• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

An off trail campsite to remember

H

Hike'n Mike

Here are a couple of pictures of an off trail campsite I came upon. It was at the end of a long and exhausting day and I was beginning to wonder where I would spend the night. Because the area around the trail was all thick scrub and underbrush, I thought I would not find a suitable site.

The sun was no longer visible and I knew I better find a place soon. As I was going along, I noticed the slightest hint of a faint path through the brush. I dropped my pack and set off into the woods, trying to follow this path. I thought it may have been made by animals but after about 5 minutes I came to one of the nicest spots I have seen to set up camp.

I went back to the main trail for my pack and could just about make out the sound of running water. About 50 yards further down the trail I found a running brook to use as a water source. I have heard of Trail Angels on the AT, but on this night, I met up with one who was on a different path. :smile:

fe499ec7.jpg.orig.jpg

A place to sleep!

And in a separate area to the right...

fe499ec6.jpg.orig.jpg

A place to eat and enjoy a fire!