• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pack Policies

SKIQUATTRO

Seems like every mtn has a different policy regarding packs..MRG/Smuggs you have to have it in your lap on the lift, Sugarbush you could leave it on....wasnt just the lifties at a particular lift, but it was all the lifts all over the mtn...when its warm out or i'm hungover, i'll throw a camelbak on to stay hydrated, but its a pain to keep having to remove it for the lift.....

I can't stand skiing with a backpack..I just eat snow if I'm thirsty...I know Stowe wants backpacks removed for the forerunner quad...The Tram at Jackson Hole is extra tight with all the people with giant backpacks..with a backpack on, I assume pulling the bar down is a must because you are a few inches forward..

I suggest using a fannypack..one with a waterbottle holder...problem solved..

SKIQUATTRO

i dont see the need for skiing/riding with a huge pack esp on lift services east coast terrain, but every now and then its helpful to have liquids handy.....

poconovfr

I'll ski with one when warranted.......hungover is good. I use just a bladder and pack and put it under my jacket.Know one knows and it's not to intrusive.

sLoPeS

never heard of a pack policy before. id say i wear one 70% of the time and i take it off on each lift ride. with the nalgene, xtra longsleeve, xtra goggles, beer, misc crap, etc i have to take it off on a chair. i love it when someone asks me, or better yet cracks a joke, about my pack. i laugh my ass off, knowing that i am skiing places they have no idea exist. insert shit-eating-grin.

For gaper day I wear a backpack to keep beer..I always keep it on when riding the lift and have had chugging contests on the lift..so at Blue mountain there is no pack policy..

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
I can't stand skiing with a backpack..I just eat snow if I'm thirsty...I know Stowe wants backpacks removed for the forerunner quad...The Tram at Jackson Hole is extra tight with all the people with giant backpacks..with a backpack on, I assume pulling the bar down is a must because you are a few inches forward..

I suggest using a fannypack..one with a waterbottle holder...problem solved..

Fannypack=-:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::grin::grin::lol::lol::lol:

SKidds

I only use a pack at Eastern lift service resorts if I know I am going to spend significant time in hike to/backcountry terrain. Used a pack at Stowe when we spent time hiking the chin. I take a pack when spending a day in the Slides at WF. I usually have it off my back but slung over one shoulder getting on the lift. Was never instructed by a lift attendant at either place that I had to do otherwise.

sledhaulingmedic

Unfortunately, I haven't had a day that I could ski without one yet this season. I'll ski without one whenever I ca get the chance. (I just haven;t made the chances this season.)

BeanoNYC

I keep a camelback for hydration when I'm hungover. It's got enough room to keep some other things too, so usually have an extra pair of socks and glove liners too.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
if i have my small pack its not really an issue but with my touring pack i usually have rope, some beeniers, a harness, space blanket, and layers. so it just rides in my lap.

i have no idea why you would have a large pack when you are quad side at stowe. well maybe for a bruce run or a skin across the ridge but i usually have my pack when im on gondi side.