• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What other sport....

dmc

I listen to music while skiing/boarding, running and sometimes mountain biking...

smootharc

Brettski said:
....Do you listen to music too? Tried once skiing. Totally distracts from the experience.

Depends on the day. Powder, trees, steeps - hard charging with concentration at full bore needed.....no tunes.

Chillin' on some cruisers, or popping laps on my local hill which I can do eyes closed, well, my giro Nine.9 does the trick with my i-Pod shuffle. Absolutely sweet, and a hell of an improvement over my yellow Sports Walkman of circa 1986, which I thought was small and great at that time....

Love tunes !

Same said for Mountain Biking....depends on the day and terrain.

ctenidae

I don't. I can't even stand having headphones on the T. I feel like it isolates me from what's going on around me. I really only listen to any music at all while cooking or driving (and only when I'm in the zone on the highway). But that's just me.

dmc

smootharc said:
my giro Nine.9 does the trick with my i-Pod shuffle. Absolutely sweet, and a hell of an improvement over my yellow Sports Walkman of circa 1986, which I thought was small and great at that time....

The Giro helmet is great for tunes...
It has the cool volume control AND since the headphone isn't actually in your ear you can still hear when people are taling to you...

FRITOLAYGUY

Hey brett now that bluetooth has come out i feel i will be able to get more work done while skiing, no wires, put it under an earmuff, nobody will even know im working until they see me talking to myself.

Mark D

i lessing when im attacting the park. Laast year i tryed on a nastar run and it acculy inproved my time by like 3 secones ( of corse teh time with the ipod i didn't fall so maybe thats why)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I listen when I'm at Wa by myself and just cruisin.

If I'm with other people I'll leave the Zen at home.

I've never listened to music mtb'ing though. I'd be too afriad to fall on whatever I'm using for a player.

skijay

I do when mountain biking on a rail trail. Never while downhill biking or on the XC trails.

Also when jogging. I have one of the Sony Sports armband Walkman (circa 2000). It has a decent digital tuner and does receive good reception. It is great on the rail trails.

However, I may replace it with a new device. I like the Ipod concept but may go with a Delphi MyFi. I already have 3 XM receivers (car & home) with a monthly bill of $28.55 (with tax)!

Greg

Staff member
Moving to Miscellaneous...

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
I've listened when hiking, but I find the wires get in the way.

I bought ear protection when using the lawn tractor or the gas trimmer. It has a built-in radio as well. Best invention ever made. It's right up there with earmuffs with built-in headphones (to use while snowblowing).

-Stephen

skijay

Does anybody have an MP3 player with an FM tuner or know of a decent one? I want something durable, sport friendly and use a replaceable battery and not something you need your PC via USB to charge the battery.

I am looking at 512mb or higher. Just do not say the $68.44 Siren from Wal-Mart. I bought it and it is going back, the FM tuner is to weak, there is no belt clip or armband option. It has to small holes where it looks like you could attach a neck strap of some sort.

dmc

skijay said:
Does anybody have an MP3 player with an FM tuner or know of a decent one? I want something durable, sport friendly and use a replaceable battery and not something you need your PC via USB to charge the battery.

I have a Rio Chiba...
Uses SD cards... Has AM/FM...

When I'm camping a Tucks in the shelters - I usually wake up early and listen to NPR in my sleeping bag waiting for everyone to get up...

skijay

Thanks DMC. I went to Rio's site and it looks like the Chiba is not made any more, but the Forge looks like what I am looking for.

I also like that it is the "Windows Play for Sure".

Does anybody know if you have your music library on Windows Media if you can export it to Itunes? Two people told me that they are not compatible. They both own Ipods.

dmc

skijay said:
Thanks DMC. I went to Rio's site and it looks like the Chiba is not made any more, but the Forge looks like what I am looking for.

I also like that it is the "Windows Play for Sure".

Does anybody know if you have your music library on Windows Media if you can export it to Itunes? Two people told me that they are not compatible. They both own Ipods.

My RIO plays MP3,WMD even WAV

skijay

DMC...Thanks again, I did find the Chiba and Cali sport on clearance at Wal-Mart. I went with the Cali. I liked the design better. FM tuner is on par with my Sony walkman.

I have a question for any of you who move music to your "device" (non Ipod). I have purchased songs and loaded from my CD into the Window Media player library. I just drag the songs I want to sync up to the Rio and let it download to the Rio. One song I purchased at Wal-Mart will not go to the Rio. It is the same WMA format as any other song. It is only 3.5mb.

For some reason I get "download unexecutable" or some type of message like that for this song. I looked at the license agreement for the song, and it looks like any other, no issues.

Any suggestions how to get it to work?

skibum1321

I like to concentrate on the skiing and take in the views. I don't like to listen to music when I'm skiing and definitely not when I'm biking. It also makes you far less aware of your surroundings which is definitely an important aspect to both sports.

dmc

skibum1321 said:
I like to concentrate on the skiing and take in the views. I don't like to listen to music when I'm skiing and definitely not when I'm biking. It also makes you far less aware of your surroundings which is definitely an important aspect to both sports.

Somehow I managed to be visually aware of my surroundings while boarding/skiing/biking with a walkman blasting Grateful Dead or Beastie Boys..
And have yet to have any issues with it...

The only time I don't use it is when I'm in a place where communication is important.. Like during a tricky descent or during a climg on dangerous terrain..

dmc

skijay said:
DMC...Thanks again, I did find the Chiba and Cali sport on clearance at Wal-Mart. I went with the Cali. I liked the design better. FM tuner is on par with my Sony walkman.

I have a question for any of you who move music to your "device" (non Ipod). I have purchased songs and loaded from my CD into the Window Media player library. I just drag the songs I want to sync up to the Rio and let it download to the Rio. One song I purchased at Wal-Mart will not go to the Rio. It is the same WMA format as any other song. It is only 3.5mb.

For some reason I get "download unexecutable" or some type of message like that for this song. I looked at the license agreement for the song, and it looks like any other, no issues.

Any suggestions how to get it to work?

Not sure whats causing that...
I use Napster as my music client - it recognizes my MP3 player and I can just copy tunes right to it using Napster..
I just downloaded a new version of Napster that will convert the WAVs and WMDs into a smaller MP3 format to fit more on the player