• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

keyser soze

Not sure if they've been mentioned before, but Netflix originals Peaky Blinders and The Fall are fantastic.

legalskier

"Shadow of the Vampire"
starring John Malkovich, Willem Dafoe, Cary Elwes, Udo Kier.

Creepy fictional retelling about the making of "Nosferatu" in 1922 by legendary director F.W. Murnau.
"f you like your horror thoughtful and provoking, this is your movie." -rottentomatoes

BackLoafRiver

Sons of Anarchy - season 3. Great show. I was apprehensive but it's been a blast so far (and I hear it gets better)

Chef - Jon Favreau movie about...well...a chef. I enjoyed it more than I was expecting. A great cast to boot. (Dustin Hoffman has a great role and Robert Downey Jr. has a cameo that is excellent). In an interview, Favreau said that he made it "for him". Really worth it.

legalskier

"Force Majeure"

This got a lot of attention at Cannes and mostly very good reviews, but I just couldn't get into it. On the first day of a 5 day ski trip in Europe a family encounters what appears to be a life threatening situation, and the movie spends the rest of its 2 hour running time examining the way the husband reacted to it. The cinematography was top notch (especially the mountain shots at night), as was the acting, but the story just ground on interminably, and it was difficult for me to believe the premise to begin with.

"For a comedy about emotional pain, this is neither discomforting nor terribly funny, and the satire of bourgeois complacency doesn't cut very deep." -Chicago Reader

xwhaler

Watched 2 very good movies in the last week----both highly recommended
Gone Girl
Foxcatcher

Edd

This description of the latest Transformers film on Netflix had me laughing. If you can't say something nice, I guess, say something factual.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1434432549.197053.jpg

Edd

Chelsea Does.... Great new show on Netflix! Some smart stuff. I always liked her because, you know, big boobs, and she's a drinker. However, I think this'll surprise a lot of people. Also, beautifully shot.

skiNEwhere

"We need to talk about Kevin"

It's about a mother dealing with her life after her son does something horrific. Flashes back and forth between the past and the present. Kind of a depressing, but good movie. Definitely one of those movies you only watch once.

If I had once complaint, it's that I wish the movie was told from Kevin's perspective instead of the mom's, so we could try and figure out why he acted the way he did.

soposkier

Watched Beasts of No Nation yesterday, very good, worthy of all the praise

BackLoafRiver

Currently watching "A drummers dream". Documentary about a summer camp for drummers featuring some of the worlds best stars.

My mind is literally blown. Mike Mangini is a god.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Scruffy

Currently watching "A drummers dream". Documentary about a summer camp for drummers featuring some of the worlds best stars.

My mind is literally blown. Mike Mangini is a god.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

+1 .. watched this on your recommendation !!! As an ex-drummer, yeah, loved it!

If you've ever even tapped out a rhythm on our desk or a can or something, you gotta watch this.

Edd

Not Netflix, but I watched The Revenant on Amazon yesterday. Maybe due to low expectations, I was blown away at the cinematography and directing. It just got better and better as it went. I could go on all day about the visuals; maybe the most beautiful film I've seen.

HD333

Tom Petty - Running Down a Dream. 4hr documentary. Well worth the time if you are a Petty fan or not.
I broke it up into 2 segments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornhead

Not Netflix, but I saw a cool documentary on Sound City studio in LA. I think it was on VH1 Classics. Dave Grohl produced it. He bought the Neve board when the studio closed and put it in his studio he built at his house. Digital recording killed the studio. Many major artist in the piece, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Paul McCartney, etc.

Scruffy

Tom Petty - Running Down a Dream. 4hr documentary. Well worth the time if you are a Petty fan or not.
I broke it up into 2 segments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree. I saw it a few weeks ago. Great stuff. It's worth viewing even if you're only a passing Petty fan. They mention other artists, producers, et al of the same period. It really showcases how talented he was and still is and how hard he worked to make it and keep it.