• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Top 5 Favorite NON-Northeast Mountains.

gmcunni

Inspired by the Top 5 Favorite Northeast thread. what are your top non-northeast mountains?

For me, i think i've only been to 5 mountains outside the northeast, here's how i'd rank them:

1. Alta (UT)
2. Alpine Meadows (CA)
3. Powder Mountain (UT)
4. Snowbasin (UT)
5. Steamboat Springs (CO)

gladerider

1 Val Thorens (France)
2 Courchevel (France)
3 Meribel (France)
4 Squaw (CA)
5 Mt Rose (CA)

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
1) Mammoth Mountain

2) Mount Bachelor (we have a winner!!!)

3) Arapahoe Basin

4) Copper Mountain

5) Zermatt

Yay a thread for me! How ya'll been.. Shot taken Jan 29.

3237798158_c2b74b55c4_b.jpg

We've been feast or famine this year. All sun til Dec 10, then snow every day (200 inches in 4 weeks), then ice storm, then 3 weeks of sun. Snow cycles are back as of yesterday. Likely heading towards 100" in Feb.

#1 Mt Bachelor (obvious reasons, and it is pretty awesome, but I do not yet know the spots)

#2 Sunshine Village (great spot, great snow, nice weather late season, so many terrain options)

#3 Vail Mountain (know it really well from many seasons)

#4 Loveland (Is there a better vibe anywhere?)

#5 PCMR (more obvious reasons, and I was there on a serious powderday in 1994)

kcyanks1

1. Jackson Hole
2. Aspen Highlands
3. Snowmass
4. Whister/Blackcomb
5. Aspen Mountain

Ones I've been to but didn't mention: Steamboat, Grand Targhee
Whistler is a tough one to place, because I really wasn't there at a great time..they didn't have enough of a base to have a lot of stuff open. I figure it may move up at least one slot if I were able to ski it with more terrain open.

abc

I have more than 5! Probably more than 15!!!

1) Alta/Snowbird -- snow + terrain
2) Aspen/Snowmass -- Terrain + lack of crowds
3) Squaw Valley -- View + terrain
4) Taos -- Scenary + Terrain
5) Sunshine -- Scenary + terrain

Taos was the first "great" one I went to before the rest. So I was blown away. I hadn't been back for quite some time. I do wonder if it still stack up as well now that I've been to many more great ones.

Not making the top 5 but could have: Vail, Heavenly, Alpine Meadow, A-basin, Copper, Breckenridge.

And a few in the Alps which I can't spell. :oops:

Going to Jackson Hole tomorrow. So my top 5 may change after next week. :)

Last edited:

Bumpsis

Anything out west, I feel lucky whenever I can get out there. Sure, some are better than others but all of them have one thing in common - plenty of natural snow and tons of open terrain. Quite a few have easily accessible steeps that we can only find here at Mt. Washington.

Geoff

1. Nevados de Chillan, Chile
2. Monarch
3. Ski Santa Fe
4. Wolf Creek
5. Treble Cone, NZ

As I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate smaller areas with limited uphill capacity and no glitzy base village. For the most part, I'd rather ride fixed-grip lifts to get the better skiing surface. I'm not looking for change-my-underwear steeps. I'm looking for good medium-pitch ungroomed that doesn't see a whole lot of traffic. A decade ago, my list would have included Snowbird, Whistler, the three real mountains in Aspen, and Val d'Isere/Tignes.

crank

1. Jackson Hole. Huge vertical and steep from top to bottom. Take a run down from the tram and you just know you've skied one big mountain.

2. Alta/Bird. Lumping these 2 together, (last time I was out there I did the combo ticket) you get one hell of an expert's powder playground.

3. Powder Mountain UT. Just for the spread outedness and the fun, laid back vibe and the bus ride back up the canyon... it's all good. Really good.

4. Mammoth. I lived there for 2 months 20 something year ago and had a great time. I learned to ski fast at Mammoth. Everybody, except for me it seemed, was a racer there back then. There was only one way to the top - the gondola. Because of the limited skier traffic nothing up there ever got bumped up. You could launch off a cornice and make smooth GS turns down the face at max speed.

5. Have to go with Taos. Only skied two days there but in two feet of powder. A great and steep area in a very culturally interesting part of the U.S. I plan to get back there.

Notes: I've skied a bunch out west but have yet to visit Whistler, Aspen or Big Sky. These are the major areas on my bucket list that I think would have a chance at making my top 5 west... possibly Revelstoke now as well. I have skied Kicking Horse and liked it, but not top 5.

ta&idaho

Going with "favorite" rather than "best," I'd say:

1. Brundage (where I learned to ski; still my favorite single place to visit)
2. Alta (best snow/terrain/experience combo in the country)
3. Mammoth (huge mountain, socal vibe, skiing well into the summer)
4. Bogus Basin (where I learned to ski well; great mountain only 30 minutes from Boise)
5. Heavenly (best views imaginable, incredible pass deal, and an underrated mountain)

Smellytele

Vallee Blanche (Chamonix France)
Les Grands Montets (Chamonix France)
Squaw
Alpine Meadows
Copper

Have been to Breckenridge, Vail, Keystone, Snowbird (not on a good day - windblown with ice pellets hitting me in the face and 20 foot visability), and two other areas in Chamonix.