• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Got skins?

Grassi21

I am looking for skins to go with my Volkl Gotama/Marker Baron setup. I was looking at the following two pairs. Should I be looking at other manufacturers or models? The Gotama's dimensions are 133-105-124. I'm guessing I should be looking for skins that are 100mm.

Ascension

BLD0787.jpg

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0787/Black-Diamond-Ascension-Nylon-STS-Skins.html

GlideLite

BLD0794.jpg

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0794/Black-Diamond-GlideLite-Nylon-STS-Skins.html

Grassi21

Look for 130s, then trim to fit the Gotamas.

I follow you. The skin is 130mm wide and you trim it out for the side cut of the ski. The guy at Backcountry.com suggested 100mm so that I would have 2.5mm uncovered on each side underfoot and not have to cut anything. But if I go with 100mm wide those tips and tails will have even less skin coverage....

BigJay

I would suggest going for the 120mm. Normally you take the width of the skins to be as wide as the tip of your skis (133mm in your case). You ski is 100mm at the waist... and with 120mm you'll be plenty wide enough and won't have to trim too much.

Between the 2 sets of skins, i'd go with the glidelight... They're lighter... That's the only difference... grip is the same... tips and tails as well.

So according to "what they say at BD", you need 130mm... but 120mm will work perfectly and you'll save a few bucks... 100mm will definately be too small... You won't get as much grip on steeper slopes.

Hope this helps!

Grassi21

I would suggest going for the 120mm. Normally you take the width of the skins to be as wide as the tip of your skis (133mm in your case). You ski is 100mm at the waist... and with 120mm you'll be plenty wide enough and won't have to trim too much.

Between the 2 sets of skins, i'd go with the glidelight... They're lighter... That's the only difference... grip is the same... tips and tails as well.

So according to "what they say at BD", you need 130mm... but 120mm will work perfectly and you'll save a few bucks... 100mm will definately be too small... You won't get as much grip on steeper slopes.

Hope this helps!

Very helpful. Thanks!

TheBEast

I'd echo what other folks have said. I have a pair of glidelites and really like them, although I don't have much to compare them to. Other friends have G3s and like those as well. 100mm is definitely to small. 120 is probably just about right. When I cut mine to fit you essentially leave the metal edge showing on the base of the ski and have the skin cover as much of the rest of the ski base as possible.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Full coverage on those skins! Go for the 130, you won't be sorry. You should add G3s into your mix and go with whatever you find cheapest between the three options. Apparently, G3 now has a new tool (as opposed to the letter opener tool) that makes cutting near mindless. I have G3 and have no complaints. For years they were too sticky. Now they don't stick enough but that is my fault and just general use. Really surprised a backcountry sales rep would suggest anything less than 120 for your ski. Its not that much difference in price for one size bigger. The more coverage, the less slipping. Trust me, slipping SUUUUCKS.

BigJay

Here's one more tip... take a ruler and measure where your ski actually measures 120mm BETWEEN the edges... That is the maximum coverage you'll get with the 120mm skins... That 120mm shouln't be more then 2-2.5in after the contact point of the ski with the snow... That being said, you'll know if the 120mm are too narrow... of course, the easy choice is too go for the bigger ones and just trim whatever the excess is... based on that, you could even take the 140mm!

Don't want to contradict RiverCoil... Just that when i trimmed my gf's skins, i realise that you trim a lot of material by picking "the right size according to the BD guys"...

As far as G3 is concerned, i have no experience with them!

Grassi21

snowmonster

I use G3 Expeditions which I got at the tailend of last season on the Sunday River access road. As far as skins go, Black Diamond, G3 and BCA are pretty reputable brands. I have heard good things about climbingskinsdirect.com. Good and cheap. Haven't checked it out myself though.

I agree that you need 130s for wall to wall coverage on the Goats. If you don't think you'll be skinning steep or won't be skinning much at all, then you may get away with 120s. It'll save you ten bucks. But, what the heck! You've spent this much for your skis, what's another tenner. Go for the 130.

The skins usually come with a cutting tool, cutting directions, a cheat sheet and a bag. I suggest you do your own cutting just for the learning experience.

So, when do the skis get here? I hope it's in time for this weekend's pow-fest!

Grassi21

I use G3 Expeditions which I got at the tailend of last season on the Sunday River access road. As far as skins go, Black Diamond, G3 and BCA are pretty reputable brands. I have heard good things about climbingskinsdirect.com. Good and cheap. Haven't checked it out myself though.

I agree that you need 130s for wall to wall coverage on the Goats. If you don't think you'll be skinning steep or won't be skinning much at all, then you may get away with 120s. It'll save you ten bucks. But, what the heck! You've spent this much for your skis, what's another tenner. Go for the 130.

The skins usually come with a cutting tool, cutting directions, a cheat sheet and a bag. I suggest you do your own cutting just for the learning experience.

So, when do the skis get here? I hope it's in time for this weekend's pow-fest!

No love this week. The skis should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Then I have to get the bindings mounted. Hoping I get a shot at giving these pups a real test drive this season. :snow:

tjf67

I use the black diamond and bought the skin to cover the entire bottom. They are easy to trim with a sharp rasor.
One thing I dont have that I should have is the clip for the tail end of the ski. Its not a problem until you take them off and have to reapply them at the bottom of a shoot becasue your buddy brought you in the wrong direction. I could not get them to stick to the ski again and had to boot pack up the shoot. It was my fault. Another thing I notice. When they are dry there will be a mesh peace that goes between the skin to keep them from sticking together to much. After you are in the field and take them off stick them directly to each other to retain the stickiness so if you have to take them out and put them back on again.

I am doing the Tamarak slides tomorrow night. BC in the dark is a trip

BigJay

I am doing the Tamarak slides tomorrow night. BC in the dark is a trip

Night skiing to the max! Nice stuff... i don't venture out into the dark... I always carry a headlamp... but prefer not to use it!

go for the 120s!
:smash:

o3jeff

Here you go Grassi, Tramdock has Black Diamond GlideLite Mohair/Nylon MIX STS Skin at $88 in a lot of sizes (90-120)

Grassi21

Here you go Grassi, Tramdock has Black Diamond GlideLite Mohair/Nylon MIX STS Skin at $88 in a lot of sizes (90-120)

ahhh, missed 'em. i am not going for side top side coverage. i would be fine with the 120 if i got a good deal on them...