• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Member Introductions Thread

skiNEwhere

Welcome Casey! So do you guys call the snowy season "summer" or is that reversed as well?

You should post some TR's (trail reports) while you're here

wa-loaf

Welcome to the forum Casey! Summer is a bit slow around here but it'll get crazy in the winter. And some trips coming up!

Welcome Casey! So do you guys call the snowy season "summer" or is that reversed as well?

You should post some TR's (trail reports) while you're here

While we have summer it's winter in the southern hemisphere.

Savemeasammy

Ran across this site while looking for ski gear in preparation for OUR (New Zealand's) season (just underway) looking forward to trying out a new(for me) carving ski (Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 178cm) unfortunately with Marker TC with a max DIN of 10(I'm pretty much JUST under that limit now@9) Strong Intermediate 220lbs 6'4" and looking to replace it!!! :daffy:

I'm sure I speak for most of us here when I say I hope you stay active on this forum and let us know how the season is going down there! We are desperate for some ski stoke - especially pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

casey9

Website
www.mtruapehu.com
I'm aware of that. I wanted to know if they officially call there present season winter.

Yes it is called winter but for me ex-canuck despite 30 years down-under I have a hard time when there is only 1" of snow 5 times in 25yrs(here in the Wellington area) It gets better on the South Is. in the Queenstown area and 3 1/2hrs north at my local Mt Ruapehu. Mostly I still find it difficult to adjust to BBQs and cricket on the beach at Christmas. :cool:

casey9

Website
www.mtruapehu.com
Every Year I get envious of all the N.American posts in January when I go through withdrawl especially if I haven't had my fix(enough skiing for the year) Mt Ruapehu compares more favourably to East Coast skiing with a lot of icy crust off the groomed trails and windblown on and off trail both at Whakapapa and Turoa. No trees at all! All volcanic rock(crater lakes up on top) and this year will be a slow start due to rain and warmer conditions It should pick up end of July and August and Although I get up a few times early I focus on the spring skiing and will try to get a few current pics posted. Apparently the Club fields on the South Island are really something to be experienced!

casey9

Website
www.mtruapehu.com
Last edited:

Dave157

I live in Burlington, VT (a great view of VT from here)... and am psyched for this season. Bring it.

Whiteout

Finally signed up. Good info here. Love the back drop of the loaf. (Nick check your pm's lol) I started skiing in '89 until 2002, then snowboard only from then. Had a few dry years after fatherhood. Thinking about getting back on skis but the technology is so damn confusing!

CuseInDaHouse

Hey everyone. I'm 35 years old hailing from Maryland but grew up in Maine and skiing the loaf and Sunday river. I am getting back into skiing after a 10 year hiatus, because I want my kids to get out into the slopes with me I joined up to read the equipment threads a dam now looking for a whole new setup.

nmashburn

Long time lurker, but thought it's about time to contribute. Grew up in Florida so I got one opportunity to hit the slopes as a kid. Last year was my first year really putting an effort into learning to turn, and fell in love. I prefer to not be at a resort, since the backcountry is so quiet and beautiful. And I can at least be competitive with my buddies on the way up. :) Long time cyclist, so it's fun to ski trails (e.g. Burke) that prove to be fun year-round.

Happy to be here!