New Member Introductions Thread - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 162 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    welcome. My name is Rich and I like deep conversation and long walks on the beach.

~Rich~

Quote Originally Posted by BeanoNYC
    welcome. My name is Rich and I like deep conversation and long walks on the beach.
    LOL - that was funny.
    People often work backward from a firm conclusion to find supporting facts, rather than letting evidence inform their views. ---

Okemo is another good place to learn the bumps. I drastically improved in just a day from "sucky beginner" to "can do them without stalling" status by spending a little time on Sel's Choice and then Plunge.

Since you ski Wa regularly, I'd assume you'd know their bumps are no good at all. It's like they take tons of pieces of ice, lay them out, throw snow on them, and then let tham get scraped in 30 minutes.

Cannon is a good place for natural bumps. Rocket and the other front 5 trails are great bump trails. you also have the tight runs off to the right of Cannonball.

Anyways... welcome. If you want a bunch of Wa TRs, I posted about 20 last year so you can look at those if you wish.

definitely would not recommend cannon for someone learning bumps. the recent addition of intermediate level bumps on skier's right of rocket and gary's were a welcome addition. rocket's bumps can be especially sweet when the snow is right. but rocket is rather steep for a blue square making it a tough trail to learn on. zoomer, paulie's, and avalanche are pretty steep bumps and can get quite nasty at times... some days even in throw in the towel and look else where. vista way can sport some nice bumps when it's just right, but usually takes a lot of snow and some sun to get things looking good. just my two cents.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    I agree with Zand...Okemo is very good for learning bumps. They do a good job with their snowmaking and the place is not steep. Plenty of good ego bumps to learn on.

I'll have to check out okemo... went there once when I was first learning to ski, but we often stay right in ludlow when heading up to kmart.

And Greg, I also have enjoyed continuously learning and improving over these last five winters.

I've noticed it can be hard sometimes when I hit a plateau on the learning curve but I always resort to the best philosophy for staying up on those flat spots-

"If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly."
    Making sanity obsolete since 1982...

I have found my match.
    Skiing is my addiction.

Do you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain?

Hi Marc, CT represents!
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

3D and the seeded course on Dreammaker at Sunday River are good to learn on.

Sounds like you have most important part - looking downhill 3 or 4 bumps. I use my poles for rhythm and actually to help check my speed. I learned by watching friends and the Gould Sunday River freestyle Team along with practice and alot of crashes.

I'll be happy to give you some pointers if you are ever up at the River although I would have to put on my alpine gear.

Items for Sale

Re: New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    So anyway, for all those that are interested, that's me. Hopefully can get in on one of these AZ gatherings... I also have one friend I always ski a lot with, I'll see if maybe I can get him on the board, and def. to a gathering.
    Yes, definitely get in on the AZ Outings, which are TBA and feel free to PM people once you've gotten to know folks (with regards to meeting up). Yes, we like new people...so invite your friends as well!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information