• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What lurks in the back of your fridge

2knees

so i was cleaning out the fridge last night, waaaay overdue on that task. in the back of one of the bottom drawers where we keep the veggies was a plastic tupperware container. against my better judgement, i opened it. i'm really not sure what it was originally, some kind of porkchop would be my best guess. I really should've taken a picture of this thing. It was morphing into quite the science project.

hammer

so i was cleaning out the fridge last night, waaaay overdue on that task. in the back of one of the bottom drawers where we keep the veggies was a plastic tupperware container. against my better judgement, i opened it. i'm really not sure what it was originally, some kind of porkchop would be my best guess. I really should've taken a picture of this thing. It was morphing into quite the science project.
My spouse is real good about purging the fridge each week on trash day, so I'm not usually worried about home...the fridge at work, however, usually has several science projects going on at the same time...

Grassi21

Ahhh, the weekly purge. I always find bits of onion, peppers, mushrooms or whatever was left over from a meal I prepared. I stick the left over ingredient in a baggie and toss it in the fridge for future use. Most times, this stuff never gets used and degenerates into a soupy mess.

Speaking of pork chops... we had some friends over for dinner. I made a couple of extra chops. I didn't want the dogs to get at them while we were eating so I stuffed the pan with the chops back into the cold oven so I can wrap them after dinner.... well, I found those chops a week later..... yuck....

hammer

Speaking of pork chops... we had some friends over for dinner. I made a couple of extra chops. I didn't want the dogs to get at them while we were eating so I stuffed the pan with the chops back into the cold oven so I can wrap them after dinner.... well, I found those chops a week later..... yuck....
Speaking of pork...has anyone been having problems getting bad pre-packged pork?

Seems the last several times I've tried to get ribs, if they come packaged they are bad when I open them. :blink::puke:

This has happened with pork loin as well. I only buy pork now if it's been wrapped in the supermarket...

lots of empty 6-pack containers..I reall just have some condiments in my fridge..I eat out or do take out 80% of the time..

Grassi21

Usually steak, salmon and nachos??? Sometimes stirfrys. A typical trip to the grocery store for me is about $18

my culinary repetoire is pretty deep. but one of my favorite things to make is nachos on a sunday afternoon while watching football. chicken, ground beef, steak, pork, black beans, refried beans, black olives, green onion, salsa, sour cream, guac.... i've used them all at one point in time.

ctenidae

Speaking of pork...has anyone been having problems getting bad pre-packged pork?

Seems the last several times I've tried to get ribs, if they come packaged they are bad when I open them. :blink::puke:

This has happened with pork loin as well. I only buy pork now if it's been wrapped in the supermarket...

I've had that problem with the package pork to. Strangely, the stuff the sotre wraps is the same as comes in the package, but it doesn't get that funky smell. I don't know why. But, I don't buy the packed ribs anymore, even when they're a bargain.

As for my fridge, there's mostly a boatload of milk cartons with only 1-2 servings out, and the rest slowly turning to cheese. The only things I buy at teh gorcery store anymore are mac and cheese and coffee creamer- I eat probably 9 of 10 meals a week at work.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Farking.... seven or eight cans of busch that my idiot friend brought and left there. I'd rather eat a science project in some cases that drink that chit.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I typically only buy whole loins, roughly once a month and butcher my own chops and use the scrap for burrito meat or to make sausage. Never really had an issue. Most whole loins, butts etc are going to have at least three weeks shelf life on, even up to 40 days or so. Beef same thing, buy a whole Rib eye once a month or so, butcher out my steaks and grind the scrap.

After years of working in restaurants, I'm pretty diligent about purging the fridge often. I rarely have to throw out much though as I'm always making something or other for J and I or our extended family. If anything is marginally close to being bad....when in doubt, throw it out is my feeling.

skibum9995

Nothing lasts more than a day or two in my fridge. I eat a lot and I'l eat pretty much anything so that keeps anything from getting nasty.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
when I was 8YO I put a snowball in the freezer. I planned to sock my best friend with it later. In June, I went back for it. Gone. I accused my mother. But then I learned the magic of evaporation....

At my old apartment, my fridge had several cans of frozen beer. I used to drink the 10-ounce cans of Budweiser alot and to cool them down, I'd put them in the freezer..well I passed out a few times oh well. Now I pretty much only buy Long Trail Blackberry wheat..it's only for sale by the case and it's at room temperature...so I usually put the first 6-pack of it in the freezer for 30 minutes to cool it down but I don't let myself lie on my couch..

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
left a six pack of soda in my trunk when skiing at Stowe on one very cold day. Opening the trunk I found frozen soda sprayed all over top of the trunk. The cans were so displaced it looked like they launched.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I shudder to think what's in my fridge and rotting right now. :puke: I tend to purge every 2 weeks or so when filling up with new groceries, but that's only the stuff that I can get at easily: I'm sure there are forgotten things in the back of the fridge and I don't want to think about it.

drjeff

Most of the stuff in the back of my fridge tends to be the weird/random stuff that my mother in-law brings when she comes over. Things like pickled herring, really funky jellies and random cured meats that I wouldn't even consider eating if it was fresh and grilled :eek: :puke:

Most of the day to day stuff gets consumed before it has the chance to become some sort of random science experiment, although every now and then something will go into "hiding" and get a bit funky :eek: