• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your source for news while online.

skijay

What website do you go to for the most up to date news (non political) such as storm coverage & current happenings?

I go to cnn.com, but it never seems to update as fast as events happen. I have, on my desk an XM receiver which I listen to Fox news, CNN and CNN Headline. The problem with these are they are basically the simulcast of what is on TV, so if they are showing pictures, you can not see them.

bvibert

Staff member
I get most of my news from the news links in My Yahoo. The AP and Rueters (sp) stories update throughout the day.

ctenidae

Google news, checked almost religiously.
Also scan Marketwatch.com regularly.

I find that CNN anad their ilk are awfully cluttered with garbage.

Greg

Staff member
ctenidae said:
Google news, checked almost religiously.
Woohoo! We're a Google News source!

FoxNews.com for me.

ctenidae

I have, on occasion, seen AZ articles on Google news. Usually on a search, though, as my front page is geared more towards world/business/politics

ctenidae

Did you edit the original, skijay? I must have missed the "non-political" and storm coverage but.

Storm coverage comes from NOAA.gov. Straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. Even though, apparently, you're not supposed to look there. If it's a gift, anyway.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
tjd said:
BBC seems to be neutral and to be much more thorough and concerned with news and not sensationalism.

UM... nevermind.

Drudge Report. He quick links to the advisories, track map, and images at the top of his page.

From there, I end up linking to everywhere, By the time I've viewed the articles on DR, I've been to Yahoo, Fox, CNN, NYT, Reuters, BBC to name a few.

Fox news, when I want to get a little more in-depth.

-Stephen

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I forgot to mention... does anyone else use BugMeNot? It's a firefox extension that will give you a username and password to any news site that requires free registration.

-Stephen

bvibert

Staff member
Stephen said:
I forgot to mention... does anyone else use BugMeNot? It's a firefox extension that will give you a username and password to any news site that requires free registration.

-Stephen
I've seen that one before, but forgot about it. I think I'll have to go DL it. Does it work well?

ctenidae

I avoid most news sites that require registration, simply because most of them regurgitate Reuters or AP reports, anyway.

I do like the BBC, though I find their interpretation of US events is sometimes colored by their location adn less-than-full appreciation of the US- for instance, their political commentary is often coloured by their view of British politics.

I've never liked Fox News, mostly becuase htey often seem very single-sourced and more subjective than objective. For subjectivity I'll usually go to the Washington Post or the NY Times (as, I suppose, expected from someone who doesn't like Fox).

Overall, I guess that's why I like Google News- with so many sources crammed in one place, it's a lot easier to get several viewpoints. Somewhere between them all is the truth.

bvibert

Staff member
I was just checking out Google News, it looks pretty good. The only thing I don't like is that I can't get local news through it. I tend to pay more attention to the local news stoies...

blacknblue

I guess it really depends what I'm looking for, although for general news updates (not expecting/looking for anything particular), I check abcnews.com . If there's a specific news event, like a hurricane, then I may choose others. Obviously the local news link stays pretty active too.

bvibert

Staff member
Greg, do you have the Forcastfox extension for Firefox? Its pretty slick, it gets its info from accuweather. I looked at it a lot last ski season to check out the weather for where ever I was heading skiing, since it allows you to easily switch between different locations....

Greg

Staff member
bvibert said:
Greg, do you have the Forcastfox extension for Firefox? Its pretty slick, it gets its info from accuweather. I looked at it a lot last ski season to check out the weather for where ever I was heading skiing, since it allows you to easily switch between different locations....
Got it now. Pretty cool! BTW, I started a new thread:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5599