• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Carve or float? trying to pick new boards

Schusseur

I'm 6'0"/ 205lbs, now skiing on 184cm Volkl Vertigo Motion skis, 74mm waist, bought 4 or 5 seasons ago. They're quite stable through crud/variated conditions. Last year, tried a pair of 175cm Volkl 5-stars, 68 mm waist, -loved 'em. They turned real quick and edges held on to anything. The compromise came when attemtping to blast/cross-through crud or mixed conditions. There I felt a clear "stalling" sensation, which didn't inspire confidence. My other pair wouldn't have flinched across mixed terrain. Is this due to the 5-star's lack of width, which causes instability? Or, does the 5-star need to be stiffer to blast through crud? Is there a ski that has high turning and edge-hold characteristics that also stays solid through mixed terrain? Would the 6-star do better in crud or worse? Thanks for any thoughts.

awf170

i think you should get these :wink:
fatskis.jpg

seriosly though i have no idea... PM starter jackets rule for some info :D

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Is there a ski that has high turning and edge-hold characteristics that also stays solid through mixed terrain?
no. every ski is a compromise unless you specifically want an all powder board or an all groomer board. the better at one end of the spectrum, the worse at the other.

Would the 6-star do better in crud or worse?
from my experience on a 6star, i would not want to take it off groomed. the supersport series really performs best on the groomed from what i have seen or experienced. i have honestly never ever seen a supersport (with exception of the older t50) taken off a groomer. if you enjoyed the vertigo motions, you may want to consider a modern varient of the ski in the 724 series from last year (pro for stiffer, EXP for not as stiff) or the unlimited series this year.
http://www.volkl.com/ski/unlimited.html

there are a boat load of mid-fats that claim to do it all. i find most mid-fats really do sacrifice groomed carving for powder float and crud busting. of those i had tried last year, the elan m666 seemed the best at doing both. head has their chip series, dynastar the legend series (my fav), rossi has the bandits (terrible on groomed), etc. i would recommend going to a demo day and asking each company rep for their best all mountain mid-fat and trying them all out. though if you enjoyed the vertigos, i would bet the unlimited or the 724 (good deals on ebay right now) would suit your needs).

personally, i always recommend getting different boards. i know it is not always financially feasable for everyone, but you gotta make your sacrifices if you really want performance skis for every aspect of the mountain. because contrary to ski company marketing, a one ski solution still does not exist and likely never will exist. ski companies just keep decreasing the sacrifices made by small steps.

sledhaulingmedic

It's hard to find a ski that really "does it all well".

While I've only sampled a few skis out there, I can say that the Atomic M-11's carve well (yes, there are better) and handle crud and soft snow well. (Yes, there are skis that handle those conditions better.

There will always be a comprimise, as the wider ski that floats well will not have the torsional rigidity to help it carve really well.

stomachdoc

I went from Volkl Vertigo Motions to Fischer RX-8s last year. I demoed a bunch of skis at the WV demo day (Volkl 5 stars, 6 stars, Atomic M11, etc.) and the Fischers seemed versatile, but also, for me, were the best carvers and just a blast to ride.

Everyone's different....demo as many skis as you can!

highpeaksdrifter

Schusseur said:
I'm 6'0"/ 205lbs, now skiing on 184cm Volkl Vertigo Motion skis, 74mm waist, bought 4 or 5 seasons ago. They're quite stable through crud/variated conditions. Last year, tried a pair of 175cm Volkl 5-stars, 68 mm waist, -loved 'em. They turned real quick and edges held on to anything. The compromise came when attemtping to blast/cross-through crud or mixed conditions. There I felt a clear "stalling" sensation, which didn't inspire confidence. My other pair wouldn't have flinched across mixed terrain. Is this due to the 5-star's lack of width, which causes instability? Or, does the 5-star need to be stiffer to blast through crud? Is there a ski that has high turning and edge-hold characteristics that also stays solid through mixed terrain? Would the 6-star do better in crud or worse? Thanks for any thoughts.

5 and 6 stars are very different skis. They both do certain things very well, but from your description it sounds like you might want to try the Atomic metron B5 or the Nordica Hop Rod Top Fuel, both are stiff, will blast through anything and will certainly hold an edge.

http://www.nordica.com/home.php

highpeaksdrifter

stomachdoc said:
I went from Volkl Vertigo Motions to Fischer RX-8s last year. I demoed a bunch of skis at the WV demo day (Volkl 5 stars, 6 stars, Atomic M11, etc.) and the Fischers seemed versatile, but also, for me, were the best carvers and just a blast to ride.

Everyone's different....demo as many skis as you can!

I had a pair of RX8's and I agree with you they are a blast. I liked them better then both the 5 and 6 stars. Quick turner, fun in bumps and they can hold an edge. My only mild complaint was they let me down a little out West in deeper snow and crud, but they also don't claim that those conditions are there strong suit.

head iM-75....nuff said....
well almost most "All Mtn' skis are just softer and wider "GS" skis.
but if Ski companys marketing departments sold them as "Soft GS skis" people would most likely not even give them a try.
So they came up with some slick new name 4 the "Soft GS " skis.
As far as the 5 star vs the 6 star.
riv nailed it!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
well almost most "All Mtn' skis are just softer and wider "GS" skis.
i disagree. the performance of the "all mountain mid-fat" is nothing like a GS race ski. the 6* is essentially a GS ski, imo, despite being in the mid-fat catagory. most mid-fats construction feel completely different than a race ski and suffer a lack of performance on groomed compared to their race ski brothers and sisters. while the "all mountain mid-fat" may have evolved from race skis, the construction is vastly different in regards to performance on hard pack. which is why i generally advocate for a multiple ski quivver when ever possible instead of trying to get one ski that does it all... because you always sacrifice something.

i would rather have a pair of skis that both perform at 9's on their preferred snow type and 5 on other snow types than one ski that performs at a 7 in everything. then again, most skis are not as demanding in the preferance of performance, so your milage may vary.