• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2009 Goals

Greg

Staff member
Nothing too specific. I just want to ride a lot. My only tangible goal is to ride 600 miles this season. Starting two months earlier than last year and probably being able to do longer rides in the same amount of time, I think it's doable. I did 305 miles last year. My first thought was 500 miles, but I think that would have been too easy of a goal.

bvibert

Staff member
My goals are to ride more often, launch more stuff, and pull off a wheelie drop without landing on my back.

Grassi21

I would like to ride at least twice a week. Lacrosse is going to make more than twice a week difficult. I also want to get my endurance up.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My 2009 goals are to somehow miraculously acquire massive amounts of wealth and go skiing in South America.

other than that, I got nothing :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Just to get out there more. I might take the all-terrain spinning class at the Y to get a head start on conditioning for the upcoming season.

Jisch

I have thought a little about this today. I'm not much of a planner or goal setter.

I have done "epic" rides every year for the last four or five years - I'd like to do two of those this year. After I do one I haven't been able to get my motivation up to do the second one

I'd like to get away with my wife for a weekend of riding/camping.

Generally visit more new places, I tend to take the easy route and ride the same 3 places over and over

GSS - find someone who rides, they probably have a "back up bike" that you can borrow. I have several, but I think you're not near by where I live (NE CT), but if you were ever in the area, let me know, I'd be happy to take you out. I think MTB is not always an instant "gotta do it" kinda thing, it might take a few rides before you're really hooked. There aren't many places around the northeast (outside of downhill) that rent bikes.

John

Greg

Staff member
GSS - find someone who rides, they probably have a "back up bike" that you can borrow.

Great advice. I did that for Grassi with my old bike. Plus it's always a good idea to head out with people who know what they're doing the first few times.

Grassi21

Great advice. I did that for Grassi with my old bike. Plus it's always a good idea to head out with people who know what they're doing the first few times.

I'm glad I never took possession of that bike. :lol: But don't forget this gem that will resurface as a single speed this spring....

IMG_2781.JPG

gorgonzola

just ride more and hit some new places, milage wise i'd like to hit 1,000 this year - i ended up just shy of 700 this past year. it should be reachable as my son is 11 and was really getting into it and able to ride longer and more tech stuff the end of last season which will get me out a little more - hoping for 3x /week

MR. evil

My goals this years are pretty simple:

Ride more

Hit some bigger drops

Ride the hard line down Red's Rock (he also wants to get back to Nass)

and I would also like to ride the West Hartford Res to Robinson St Park (Agawam Ma)epic in the early fall.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Hit the roll down in Waterbury. (last year was the first year I haven't. I didn't trust my forks, but they are at Zocchi getting rebuilt as we speak) Ride Tonys/Tammerack/GodStreet/Kents/Billings/peak-a-view/waterfall/stoweschoolexrpess/burt trail/ranchcamp/haulroad/barrows connector/strwberryfarm/saltlick/stickhouse/zogs/townloops in a day. Finish the loop out back. Dial flat land 180 to half cabs. Ride alot. Dirt Jump alot again.

RENO

Try out Mountain biking..did most of you rent a bike first before buying to see if you liked it?
I went to Vermont (Killington) for the first time in the Fall of 92 and saw the lift served mountain biking and fell in love. As soon as I got home I bought a used mountain bike for $50. It was a Diamond Back Topanga with no suspension. One of the best bikes I ever had. Thing was a tank. Took it to Killington, Mount Snow and Snowshoe West Virginia. I don't do a lot of the really crazy downhill stuff. Mostly like singletrack.
You have some great riding nearby at Jim Thorpe PA. Even though they closed a bunch of trails (idiots), there's still some good riding. You could rent a bike from Blue Mountain Sports in town and they can point you to some nice trails riding right out of town...