• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Latest Netflix Selection?

Edd

Finished season 4 of The Wire last night (Amazon Prime). It was the best yet. One season left. The show's reputation is so good I really should be experiencing a letdown but it is every bit as fantastic as I've heard.

HD333

Can someone explain to me what I need to stream Netfix on my TV's?

Here is our set up.

1) Wii in the kids play room, which we downloaded Netfix on, I understand I can stream on this.
2) Non Smart TV's in Family Room and our bedroom, which we would want to be able to watch Netflix on.
3) Kindle Fire's for the kids
4) non Smart TV up at ski condo

Do I need to get a Roku or similar device for each non smart TV we want to watch Netflix on? Or are they interchangeable?

I like to think I am somewhat tech savvy but for some reason this streaming Netflix has me all messed up.

wa-loaf

1) Wii in the kids play room, which we downloaded Netfix on, I understand I can stream on this.
Looks like you are set here?

2) Non Smart TV's in Family Room and our bedroom, which we would want to be able to watch Netflix on.
I have a Sony BluRay player that streams Netflix. Amazon, etc ... But you may want something like Chromecast: http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/#cc-promo

My kids have Kindles with the Netflix App, Netflix allows you to set up multiple profiles for kids so the kid movies don't mess up your recommendations.

Need another streaming device, Wifi DVD player, Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast, etc ...

Edd

Do I need to get a Roku or similar device for each non smart TV we want to watch Netflix on? Or are they interchangeable?

Wa-Loaf covered most of your post but in regard to this question....if you're asking if you can move a device like a Roku physically between TVs (like between home and ski condo) then the answer is yes. This would most effortlessly be accomplished by using a small, pocketable, streaming stick like the Chromecast he mentioned. Roku also sells a stick.

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like you are set here?

I have a Sony BluRay player that streams Netflix. Amazon, etc ... But you may want something like Chromecast: http://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/#cc-promo

My kids have Kindles with the Netflix App, Netflix allows you to set up multiple profiles for kids so the kid movies don't mess up your recommendations.

Need another streaming device, Wifi DVD player, Apple TV, Roku, Google Chromecast, etc ...

Chromecast will work, but it requires you to control it with a tablet, smart phone, or laptop, so it might not be for everyone. We also use a Sony BluRay player to stream Netflix and Amazon Prime. We almost never use the BLuRay player part of it. We're also setup to stream on our PS3. If you don't want to buy more than one device you can move it from your house to your ski condo, though that might get old after a while.

There's not really much too it, you select a streaming device, connect it to the internet (WiFi or Ethernet), sign into Netflix, watch TV and movies.

One thing to note about letting the kids use the app on their devices is that Netflix limits the number of devices that can stream at one time, depending on which plan you're on. I believe the lowest plan is 1 device, the middle is 2, and the most expensive is 4. So, you might run into issues if too many people are trying to watch at the same time.

Geoff

The only thing I've streamed in the last month is Sharknado. That's my new favorite B movie. It's so bad that it's great.

Tin

The GF and I have been on a West Wing kick. I was waiting for a nice Robin Williams selection but all I've seen is Good Morning Vietnam, wish they had Dead Poets Society. Next up we are watching Apocalypse Now as soon as she is done with the book.

soposkier

Wa-Loaf covered most of your post but in regard to this question....if you're asking if you can move a device like a Roku physically between TVs (like between home and ski condo) then the answer is yes. This would most effortlessly be accomplished by using a small, pocketable, streaming stick like the Chromecast he mentioned. Roku also sells a stick.

I have both the roku stick and chromecast. While they are both can be very easily changed from one tv to another, the Roku does have a much longer reboot cycle each time it gets turned on and off. The chromecast I have plugged into the USB as its power supply, but the roku i plug into an outlet so I dont have to wait for it to turn on every time I turn the tv on/off. Also, the roku does not support HBO Go and the chromecast does not support Amazon Prime.

Edd

All is Lost with Robert Redford. A nearly wordless film about a dude on a boat that springs a leak. His character never even gets a name. A well crafted movie.

And Redford is a big skier so there's that.

ScottySkis

Not Netflix time Warner. Watched 22 jump street last night very funny one of the better 2 movie sequal for sure with 420 more movie s coming for lots more days to come.

Edd

In A World on Netflix streaming. Really like it. Also, Living Tiny, on Netflix streaming, about people who live in micro-houses. Interesting stuff. I am very much about living with a minimal amount of possessions but these guys are next level.

ScottySkis

Went to FYI big store in Middletown closing 30% off bowling Alley rumor coming in

Watching Ain't in for my Health too ha must see

Dmiller27

Check out the Netflix Original Series. Marco Polo. It is really good. There is a lot of nudity, for anyone with kids.

Edd

Locke, with Tom Hardy. The whole film is him on a drive talking to other characters on the phone. Way better than it sounds. Good movie.

I also started watching Black Mirror, a British series. Each episode is a self contained story, Twilight Zone style. First episode really grabs you.

Both of these are on Netflix streaming.

soposkier

Snowpiercer. Enjoyed it a lot. Thought it was going to be just an action movie but turned out to be a lot more.

Kerovick

I second this. Just finished it yesterday. Lot of nudity. nothing raunchy really though/

Edd

MASH (series) is on Netflix steaming. It looks pretty damn good in HD. Nice to watch commercial free.