• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hey all, wanted to introduce myself before I started posting, I've been lurking and reading for a couple weeks... everyone seems pretty cool and laid back, like I am, and I love the website, good job mods, webmasters, etc.

I'm 23, hold a BS and an MS from WPI and work for FM Global as a fire protection engineer. I currently live in the small farming town of Woodstock, CT in the extreme north eastern part of CT (thats extreme directionally, there's nothing else extreme about the town save for our bovine population).

I started skiing 5 years ago as a freshman in Worcester. Learned at Wachusett and still ski there, cheap season pass, convenient, etc. Did the All East pass this year and skied K-mart and Mount Snow a lot, until my 2nd semester took total control of my life.

Went for the All For One this year, and hope to further improve. Pretty good at carving groomers, did a little NASTAR, starting learning the bumps last year but still suck at them.

I ski all winter and mountain and road bike all summer... just bought an '01 Audi S4 a few months ago and will have nice knobby snows for the winter so I can enjoy the drive almost as much as the mountains... also a vol. firefighter and been doin that for 5 or so years.

So anyway, for all those that are interested, that's me. Hopefully can get in on one of these AZ gatherings... I also have one friend I always ski a lot with, I'll see if maybe I can get him on the board, and def. to a gathering.

bvibert

Staff member
Welcome, looks like you'll fit in fine here. Hope to see you at a AZ gathering or two. :D

sledhaulingmedic

Welcome aboard!

Fire protection engineering...I guess you take all the fun out of my job :)

Vortex

Welcome. I'll sell your customer some fire proofing material.
Visit the trip and events folder. We will make some ASC resorts this year. We have some Sunday River Regulars and killington Regulars.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Thanks rivercOil, in case I feel like procrastinating at work I might do that...

Sledhaulingmedic... yeah, I make my own life less fun being a firefighter and an FPE... kinda funny like that, but this was the only job I could find where I'd have the time to ski bike and still play with fire ;) Where do you work? I was a FF in Auburn MA for two years while I was going to school and saw a fair share of medics between WEMS, and Patriot and Pathways who both ran ALS for us.

Also for the mods... I wouldn't object to seeing a mountain biking forum a little later down the line if you think you have enough interested members...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Welcome to the boards, Marc. We have a crew here from Wachusett that you might be interested in getting to know... :wink:

Greg

Staff member
Welcome, Marc! Here's to a great ski season! :beer:

Sky

thetrailboss said:
We have a crew here from Wachusett that you might be interested in getting to know... :wink:

HOLA! Marc, my son just graduated from WPI this past spring. Congrats. Great school.

There are a few folks in here who ski Wa. It's my primary spot (like you, proximity and price are hard to beat).

TrailBoss came to a Chatfest @ Wa last year...he was haunting Wa's forum (operated by RSN, but subsequently went belly up...or face in the salad...not operating at this time).

JimG.

Staff member
Welcome aboard Marc!
Loved the extreme bovine comment.
Hope we can hook up on an AZ gathering, I'll spend a little time getting you more up to speed in bumps.

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
I'll spend a little time getting you more up to speed in bumps.
Take Jim up on this, Marc! I used some of his tips from a trip to Hunter last December for the remainder of last season.

JimG.

Staff member
Greg said:
Take Jim up on this, Marc! I used some of his tips from a trip to Hunter last December for the remainder of last season.

And your form is better. Look at your avatar...we've got some long downhill leg/shorter uphill leg going on, some actual angulation in those hips too!

See that uphill hand? That's gotta move up a bit to match the pitch of the slope...it'll help you square you shoulders up to the fall line too.

dmc

JimG. said:
it'll help you square you shoulders up to the fall line too.

Keep your boobs pointing down hill...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Thanks for the warm welcome guys... I'll have my century pass soon. I'll be going up North most weekends (hopefully) and to Wachusett after work. When I had the time in college I was up there 4 times a week most weeks. I work exactly an hour away, get out at 3:30, on the slopes by 4:45... since most of my slacker friends (not that there's anything wrong with that) are still in school, I'd be going up alone on weekdays a lot, so meeting up with anyone on here that frequents that mountain, that'd be awesome...

Here's to a great winter w/ lots of snow!

:beer:

Greg

Staff member
JimG. said:
Greg said:

And your form is better. Look at your avatar...we've got some long downhill leg/shorter uphill leg going on, some actual angulation in those hips too!

See that uphill hand? That's gotta move up a bit to match the pitch of the slope...it'll help you square you shoulders up to the fall line too.
Thanks Jim. And I thought it was all the new duds that made me look better this season... ;)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, I will take tips in the bumps from anyone who's willing to offer them...

So far the hardest part for me has been finding trails and conditions suitable for learning.

Oddly enough, I improved the quickest on a glade trail at Snow last year. It forced me to keep my head up and focus 3 - 4 turns ahead. That felt a bit more natural as you do the same when you mountain bike.

Well fortunately I'm not the type that gets easily discouraged... I have fun even when I'm falling all over myself (read: most of the time ;))

Greg

Staff member
Marc said:
Also, I will take tips in the bumps from anyone who's willing to offer them...

So far the hardest part for me has been finding trails and conditions suitable for learning.
I sound like a broken record sometimes, but head up to Loon midweek sometime this season and check out the seeded bump runs they lay down on some of the blues. The mellower pitch and consistent bumps have really helped me improve.

Marc said:
Oddly enough, I improved the quickest on a glade trail at Snow last year. It forced me to keep my head up and focus 3 - 4 turns ahead. That felt a bit more natural as you do the same when you mountain bike.
You got it right about keeping your head up and looking 3 or 4 turns ahread of your. Keep you hands up and forward as well.

Marc said:
Well fortunately I'm not the type that gets easily discouraged... I have fun even when I'm falling all over myself (read: most of the time ;))
You sound like me. I also started skiing while in college so I know how difficult it can be as an adult. I always found skiing fun regardless of how many times I fell down. The challenge is what I enjoy most about it still and I improve every season.