New Member Introductions Thread - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss
    We have a crew here from Wachusett that you might be interested in getting to know...
    HOLA! Marc, my son just graduated from WPI this past spring. Congrats. Great school.

There are a few folks in here who ski Wa. It's my primary spot (like you, proximity and price are hard to beat).

TrailBoss came to a Chatfest @ Wa last year...he was haunting Wa's forum (operated by RSN, but subsequently went belly up...or face in the salad...not operating at this time).

Welcome aboard Marc!
    Loved the extreme bovine comment.
    Hope we can hook up on an AZ gathering, I'll spend a little time getting you more up to speed in bumps.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG.
    I'll spend a little time getting you more up to speed in bumps.
    Take Jim up on this, Marc! I used some of his tips from a trip to Hunter last December for the remainder of last season.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    Take Jim up on this, Marc! I used some of his tips from a trip to Hunter last December for the remainder of last season.
    And your form is better. Look at your avatar...we've got some long downhill leg/shorter uphill leg going on, some actual angulation in those hips too!

See that uphill hand? That's gotta move up a bit to match the pitch of the slope...it'll help you square you shoulders up to the fall line too.

it'll help you square you shoulders up to the fall line too.
    Keep your boobs pointing down hill...
    "Sometimes the rock n roll life is not all rainbows & fairy dust..." - Fake Jerry

Thanks for the warm welcome guys... I'll have my century pass soon. I'll be going up North most weekends (hopefully) and to Wachusett after work. When I had the time in college I was up there 4 times a week most weeks. I work exactly an hour away, get out at 3:30, on the slopes by 4:45... since most of my slacker friends (not that there's anything wrong with that) are still in school, I'd be going up alone on weekdays a lot, so meeting up with anyone on here that frequents that mountain, that'd be awesome...

Here's to a great winter w/ lots of snow!

Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg
    And your form is better. Look at your avatar...we've got some long downhill leg/shorter uphill leg going on, some actual angulation in those hips too!

See that uphill hand? That's gotta move up a bit to match the pitch of the slope...it'll help you square you shoulders up to the fall line too.
    Thanks Jim. And I thought it was all the new duds that made me look better this season...

Also, I will take tips in the bumps from anyone who's willing to offer them...

So far the hardest part for me has been finding trails and conditions suitable for learning.

Oddly enough, I improved the quickest on a glade trail at Snow last year. It forced me to keep my head up and focus 3 - 4 turns ahead. That felt a bit more natural as you do the same when you mountain bike.

Well fortunately I'm not the type that gets easily discouraged... I have fun even when I'm falling all over myself (read: most of the time )
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    Also, I will take tips in the bumps from anyone who's willing to offer them...

So far the hardest part for me has been finding trails and conditions suitable for learning.
    I sound like a broken record sometimes, but head up to Loon midweek sometime this season and check out the seeded bump runs they lay down on some of the blues. The mellower pitch and consistent bumps have really helped me improve.

Oddly enough, I improved the quickest on a glade trail at Snow last year. It forced me to keep my head up and focus 3 - 4 turns ahead. That felt a bit more natural as you do the same when you mountain bike.
    You got it right about keeping your head up and looking 3 or 4 turns ahread of your. Keep you hands up and forward as well.

Well fortunately I'm not the type that gets easily discouraged... I have fun even when I'm falling all over myself (read: most of the time )
    You sound like me. I also started skiing while in college so I know how difficult it can be as an adult. I always found skiing fun regardless of how many times I fell down. The challenge is what I enjoy most about it still and I improve every season.

catenary and panther at wildcat are two great intermediate bumpers which i found great for learning on, especially in softer spring snow.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Thread Information