• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

Greg

Staff member
Welcome Hawkshot99! Fellow Jiminy skier here....

Hunter0305

New here

:beer: :beer: :daffy: Lurked for a while. Member of Epic and TGR, although I realize that should not be used in the same sentence. Spent a few years in alta as a young man, "read gaper" and as an older man, finding my roots in the NE. No longer at Huntah, but for the time being, content in Northern Vermont. VT is great, but I miss the pow.

Greg

Staff member
Welcome Hunter0305! It's chill here. Probably more like Epic, but we're the best place to discuss NE skiing.

Last edited:

Sheik Yerbouti

Sorry, missed my turn at my intro, new here, been skiing a long time, just haven't ski'd that much. When I was living in Chicago, my brother lived in SLC and I got a chance to ski Alta with some locals as well as some of the staff, that was well worth remembering.
Ski'd in Wisconsin, the UP, and I moved out here 2 years ago, and picked up skiing again last year for the first time in well over 7 years. Nasty year to go back to it.
Anyway, great to see forum like this around, my wife doesn't ski, so I'm kinda stuck doing this alone. Thanks for all the info. Hope to see some of you on the trails.

Greg

Staff member
Welcome Sheik Yerbouti! Great handle, BTW!

helmetcam

Greetings!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm an active member at killingtonzone.com and (to a lesser extent) TGR.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Ooooh boy. You're not friends with AndyZ are you?

Hey hey, watch that crap or next time I see you, off the mountain you go!
Marc.gif

Briskies

hey guys
So i am a Student at UVM, i am 20 i have been skiing with the family since i was 3. I am from Scarborough Maine so i grew up skiing the loaf mostly, making trips to Saddleback and Sundayriver sometimes. I am a Junior now and freshmen year at UVM i skied Jay peak, sophmore year i skied the Bush and i am planing on skiing at the Bush again this year. Currently i am in New Zealand sutdying for a smester at the University of Otago. I have hit up the Remarkables, Cornet Peak, Cadrona, And Treble Cone since i have been here its been nice to ski in july and august. I am majoring in Recreation management and i am minoring in Business. So yea and I love skiing and i love Vermont.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums Briskies! Sounds like you'll fit it good around here. When are you going to be back stateside?

askstowell

My nine year old daughter started skiing when we got her into a group lesson at Nashoba in 2004 and quite frankly thought she'd think it was too cold and wouldn't be into it. Umm, in her first lesson she was zipping all around while all the other kids were falling/couldn't even stand and she was having an absolute blast. I never skiied and my wife hadn't in 15 years so there was pretty much no history with us...we just thought it would be something fun for her to try. Within two weeks we supplemented the group lessons with a private lesson and the instructor took her right to the lift as we continued to be, quite frankly, stunned by how quickly she took to it.

So the next year I figured I better learn quick as she wouldn't be able to go off by herself being so young so at 40 I took my first group lessons and within a couple of weeks, her and I were hitting Gunstock, Sunapee, Bretton Woods, Pats Peak, etc. Must have skiied 35 times my first year. I just picked it up real easy too and couldn't believe I hadn't done this years ago...I feel like I wasted half my life as this is so much fun! I truly can see her and I doing this together for years.

So basically last year in her 3rd year skiing, she started racing (GS suit and the whole bit) and will continue it this year. And my wife and I think back to when she first put the skis on, never thinking that she'd take to it so easily and have so much fun.

Last Saturday we got the bindings mounted on her Rossi Power 9 race skis, turned in her old Rossi Bandit rec skis she skiied and raced on last year (we're still learning and she basically raced on "my first skis" last year!), and picked up her back up/bum around pair, new Volkl Race Tigers, plus new Nordica boots. Plus I picked up an early Christmas present, new Rossi Zenith/Z5s. We're hooked!

At present I'm mapping out our winter, from her weekly practices and races, to just time for her and I to bum around various areas, some we've been to in the past and hopefully target one or two we haven't as we try to get to a new one each year. Seeing also about getting to Sugarbush for the first time over holiday for a race camp for her. And looking forward to the big Boston Ski Show to see what freebies we can score this year.

So we're basically having a blast and really appreciate forums like this to help learn the ropes!

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome to the forums askstowell! Thanks for the introduction. That's great that your daughter took to skiing that well.

There are lots of knowledgeable folks here that can help you plan your ski vacations.

Greg

Staff member
Welcome askstowell! great intro!