• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

Geoff

I streamed Limitless last night. It held my interest all the way through. Most recent release date Netflix streaming movies are dogs.

Hugo was really good for a PG kid movie.

RobynV

Watched "I melt with you" last night. Really sort of pointless...set to music the entire time which was sort of distracting and made it tough to hear the dialogue. Good cast but a general waste of time and sad.

Geoff

I tried watching my Netflix copy of The Tree of Life on the airplane tonight. I ejected it after about 30 minutes and watched the Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez Grind House movies instead.

The Tree of Life was missing the critical elements of a good movie.... chicks in leather with swords or guns & ammo. I'm way too superficial to watch something like that.

legalskier

The Next Three Days

Despite strong performances by Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson & Brian Dennehy, and some detailed instructions re: how to escape from prison, I couldn't suspend my disbelief to overcome a seriously implausible story line.

ctenidae

Despite strong performances by Russell Crowe, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson & Brian Dennehy, and some detailed instructions re: how to escape from prison, I couldn't suspend my disbelief to overcome a seriously implausible story line.

Agreed- got about 30 minutes into it and realized I just wasn't going to buy it. I wanted to, really I did.

Edd

Does this movie not have a title? Because if they didn't even name it that's just super annoying.

speden

Watched a good western from 1939 last night called "Destry Rides Again". I like Jimmy Stewart and Marlene Dietrich, and they didn't disappoint in this one.

Interesting combo with Stewart's boy scout persona and Dietrich's sultry bad girl style. Nice blend of comedy, bar fights, and a good plot.

legalskier

Does this movie not have a title? Because if they didn't even name it that's just super annoying.

Um yes..."The Next Three Days" (see post #544).

On Geoff's recommendation I watched "Winnebago Man," a darkly funny documentary featuring "the angriest RV salesman on Youtube." Instead of devolving into a mockumentary, it allowed Jack Rebney to emerge with his dignity. Do yourself a kindness and check it out.
Here's some original footage on which it's based (NSFW language): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ds7OfXXi-c

Meanwhile, I noticed this trailer on the right side of the screen-

I knew they were leaving all the cool stuff out of the history books.

Geoff

In Time was watchable. I was really bummed that they killed off Olivia Wilde early in the movie. The bad guys and evil rich vs downtrodden poor were a little too cliche/comic book-y. Nobody ages beyond age 25 so all the women in the movie were great eye candy. I was entertained.

legalskier

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

If you like fast paced shoot-em-up pyrotechnic spy vs. spy thrillers, Tinker Tailor won’t be your cup of tea. But if you’re like me and relish an intelligent, well-acted, suspenseful window into Cold War espionage, then by all means dive in. Gary Oldman plays British intelligence official George Smiley, who is brought back to investigate whether his former agency, MI-6, has been penetrated by a Soviet mole. Oldman does an excellent job reprising a role that was owned by Sir Alec Guinness in the original 7 hour tv version back in the 70s, of which I was a big fan. The rest of the cast is top rate: John Hurt, Colin Firth, Mark Strong, Ciaran Hinds, Toby Jones, Kathy Burke, and especially Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch (who currently plays a modern day “Sherlock” on Masterpiece Theatre). It’s as if the producers pulled out all the casting stops because they knew they’d be judged against the original. The story evolves slowly and subtly, but inexorably, as Smiley peels back layers of an onion that’s rotten at its core. One of the few movies I’ll be watching again.

benedict-cumberbatch-and-gary-oldman-looking-for-the-vital-clue.jpg

Cumberbatch and Oldman, ready to whack-a-mole

Edd

Most people don't read post titles. Took me a second look before I saw it myself.

Hmm.. Still don't see it. They must not display on Tapatalk. Good to know.

I finally watched Tree of Life. Well, most of it. Beautifully shot which kept me going for awhile but the narrative style was just brutal on my attention span. The GF and I couldn't finish it. I can't recommend this film.

Geoff

I finally watched Tree of Life. Well, most of it. Beautifully shot which kept me going for awhile but the narrative style was just brutal on my attention span. The GF and I couldn't finish it. I can't recommend this film.

I don't think I lasted 30 minutes. I expect a movie to be entertaining.

ScottySkis

Mission Impossible 3 Ghost Protocol, great movie, tom cruise and the whole cia agent's wad as good as it gets, i wad expecting to like it but surprised me. Highly recommended it just about 2 hours long, but the time roy's by, and stuff they did to trick the bad guys was sweet.

bvibert

Staff member
We recently dumped cable altogether in favor of Netflix, we're also doing a trial of Hulu Plus, and my wife got Amazon Prime. After we cancelled cable I found out that we actually get really good reception on a couple of over the air channels using a cheap digital antenna.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just watched King of Kong. Incredible documentary! It starts slow and quirky as the film introduces everyone. But things just get very bizarre with some of the people (I almost typed "characters" -- it is hard to believe this isn't fiction sometimes!) involved and the drama that gets setup is truly stranger than fiction. Interesting reading the Wikipedia entry for this flick after having watched it as some editing was handled in a certain way and some facts were left out to have a clear protagonist but that still doesn't detract from the way some of the people involved behaved. I'm no classic arcade geek nor do I play video games at all any more so you don't need to be an old school classic gamer to appreciate this wicked slice of reality.

legalskier

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will leave its mark on you. Dark, brutal and intriguing, this version is as troubling and memorable as its Swedish counterpart. Its disturbing tone begins in the opening credits and continues to the last frame. -rottentomatoes
Starring James Craig, Rooney Mara, Stellan Skarsgard and Christopher Plummer.

Recommended- just don't watch it with your kids.

xwhaler

Act of Valor---good movie and really makes you appreciate what the Navy Seals go through both in battle and on the home front.