• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Northern Lights: Tonight!

Greg

Staff member
It was very strong here in Watertown, CT between 6:45 and 7:30 PM tonight. I tried to take pictures with the digital but nothing came out. I confirmed with friends in Southern NH and family just outside the Cape and they saw it too. Other family members here in CT also saw it. Keep an eye to the sky tonight!!! It covered about 1/3 of the sky and the intensity shifted from the Northeast sky to the Northwest sky. It was very red higher in the sky with green closer to the horizon. There was also streams of golden and white light running North/South. Very impressive! Any other sightings?

R

RichC

From Poland, Maine. Really strong reds throughout most of this evenings display. At the peak (so far) most of the visible sky had lights shining. This is a good one.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Stupd $#@! bowling alley where I was stuck all evening. By the time I got out and home, apparently the display has retreated/finished. I was going to hop in my car, but various web sites show I'd have a long, long drive to see anything, and I have to be at work tomorrow.

AUUUGH!

Greg

Staff member
Bummer Michael. It was quite a sight and I'm fortunate to have the chance to see it. The local weather guy said it looks like it's done for the night (not sure how he knows that). :( The interesting thing about it is that once you see it, the more you want to see it again. Really pretty amazing.

So...what are the web sites that show you "have a long, long drive to see anything"? Do they include maps of where Aurora is visible?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Narf. I didn't bookmark it. But I googled around and clicked on links until I found a map that was showing a close-to-real-time auroral intensity. It showed that the various bands of visibility had retreated northward.

If I get a chance later today I"ll try to re-find the site.

Max

I can see right now I got to get me a day job! :D

The best display I ever saw was from Guyot shelter a number of years ago, with the sky turning pink and purple. It was right out of some 1950's sci-fi movie, really dramatic. Maybe I can sneak out of work tonite for a few minutes and check things out. I'm actually in a decent location on a hill top with very little outside lighting around. Is there a specific time when the display tends to peak?

Max

Greg

Staff member
Max said:
Is there a specific time when the display tends to peak?
I think it's pretty random. I've heard early morning is best, but shortly after dark is a good time too, as it was last night. Last night's display was very much like your description of your Guyot viewing. If we get it again tonight, I'm going to try my damnedest to get a few pics.

Max

Ahh, thanks for the hint Greg...I'm taking the camera to work as well. Now would be a good time to be camping out at a place like Garfield shelter and scrambling to the summit to see the display!

Greg

Staff member
Also, take a look at the animation:

http://sec.noaa.gov/pmap/AnimateN.html

Notice how the bulk of the activity is opposite the noon meridian and how the activity pulses. It seems like it'll be strongest between 6 PM and midnight. I wonder if that pulsing is due to when the satellite passes. Anyway, the Normalization factor is at 1.14 (under 2 indicates a reasonable level of confidence in the estimate of power) so this bears watching throughout the late afternoon.