• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summit Flag Raisings on 9-11

lftgly

Apparently this has become quite a tradition. Here in Franconia Notch, on Cannon Cliffs, a local group graced the Old Man with a flag on the first anniversary of 9-11-2001.

On 9-11 this year, a spectacular day to be above treeline, we hiked Ammonoosuc Ravine to Lakes, then Mt. Monroe Loop over the summit, to the Crawford Path along Franklin, and down Edmands Path.

We found these folks raising not one, but two flags on the Monroe summit.

modules.php

modules.php

To the south on Mt. Eisenhower, another group raised a flag. Eisenhower was too far away from us to get a photo. As we hiked south on the Crawford Path, and got closer, they took the flag down around 3PM. We crossed paths with some of the Eisenhower group hiking down Edmands; I think they were from Cambridge, MA.

Does anyone have photos of the flag on the Eisenhower summit, or from Franconia this year?

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
lftgly said:
Thanks, Dave & Greg, for enlightening the clueless. That FOT48 site is quite an eye opener.
Now that you know, sign up next year and join in! The more interest there is, the longer the tradition will last. I participated in 2003 and 2004, but couldn't this year due to work obligatons. :cry:

Smitty

Greg

Staff member
lftgly said:
Thanks, Dave & Greg, for enlightening the clueless. That FOT48 site is quite an eye opener.
You should submit your pics to the Monroe album.

MtnMagic

It is very rewarding to participate in this annual event and to discuss the activities of the day with new & old friends afterwards. Looking forward to the Flags planning weekend in May and the event next year.

The more the merrier!
:D

SilentCal

It's great to hear comments and Thank you's from other hikers. Alpinezone was the first home of the Flags event. my my we have grown! Thanks Greg for having us those first years!

Greg

Staff member
SilentCal said:
Thanks Greg for having us those first years!
:beer:

Indeed this memorial has certainly come into its own the past few years. Nice job, guys. This year's pics are incredible.

Max

I'm sorry that I missed it this year. After 3 years in a row, I had to break the streak due to some knee pain from running. Next year for sure!!