• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

9/8: Headlamping the Hancocks

Sherpa John

Website
www.wildwhites.com
Date(s) Hiked: 9/8/05

Trails(s) Hiked: Hancock Notch, Cedar Brook, Hancock Loop

Total Distance: ??

Difficulty: Moderate

Conditions: DRY

Special Required Equipment: Headlamp

After another wonderful 8 hour day of landscraping, lolly and I met up in Lincoln to go for a run around the Hancocks. Equipped with our lightest gear and headlamps, we headed for the hairpin turn.

At 5:40ish we headed out on the trail and immediately immersed ourselves in the woods and each others friendship. It was a wonderful evening in the woods. The skies had become overcast with the threat of a short sprinkle.

Just before the 1st Junction we ran into some of the freshman class from Holderness. They were camping out for the night as part of their bonding experiences. What a wonderful Idea and I only wise my high school had done something similar.

We continued up the trail. I was surprised to see all the stream crossings having low water and easily negotiable. We took the North Hancock section of the loop first and even that BOG that is typically full (at least I thought so) had been dried up. Just as we started the real climbing up the side of N. Han.. the wind picked up and a few sprinkles began to fall.

The North Hancock Link has had some extensive rock work done by the AMC trail crews. A large section of rock steps and a large section of timber steps now grace the trail, making it MUCH easier for ascent and as we talked later.. it may NOW be the way to go by doing South Han first and coming down north.

At the summit we saw the last glimmer of peach sunshine, shining through a crack in the over cast. A brief shower came over the peak, wind continued to pick up and we broke out the head lamps. Darkness settled in fast and we scurried across the ridge and then back out towards the road.

We found the typical muddy sections of the trail to be not so easily negotiated in the dark. We both tripped and fell in a few times but a laugh was had each time. Upon reaching the high schoolers, we turned off our lamps and snuck up on the group. And at JUST the right moment, I let out a blood curdling scream! They all jumped and the girls shreaked. What a hoot!

We made it back to the car for slightly after 9:15 and headed back for town.

Another GREAT night for hiking.. and more peaks bagged again.
Until next time.. happy trails.

The Fiddlers