• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

gmcunni

I think that was mentioned in the thread already. We use Netflix streaming to Wii on a near-daily basis.

LOL - yeah, i see now that Brain mentioned it YESTEREAY! i guess i was distracted by the Elizabeth Berkly picture just below his post.

ctenidae

I have a Panasonic Blu Ray player with Netflix streaming and Pandora. Other than my iPod and the occasional Blu Ray DVD, that's where all my content comes from these days.

We just got the net-enabled blu-ray last week or so. I like it, and streaming NetFlix is good. I just wish you could browse through it, too, instead of having to add movies from a computer, then going in. Not that big of a hassle, really, but it does come in to play when accounting for the laziness factor.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
We just got the net-enabled blu-ray last week or so. I like it, and streaming NetFlix is good. I just wish you could browse through it, too, instead of having to add movies from a computer, then going in. Not that big of a hassle, really, but it does come in to play when accounting for the laziness factor.

It doesn't have at least some of the selections to browse? Through Wii, it has pre-determined categories with 15 or so movies to browse in each, plus it adds categories based on your viewing history. Granted, it's not the full offering to browse, but we have picked quite a few that way, in addition to the 94 or so movies currently in the queue.

ctenidae

Not that I've found, it doesn't. When I open the NetFlix app, it just goes to movies in the streaming queue, no options for anything else.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
thanks smartass.. ;-)

now i have to figure out how to get it working.. i don't use the wii much at all

You have to order a free disc from Netflix first. Then you put that in like it's a game and go from there... Obviously, the Wii has to already be on your wireless internet network at home, too.

bvibert

Staff member
thanks smartass.. ;-)

No problem! :beer:

now i have to figure out how to get it working.. i don't use the wii much at all

This:

You have to order a free disc from Netflix first. Then you put that in like it's a game and go from there... Obviously, the Wii has to already be on your wireless internet network at home, too.

If my wife can figure it out then you should have no problem Gary. :D

Edd

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the reason you have to use a disc with a Wii and PS3 is because Microsoft, with their Xbox, has a contract with Netflix giving them some degree of exclusivity as a streaming device. Having to use the disc with the other 2 systems serves to make the Xbox the only gaming platform where you simply have to turn it on and stream without the burden of loading the disc.

I have a 40" Samsung HDTV and a pretty good eye for video and the streaming here is certainly DVD quality. Of course there are a number of factors involved in the qulity of the stream. Living alone I'm not competing for bandwidth and I sense the load on Comcast's system is light in my area compared to some others.

gmcunni

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the reason you have to use a disc with a Wii and PS3 is because Microsoft, with their Xbox, has a contract with Netflix giving them some degree of exclusivity as a streaming device. Having to use the disc with the other 2 systems serves to make the Xbox the only gaming platform where you simply have to turn it on and stream without the burden of loading the disc.

i've never heard this but sounds like something micsoft would pull... they'll probably buy netflix soon so they can corner the market on streaming and cut out wii + ps3 users.

anyone know if streaming on Xbox is better/worse/same (quality) as Wii? also do they offer high def vs. stand def options? we never hooked the wii up to hd cuz the graphics just aren't that sophisticated.

Edd

anyone know if streaming on Xbox is better/worse/same (quality) as Wii? also do they offer high def vs. stand def options? we never hooked the wii up to hd cuz the graphics just aren't that sophisticated.

Xbox and PS3 are HD devices so they should look better than the Wii as long as the stream is HD quality.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I stream from my Panasonic DMP-BD65 Blu Ray player. You can buy them on Amazon right now for $117.45 with free shipping.
We got the same one recently. Great product at a great price. I don't know how RoKu stays in business with their price point considering integration with other devices. I didn't ever really want a BlueRay player but for not much more than a RoKu, why not?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm a Leonardo diCaprio hater. He has landed some good roles but I think he is a poor actor. Besides, this movie won't have chicks in leather with swords or guns & ammo. What's the point?
:lol: I'm not a fan but it's interesting to see him in different roles. That's 2 in a row that I've seen in these movies that really mess with your mind.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm a Leonardo diCaprio hater. He has landed some good roles but I think he is a poor actor. Besides, this movie won't have chicks in leather with swords or guns & ammo. What's the point?
I used to be a hater. But his last half dozen or so movies have been absolute gold and I am now looking forward to seeing more from him. Inception, Shutter Island, Blood Diamond, Revolutionary Road, Body of Lies, The Departed. All exceptional movies. All staring DiCaprio. All quality acting. He got big with chick flick girlie movies but he has been on a tear lately with quality flicks. Probably one of the hottest actors in Hollywood in terms of consecutive great films without a dud.