• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ member Opening Day predictions

Greg

Staff member
Just for fun. Who do you think will open first and when? I'm going to be optimistic and go with Woodbury snow patch on November 3 followed by real skiing at Killington on the 4th. BW and Bellearye will follow on that Saturday.

bvibert

Staff member
Didn't we already have a topic on this a month ago or so?

I say Woodbury on Nov 4th with real skiing at K-mart on Nov 11th.

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Didn't we already have a topic on this a month ago or so?
We had an opening day thread, but this is an opening day prediction thread. Big difference... ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i don't think kmart will open before their scheduled day whether there is snow or not. nov 11th kmart. BW showed last season that they are not willing to truly compete with kmart. BW just doesn't blow enough snow to stay open longer than kmart, so i am sticking with kmart for longest season in the east. can't remember the last time this wasn't true (exluding canada for which i have no immediate knowledge).

my personal prediction for first turns remains october 23rd. big dump that day :D

Vortex

BW closed May 11th this year I believe. Killington was May 14.
I have to say there was a decent amount of snow on a couple of runs on May 13th at K not just Superstar.
Each year Bretton Woods seems to be going longer. I really think this may be the year they open and close the Season.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
RE: BW vs. kmart. when BW closed, they were barely holding on whereas kmart closed one week earlier than they could have as there was nearly top to bottom skiing on super the week after closing day. personally, i would love to see kmart get beat on both ends AND not have the longest season. it would likely send a message to the top dogs when another ski area claimed everyone of their bragging rights.

then again, they would just adjust the marketing hype somehow, such as now they are "first top to bottom resort" to open, etc. etc.

i actually picked BW to open first last year, fwiw.

Zand

Bretton Woods- Patch on November 4th, trail on 11th
Okemo- Thursday, November 10th
Killington, Sunday River, Sugarloaf- Friday, November 11th
Waterville, Loon- Saturday, November 12th
Jiminy- Sunday, November 13th
Stowe- Monday, November 14th
Stratton, Mt. Snow, Wildcat, Sugarbush- Saturday, November 19th
Gunstock, Ragged- Thursday, November 24th
Wachusett, Smuggs, Jay, Cranmore, Magic, Attitash, Cannon, Crotched, Ascutney, Bromley- Friday, November 25th
Berkshire East- Saturday, December 3rd
MRG- Monday, December 12th

Vortex

Agressive approach Zand alot of thought I like that. My buddy at Loon said Nov 19. for them. Waterville sometime does the top a little earlier. We will see. Yout right on on Bretton Woods. They probably will just do the beginner slope to get open. They let people ski for free on this last year until they have a real trail open.

Zand

Well, considering I threw 20+ resorts on there, I hope I get at least one right. I'm just kind of going on history, Farmer's Almanac fall predictions, and (for some of them) projected openings. Last year, Bretton was beaten by what, a day? I think they really want to pick up where Killington left off with early and late season. And Okemo probably wants a piece of K also.

JimG.

Staff member
My prediction:

The first opening will occur in mountainous terrain somewhere from NY north thru New England during the first sustained (3 days or more) stretch of time where daytime temps do not exceed 35 degrees.

Just kind of summarizing what everyone else said.