• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

As if things with gas prices could not get any worst...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
not seeing any long term impacts on the economy unless production was taken off line for a substantial amount of time. another spike likely, i can see that. but it would take a mighty blow indeed to off line most of the texas oil production for an extended amount of time long enough to impact the economy.

i think this may be a case of people wanting to be the "i told you so" source after all the unheaded warnings regarding new orleans facing a major huricane.

here's hoping for the best, i am sure that area has faced off with huricanes before and knows how to handle them.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
hey, look at who hasn't been paying attention to the news! yup, that would be me. just noticed the cat 5 alert and wind speeds :eek: maybe that article wasn't hyping this thing in reaction to katrina after all. i think i'll fill er' up tomorrow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My girlfriend lives in San Diego and part of her birthday present was getting her a plane ticket out to see me in November over Thanksgiving weekend. After Katrina the price immediately jumped from $325 to $450 - so I held off and in the past couple of weeks they dropped back down. As soon as I saw the hurricane projections yesterday, I immediately purchased a ticket and was able to pick oneup for $327. I wonder what the price will be this time next week.

Another thing I'm curious about is that if the $5 projections are right concerning Rita - will we see $7 a gallon prices in cities like Atlanta. After Katrina, the prices in Atlanta jumped to $5 - wonder what it will go to now.

thetrailboss

Staff member
At least my car gets 38 mpg and our other one is averaging about 33 mpg.

This will force people to seriously, seriously consider other alternatives.

hammer

thetrailboss said:

I for one hope telecommuting becomes more of an option...saves on gas and time.

Paul

hammer said:
thetrailboss said:

I for one hope telecommuting becomes more of an option...saves on gas and time.

Same here, I actually tend to be more productive at home, and there really is very little reason for me to be in the orifice at all, when my entire job can be done online...

blacknblue

thetrailboss said:

Let's certainly hope so. It's a shame that it takes something catastrophic for the average American to realize this. :-? It's also a shame that if Americans do search for more efficient, environmentally friends means of transportation, it's more due to finances than to a genuine care for our environment.
I'm sympathetic to the oil industry to the degree that if consumer behavior doesn't change, why should the supplier behavior? (And I'm NOT a fan of the oil industry, BTW. Just saying.)
Here's to spending more on chain lube for the bike than on gas for the car. :beer:

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
If gas prices jump to $5, I'm thinking the company might tell me to stay home a day or two per week, or put me up in a hotel across the street from the plant for a night or two. I'm already spending $180/week on gas. If this spike comes, I think we've seen the last of $2.49 gas for good. When prices jump, they never seem to drop back to their previous levels.

Smitty

skijay

Doesn't this affect the prices on an asphalt job? (materials)