulations on finishing your NH48!

As for the Black Pond bushwhack, from my own experience I think that it is benificial during winter and spring, but not during summer and fall. In the winter, the Franconia Brook Trail will likely need to be broken out, so you save both time and energy doing the bushwhack. In the spring, doing the bushwhack avoids the 1st water crossing on the Lincoln Brook Trail, which when high is very dangerous. In the summer and fall if the water is low, it is faster and takes less energy to avoid the bushwhack and stay on the trails.

Max

Mtn Magic, we bushwhacked in via the Black Pond rt. with snowshoes and needed crampons on some of the icy bits on the Owl's Head slide, but no one had skis, although they could be used on a lot of the flatter sections of trail. We started in the dark and finished in the dark. The ascent of the slide took quite a bit of time, with the hard pushing through the snow drifts. It was compensated by the fast descent as we were able to slide down many sections.