• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
:lol: I'm not a fan but it's interesting to see him in different roles. That's 2 in a row that I've seen in these movies that really mess with your mind.
I wouldn't say either Shutter Island nor Inception were "mess with your mind" movies. Inception was pretty damn transparent with what was going on. Shutter Island was just plain obvious pretty much from the get go.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I wouldn't say either Shutter Island nor Inception were "mess with your mind" movies. Inception was pretty damn transparent with what was going on. Shutter Island was just plain obvious pretty much from the get go.
They both could have gone a few ways... At least, that was my humble opinion during the viewing of those films.

Bumpsis

question on Netflix streaming to Wii

Those of you who get good results with this method, what's your internet connection?

I connect to Netflix through my Wii OK, but it takes forever to load up the film and then every 5 minutes or less, it stops to buffer some more.

I suspect that by broadband connection just is not up to the task, or perhaps my modem signal is too weak - the modem is upstairs and tv/Wii downstairs.

When I choose to watch a movie on my computer (connected through wire to my modem), it's working OK - mostly.

Last Netflix movie seen - Last King of Scotland. Rather dark, but a great movie.

Geoff

Those of you who get good results with this method, what's your internet connection?

I connect to Netflix through my Wii OK, but it takes forever to load up the film and then every 5 minutes or less, it stops to buffer some more.

I suspect that by broadband connection just is not up to the task, or perhaps my modem signal is too weak - the modem is upstairs and tv/Wii downstairs.

When I choose to watch a movie on my computer (connected through wire to my modem), it's working OK - mostly.

Last Netflix movie seen - Last King of Scotland. Rather dark, but a great movie.

I have a Comcast cable modem. I run Cat5 Ethernet to my Panasonic Blu Ray player that streams Netflix. Maybe one out of 10 streaming movies glitches at some point during the movie. My most common problem is a "movie temporarily unavailable, try later" error. Netflix streams from Akami server farms. Those can get congested at peak viewing hours.

Streaming will usually work better over hard-wired Ethernet than over WiFi. Some home routers are prone to glitch once in a while. It's luck of the draw whether you have contention on your broadband network.

Edd

I'm fairly sure the Wii only does wireless internet. My Linksys router is only 6 feet or so from the Wii. Netflix through this method is close to flawless at my place.

My Asus netbook, however, struggles with Netflix. I've tried both wired and wireless with the same service / router that my Wii uses. I've completed full movies with no buffering issues but it"s had issues half the time.

My gateway desktop (wired) runs Netflix as well as the Wii.

Bumpsis

I'm fairly sure the Wii only does wireless internet. My Linksys router is only 6 feet or so from the Wii. Netflix through this method is close to flawless at my place.

My Asus netbook, however, struggles with Netflix. I've tried both wired and wireless with the same service / router that my Wii uses. I've completed full movies with no buffering issues but it"s had issues half the time.

My gateway desktop (wired) runs Netflix as well as the Wii.

Perhaps it is then a weak signal due to the actual distance of my router from the Wii. When I take my laptop down to where the Wii is connected to the television, I'm running into low strenght signal on my laptop as well.

bvibert

Staff member
Perhaps it is then a weak signal due to the actual distance of my router from the Wii. When I take my laptop down to where the Wii is connected to the television, I'm running into low strenght signal on my laptop as well.

That's probably it. We have our Wii relatively close to our router (although it is on the other side of a brick facade wall) and we don't have the buffer problem unless someone else is using up the bandwidth for something else. We have ATT DSL capped at 3.0Mbps.

bvibert

Staff member
Comcast has removed all the rate limiters on the downstream. Most of the time, I see numbers like this:

Pretty good. I've definitely been tempted to switch to cable internet a few times. We almost switched a couple of months back, I forget what made us not switch. Our cable company still caps the download speed, but it's at 15Mbps (or 30Mbps if you want to pay more).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Pretty good. I've definitely been tempted to switch to cable internet a few times. We almost switched a couple of months back, I forget what made us not switch. Our cable company still caps the download speed, but it's at 15Mbps (or 30Mbps if you want to pay more).
Because Cablevision's site has some BS on it saying that whatever deal they had for internet wasn't available at our house....

Geoff

I really should be eating my own cooking. I'm running an Arris MTA here (DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem + telephone). I should be running our Dory product that's a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem + telephone + WiFi. The field soak is in Boston so I should be able to run it. I imagine I can get DOCSIS 3.0 as well. 80 megabit downstream would be pretty good bragging rights.

ctenidae

Currently have the BluRay connected to teh wireless router, which actually gets a lot of pauses. Had a really bad problem with audio sync until I did a software update. Wireless is ont eh other side of the room (20 feet, maybe) form the TV, but signal strength varies dramatically. So, we're going to move stuff around and hardwire ethernet between the office/modem and the living room/TV

gmcunni

got my netflix DVD for wii today. unfortunately the wii is hooked up for standard def only and the video looked like crap. tried the xbox (my son has xbox live gold account, which is required) and that is hooked up for high def, video looked great. Jake said we could use is account for videos as long as we asked first :roll:

legalskier

North Face (Nordwand)

From rottentomatoes: "Very likely the best movie ever made about mountain climbing, with some barbed commentary on life under Nazism." (It's set in 1936 during the run up to the Berlin Olympics.)
"This white-knuckle adventure is a literal and metaphoric cliff-hanger that gets a spectacular foothold on an unforgiving mountain." German subtitles.

North_Face_magnum.jpg

Last edited: