• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

presuttico

skiers edge

hi all i am interested in buying a skiers edge i thought i saw one offered here is it still forsale?

C-Rex

Hey everyone. I've been lurking around here and throwing my .02 in for a couple weeks now so I guess it's time for an intro.

I'm originally from Tolland, CT but live in East Windsor now. I've been snowboarding for around 17 years now. Most of that was probably 10-15 day seasons on average, but the past 5 or 6 years have been in the 25-35 day range. I'm not a big park guy, but I do love a good jump line or a nice hip to launch. (who doesn't?) Natural terrain is where I have the most fun. If the snow is even half decent, you'll probably find me in the woods, and if not I'll be looking for rollers on fast groomers.

I'm hoping this will be the year I dive into more side and back-country stuff. I got a taste of it out in Tahoe last season and now I'm hooked. Avalanche cert., avy gear, and a splitboard are all on the list for this season.

For work, I'm a CAD guy for an aerospace company. Luckily, my boss is rabid skier so he's cool with me calling out on snow days. He usually just wants to know where I'm going in case he wants to meet up with me for a beer at lunch.

Oh, I'm also the guy in charge of membership for the HS Ski Club, which is a CT Ski Council affiliate.

I hope can offer the occasional nugget of useful information in my posts, but to be honest it'll probably be mostly wise cracks and pot stirring...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I hope can offer the occasional nugget of useful information in my posts, but to be honest it'll probably be mostly wise cracks and pot stirring...

Welcome. I'll bet you a ticket to Cochran's that I can say dumber things than you can! Every little nugget helps. We wouldn't be where we are today without good hot tips.

AllTunedUp

Website
www.alltunedup.com
I'm hoping this will be the year I dive into more side and back-country stuff. I got a taste of it out in Tahoe last season and now I'm hooked. Avalanche cert., avy gear, and a splitboard are all on the list for this season.

Welcome! I'm new to the forum as well but PM me if you need help finding your backcountry gear. I have gear that may fit the bill. Or I could point you in the right direction...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey everyone. I've been lurking around here and throwing my .02 in for a couple weeks now so I guess it's time for an intro.

For work, I'm a CAD guy for an aerospace company. Luckily, my boss is rabid skier so he's cool with me calling out on snow days. He usually just wants to know where I'm going in case he wants to meet up with me for a beer at lunch.

Oh, I'm also the guy in charge of membership for the HS Ski Club, which is a CT Ski Council affiliate.

Welcome to the forums! Good to hear you have a sympathetic boss to your addiction :daffy:

Wise cracks and pot stirring are perfectly acceptable 'round here :wink:

Myotis

Hi everyone,
I joined this forum so I can get better informed about places to go backcountry skiing around the Northeast and eastern Canada. Before I start asking questions, though, I'll just say a few words about myself. I'm a pretty mellow backcountry/Nordic skier, still working on getting a decent tele turn after several years of sporadic to moderate practice at the local ski hill here in northern VT. I mostly just like to get out in the woods, enjoy the quiet, and spend some fun time with my husband, friends, and our canine companions. I do love to travel and explore new places, especially if they are protected areas like national parks and other conserved lands, and offer ample opportunities to see wildlife. I'm not into big resorts, the latest gear, or anything very ambitious.

I look forward to learning from the collective wisdom and experience on this forum!

Myotis

jrivero

Hi. This is the first time using this website. I am writing from Florida and wanted to find out information for NE specifically Boston.

jrivero

my kids, 8 and 10 want to see snow for the first time. We wanted to travel to Boston at the end of January. Is there normally snow at that time or would we need to travel farther out?

gmcunni

just curious -

1. what does HS stand for?
2. is everyone in the club from UTC? i see the "contact list " is all utc folks.

Morwax

my kids, 8 and 10 want to see snow for the first time. We wanted to travel to Boston at the end of January. Is there normally snow at that time or would we need to travel farther out?
You will most likely find plenty of snow in Boston at that time of year. But snow goes best with mountains. :beer:

bvibert

Staff member
You will most likely find plenty of snow in Boston at that time of year. But snow goes best with mountains. :beer:

Agreed, if you're coming up to see snow then plan a drive north as part of your trip. You might even want to consider taking a trip to ski area and putting the kids in lessons...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hi. This is the first time using this website. I am writing from Florida and wanted to find out information for NE specifically Boston.

Everyone presumes you mean the environs of New England since this is a ski and board group. However you state "specifically Boston". You must know, but I'll say it with bits and bytes - there is almost no snow that stays in the city proper. Lots of ice and slush. Get a few miles inland and it all changes. Welcome nonetheless.

o3jeff

If they haven't seen snow, they probably haven't seen many mountains. Like others have said head further north and enjoy them both.

aaronbru

Back to the skiing life.

I'm 24 and have been skiing my whole life on used hand-me-downs. In the past, being a broke college kid living in RI, that was about all I could afford (or scroung up from x-skiing family members for free). I'm a strong skiier when comparing myself to the east coast crowd but have NEVER skiied out west. I've yet to find an east coast trail that throws me back on my heels saying oh S*** what did I get myself into! (which is how I stumbled onto this site, googling 'hardest ski trails on the east coast').

With a shoulder injury recently inturupting my intense volleyball life, I'm back to skiing.

In the past I had been skiing on a pair of 10 yr old Rosignols (shaped skis, probably a 2nd or 3rd gen). They were damn heavy, had a large turning radius and really just didn't suit my style of skiing.

So I've slurged and bought a new pair of 2012 Atomic Blackeye's @ 174cm.

I've got three trips planned for 1, 2 and 3 days of skiing starting 12/23 at, in order, waterville, killington, and jay peak.

Because I live in RI, I'll be buying a Bronze level season pass to Wachusett so I can shoot up there after work and get some night skiing in.

So cheers to getting back into skiing.

My favorite conditions/trail types include steeps with volkswagon size bumps and glades. I used to be a park rat in my early college years, but avoid it (but don't regret it) now. Skiing the park made me very comfortable in the air, making those volkswagon size bumps lots of fun!

bvibert

Staff member
I'm 24 and have been skiing my whole life on used hand-me-downs. In the past, being a broke college kid living in RI, that was about all I could afford (or scroung up from x-skiing family members for free). I'm a strong skiier when comparing myself to the east coast crowd but have NEVER skiied out west. I've yet to find an east coast trail that throws me back on my heels saying oh S*** what did I get myself into! (which is how I stumbled onto this site, googling 'hardest ski trails on the east coast').

With a shoulder injury recently inturupting my intense volleyball life, I'm back to skiing.

In the past I had been skiing on a pair of 10 yr old Rosignols (shaped skis, probably a 2nd or 3rd gen). They were damn heavy, had a large turning radius and really just didn't suit my style of skiing.

So I've slurged and bought a new pair of 2012 Atomic Blackeye's @ 174cm.

I've got three trips planned for 1, 2 and 3 days of skiing starting 12/23 at, in order, waterville, killington, and jay peak.

Because I live in RI, I'll be buying a Bronze level season pass to Wachusett so I can shoot up there after work and get some night skiing in.

So cheers to getting back into skiing.

My favorite conditions/trail types include steeps with volkswagon size bumps and glades. I used to be a park rat in my early college years, but avoid it (but don't regret it) now. Skiing the park made me very comfortable in the air, making those volkswagon size bumps lots of fun!

Welcome to the forums!