• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

USFS v. Owl's Head

Pinnah

Website
home.comcast.net
MtnMagic said:
Ok, I think I've got it! The 2005 forest service plan says no bridges or cairns because it isn't natural, but i.e., it's ok to leave a complete metal tower on Carter Dome lying around littering this mtn.

Unless I'm mistaken on this point, Carter Dome is not in a designated Wilderness Area. The capital letters are important. USFS Wilderness is a legally defined terms with specific landmanagement implications.

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Pinnah said:
Unless I'm mistaken on this point, Carter Dome is not in a designated Wilderness Area. The capital letters are important. USFS Wilderness is a legally defined terms with specific landmanagement implications.
You're not mistaken. The federal rules for Wilderness Areas vs regular forest areas are quite different. As far as I can tell, the FS is following the rules and regulations as written.

-dave-

Fat Guy

As far as ripping cairns down, IT'S JUST A PILE OF ROCKS. However cutting trees down to block a trail is a "man made structure" also. I guess that is what was done to the end of the Black Pond trail many years ago discourage people from keep going around the pond on their way to the Lincoln Brook trail, ironical on the way to Owl's Head.
Having said that, does ANYONE have or know of pictures in magazines or articals with the cairns in question shown or made referance to in publications dated pre-wilderness act. If some could be found those structures would then fall under the antiquities act and this discussion could be a whole new ball game. This could possibly include the trail up Owl's Head it self.