• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Lafayette, Franconia NH, 9/12/05

zowi420

My sister and I tried to hike Mt. Lafayette in Franconia, NH on Monday morning, 9/12/05. The day before had been a beautiful day, but, unfortunately, Monday AM was very hazy and hot. We parked on Rt. 3 at Skookumchuck parking area, and started up the Skookumchuck trail at 7:50 a.m. Everything was great until just below the ridge, around treeline, when the wind really picked up, and the visibility dropped because of the blowing mist. At the junction of Skookumchuck and the Garfield/Franconia Ridge trails, above treeline, the wind was so strong I thought my sister (who is tiny) was going to blow away. We sat behind a rock for a while, thinking it would pass, clear up, and we could go the rest of the way (.8 mi.) to the summit, but it actually seemed to be getting worse! We decided not to chance it; besides, the visibility was nil anyway. We were back at Rt. 3 parking just before 2 p.m., covering almost nine miles. I will be going again when the leaves change.

MtnMagic

One of the most beautiful trails in the Whites and a fine, easy way to the summit of Lafayette I've ever hiked. During the peak of the foliage season, (in just 2 weeks!) it is spectacular. Great trail choice. Enjoy it to the fullest!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Too bad about the weather, but I hope you have great luck on your return trip! I'll be heading up Skookumchuck fairly soon myself, and am looking forward to it. :)