• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

UVM student's expansion plan for Cannon

deadheadskier

Staff member
I forget what kind of search I was doing the other night where I stumbled upon this, but I figured I'd share. After a great day at Cannon on Sunday, I have been reading various sites to find out more about the place. I think this one turned up doing a search on the Mittersill expansion, which I definitely don't want to see now that I've skied over there.

Interesting read:

http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A3=i...468785DDFB49B0F&T=text/html; charset=us-ascii

kinda dig the idea in there about a new trail from the top of Paulie's Extension down to Banshee

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Look's like the "Arm Chair Analysis" of the Cannon expansion which was posted to First Tracks Online about ten years ago. That three phase plan is essentially two thirds complete with exception of the Mittersill expansion and I would believe that they are no longer following the original three phase plan but rather going at their own pace. Note this was written prior to many things such as the Middle Hard Cut Thru (which was really too bad, I loved the up hill), Kinsman Glade was cut, and prior to the Peabody Quad being built and the Eaglecliff Triple being installed.

Also note that NELSAP was then hosted on a Geocities web site per the last link on the page. I'd like to say this was written by Chip Olson.

4aprice

I mentioned this on Snow Journal but I guess I'm in the minority as I want to see Mittersill opened to lift skiing again like it was. I missed it when it was open and even though I know it can be accessed from Cannon have never done it. I like the expansion plan and if it goes through will be there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
I mentioned this on Snow Journal but I guess I'm in the minority as I want to see Mittersill opened to lift skiing again like it was. I missed it when it was open and even though I know it can be accessed from Cannon have never done it. I like the expansion plan and if it goes through will be there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I think if you were to ski it as currently is now, you'd change your mind like I did. This coming from the biggest pro ski area expansion whore you might find.

SIKSKIER

Riv's right,this report is at least 10 years old.It mentions the current MM Dick Andros who left for Burke about then.None of the work had started on the first two phases of the 3 phase plan.I believe the new lifts were put in for 1999.The author was incorrect about what will happen to the lift system at Mittersill.In the land swap agreement just approved,the lift can only go in the same footprint as the current chair and no higher.It also can only be a double.There will not be a lift to the top of the saddle.I heard that the proposed trail from Paulies X to Banshee has been tabled.The lift in the Mittersill parking refered to in the article was used to make the Eagle Cliff and Brookside lifts and possibly part of the Tuckerbrook Quad.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Also, even though this is on the UVM server, I suspect it might have been sourced from Ski Vtl. I doubt Chip Olson was a UVM student as this article seems to come from the perspective of a Cannon regular.