• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bindings for mogul skis

o3jeff

Another question. I've read about people mounting the binding a few cm in front of the center of boot sole mark on the ski. What determines this, the manufacturer of the ski? The skier? Does it really help any?

mondeo

Another question. I've read about people mounting the binding a few cm in front of the center of boot sole mark on the ski. What determines this, the manufacturer of the ski? The skier? Does it really help any?
Some skis are marked differently than others, some of it comes down to personal preference. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, not sure how you figure out what you want without several pairs of identical skis mounted slightly differently.

Greg

Staff member
Some skis are marked differently than others, some of it comes down to personal preference. Not sure how much of a difference it makes, not sure how you figure out what you want without several pairs of identical skis mounted slightly differently.

Agreed. I went with +1cm on the Cabrawlers because that seemed to be the consensus. Does it make any difference? I have no way to know since I never skied them mounted on the line. Also, it probably varies from skier to skier based on how long their BSL is.

Trekchick

Sometimes when I have skis mounted, I base it on measured contact length, not the factory marking.
However, on my F17's I had them mounted +2 from factory mark.

o3jeff

Thanks for all the info. I think for now I am just going to keep telling myself I don't need them unless I see them for real cheap.

I do feel comfortable on my Elans for now and having never skied bump skis I don't know if they will help or not at where I am at ability wise.

tekweezle

what's the difference between a dedicated bump ski and say, a skinny GS race ski? I've heard some racer types say that their race skis work well in the bumps.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for all the info. I think for now I am just going to keep telling myself I don't need them unless I see them for real cheap.

I do feel comfortable on my Elans for now and having never skied bump skis I don't know if they will help or not at where I am at ability wise.

Probably a reasonable approach. If you're questioning whether you need them or not, you probably don't. Doesn't seem like the Elans are holding you back at all. Stick with what's working for now.

Trekchick

what's the difference between a dedicated bump ski and say, a skinny GS race ski? I've heard some racer types say that their race skis work well in the bumps.
Race skis are decent in Bumps(Hart's F17 is of that caliber) but they are a bit stiffer than a Bump specific ski.
The idea is that you don't want a stiff tail to drop in a trough.

bvibert

Staff member

I've skied a skinny GS race ski in the bumps before, I didn't enjoy it at all. That was a couple of years ago when I was way more of a gaper than I am now though. The race skis are stiffer than my Head bump skis, and the Heads are said to be one of the stiffest bump skis around. Not to mention that the GS skis seemed a lot heavier.

mondeo

Those racer types probably stay in the troughs and carve around the bumps. As you take more and more direct lines, your tips go basically straight into the bumps. If the skis are stiff, this can drive you backseat and out of control or stop you dead and you go over the handlebars. Soft skis, the ski just conforms to the contour of the bump, absorbs some energy, and you go on your way. Plus bump skis are light, which helps quickness.

Philpug

The skinny GS skis that you took in the bumps... How were they set up? were the race plates still on them or were they mounted flat (and at +2)?

Find some 175 or 181 GS skis on Ebay for $99-200 (many cases with a kick ass binding) and you will have a great bump ski. Remove the plates, mount the binding flat and you will be set. If it is a Rossi or Dynastar very well it will have a turntable already on it..even better.

MR. evil

Agreed. I went with +1cm on the Cabrawlers because that seemed to be the consensus. Does it make any difference? I have no way to know since I never skied them mounted on the line. Also, it probably varies from skier to skier based on how long their BSL is.

Greg,
My Cabrawlers are mounted +3cm, if you ever want to try them to compare what the additional 2cm feel like let me know. We have about the same size feet and I am sure I could adjust my bindings enough to fot your boots.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Greg,
My Cabrawlers are mounted +3cm, if you ever want to try them to compare what the additional 2cm feel like let me know. We have about the same size feet and I am sure I could adjust my bindings enough to fot your boots.
Don't you mean his Cabrawlers? ;)