• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Posting during telecons

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
The best are Friday afternoon con-calls when I'm working from home...after I've had a few...and I forget to hit the mute button when throwing the empties into the recycling can...whoops

hammer

8-10 is a light week at my job. I've gone over 24.

Yep we talk more about doing things than actually doing them. AT&T sucks.
I work in a small company but with bigger companies as customers...and I can definitely say that AT&T is not the only place that does this.

It's amazing how many hours people can put in for the actual amount of work done...:roll:

dmc

I just got off of a 2 hour call... :blink:

I'm known at work as someone who doesn't like to have meetings about meetings.. I believe it is from my 15 years as an AT&T employee.. I'm the kind of person that can't read Dilbert because I lived it... :)

dmc

I've never been on a conferance call..you guys are lucky..

I guess dead guys don't answer the other end.. "Um.... Yeah... this headstone is NOT me... I asked for a sign of David and gave me a cross..."

If they do - let me know... that would be cool...

Geoff

My observation from interacting with big companies. They always have a ton of mandarins who don't really do anything and don't make decisions. Their knee-jerk reaction to any interaction with a vendor is "Let's have a weekly conference call." Their sole role is to bog down productive people.

I did quite a bit of standards body work for phone systems in the Cable TV industry for a number of years as one of the hats I was wearing. Unlike business calls where you could drift off as some corporate drone went on about something that has already been covered in detail in other meetings or in written communication the guy hasn't bothered to read, I had to pay attention through the whole thing to prevent horrible technical decisions from being made.

Puck it

Always and even meetings. Like right now.

I have had telecon on lifts and runs. I have a Skullcany Bluetooth for my Giro helmet.

I guess dead guys don't answer the other end.. "Um.... Yeah... this headstone is NOT me... I asked for a sign of David and gave me a cross..."

If they do - let me know... that would be cool...

We have alot of customers make artwork changes..but not via telecon...is telecon just a fancy work for 3-way calling??? We do get people who order a 2nd or even 3rd monument because they change their mind after the monument is completed..that's what I call bonus business.

Jisch

I am on conf calls 5-6 hours per day, easily. I've done them from mountain bike trails many times, usually those are "days off" when I had to do a conf call for something really important. I work from home as well.

I overheard my kids describing my job to a friend one time "he talks on the phone and sends email", that's pretty much it.

John

mondeo

We have alot of customers make artwork changes..but not via telecon...is telecon just a fancy work for 3-way calling??? We do get people who order a 2nd or even 3rd monument because they change their mind after the monument is completed..that's what I call bonus business.
Typically more than 3. I've seen 12 callers, inculding conference rooms with multiple people.

dmc

Got 12 people on the one I'm on now..
Using Skype for audio...

Typically more than 3. I've seen 12 callers, inculding conference rooms with multiple people.

Do you guys do video conferancing as well?? I still don't understand how work can get done when people are on conferance calls several hours a day unless work is being delegated over the call..Anyway if I play my cards right..I might be able to steer clear of the corporate world..

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
:wink: :D

cubicle-man2.jpg

Last edited:

Jisch

I manage guys who live in NE, Canada and Texas. We have to collaborate on many things with many people from all over the world, that's what I'm usually doing on conf calls, essentially it is "my work".

I've done regular video conference calls before and they are more distracting than they are worth. There is a new game in town though, high def video conferencing. It really does seem like the person on the other end of the camera is in the room with you - they design them as immersive type scenarios. Its pretty cool.

John

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Do you guys do video conferancing as well?? I still don't understand how work can get done when people are on conferance calls several hours a day unless work is being delegated over the call..Anyway if I play my cards right..I might be able to steer clear of the corporate world..

We used to have camera's and TV's set up between several offices to do video conferences. Believe it or not, but it never really caught on

Paul

I work in a small company but with bigger companies as customers...and I can definitely say that AT&T is not the only place that does this.

It's amazing how many hours people can put in for the actual amount of work done...:roll:

True, I usually work 60+ hours a week due to time lost in calls.

I just got off of a 2 hour call... :blink:

I'm known at work as someone who doesn't like to have meetings about meetings.. I believe it is from my 15 years as an AT&T employee.. I'm the kind of person that can't read Dilbert because I lived it... :)

Ditto. I have a weekly call to discuss Erickson GGSNs that is 4 hours. I used to like Dilbert

My observation from interacting with big companies. They always have a ton of mandarins who don't really do anything and don't make decisions. Their knee-jerk reaction to any interaction with a vendor is "Let's have a weekly conference call." Their sole role is to bog down productive people.

I did quite a bit of standards body work for phone systems in the Cable TV industry for a number of years as one of the hats I was wearing. Unlike business calls where you could drift off as some corporate drone went on about something that has already been covered in detail in other meetings or in written communication the guy hasn't bothered to read, I had to pay attention through the whole thing to prevent horrible technical decisions from being made.

The mandarins are known as "Account Reps" They do something, it's called "obfuscation."

Geoff

True, I usually work 60+ hours a week due to time lost in calls.

Ditto. I have a weekly call to discuss Erickson GGSNs that is 4 hours. I used to like Dilbert

The mandarins are known as "Account Reps" They do something, it's called "obfuscation."

I used to have two hours per week with Ericsson in Plano. Unfortunately, they didn't buy my company (the moron 2nd wave management team at my company deluded themselves that it was worth 4x what anyone would have ever paid) and the stock is now worthless.

Mandarins have many job titles. Project manager is a classic do-nothing title. Product manager is another. I always ask people who hand me that kind of business card how many direct reports they have. The answer invariably is zero. Exactly who are they managing? That same startup did a little bit of joint work with Lucent. It was unbelievable. They'd have more people on the conference call than we had employees. None of those people ever did anything.

Paul

I used to have two hours per week with Ericsson in Plano. Unfortunately, they didn't buy my company (the moron 2nd wave management team at my company deluded themselves that it was worth 4x what anyone would have ever paid) and the stock is now worthless.

Mandarins have many job titles. Project manager is a classic do-nothing title. Product manager is another. I always ask people who hand me that kind of business card how many direct reports they have. The answer invariably is zero. Exactly who are they managing? That same startup did a little bit of joint work with Lucent. It was unbelievable. They'd have more people on the conference call than we had employees. None of those people ever did anything.

Ugh... don't get me started on Project Management. They even have a faux fancy certification...