• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

kids first time on skis

skididdie

my twin boys are 3 1/2 years old and im just dying to get them on skis, i'm looking for some sugestions. i was thinking of taking them one at a time and using a harness and a ski wedgie thinga-ma-jig. then i was thinking of scraping that idea and just enrolling the both of them in ski school...but having 2 kids go at the same time can be pricey. please help a ski-loving dad turn his kids into this sport.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Have them take a couple of lessons before you head off with them is my take. Does your school have any ski programs with the nearby (like Yawgoo) hills?

skididdie

well, i'm 5 minutes away from ski bradford. on their web site they say classes for 4yrs-7yrs...maybe i'll lie and say theyre 4!!! being a small hill though im skepitcal on the ski school....is that dumb??

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
skididdie said:
being a small hill though im skepitcal on the ski school....is that dumb??
yes. i learned at ski bradford. i ski pretty good now. bradford is actually an ideal training and learning hill, just as the other small hills are. actually, i am of the opinion that small hills are way better to learn at, especailly ones that are less crowded and allow for short and quick runs in which you can really focus on learning certain things. you can get to small hills more often, quicker, and easier than the big hills from that area and it's easy to enroll kids in once a week programs, or more than once a week programs as well.

btw, welcome to alpine zone. i am originally from haverhill :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
riverc0il said:
skididdie said:
being a small hill though im skepitcal on the ski school....is that dumb??
yes. i learned at ski bradford. i ski pretty good now. bradford is actually an ideal training and learning hill, just as the other small hills are. actually, i am of the opinion that small hills are way better to learn at, especailly ones that are less crowded and allow for short and quick runs in which you can really focus on learning certain things. you can get to small hills more often, quicker, and easier than the big hills from that area and it's easy to enroll kids in once a week programs, or more than once a week programs as well.

btw, welcome to alpine zone. i am originally from haverhill :beer:

I concur. Nothing wrong with smaller hills, in fact, they are great for families or small kids. I mean c'mon...anything at that age is HUGE and they won't get lost. Bradford makes perfect sense...though IIRC Bradford was not cheap. Maybe look to places like Pats Peak or Crotched if you want something bigger for you to ski while the boys are in a lesson.

Yes, and welcome to the boards!

kcyanks1

skididdie said:
my twin boys are 3 1/2 years old and im just dying to get them on skis, i'm looking for some sugestions. i was thinking of taking them one at a time and using a harness and a ski wedgie thinga-ma-jig. then i was thinking of scraping that idea and just enrolling the both of them in ski school...but having 2 kids go at the same time can be pricey. please help a ski-loving dad turn his kids into this sport.

I would look into ski school. I don't have kids, but I started skiing in a play and ski program where I would be a nursery-like atmosphere for half or perhaps a little more of the day, and go out skiing for a couple hours. I started at a similar age to your twins.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'm no expert, but I know when it comes time for our daughter to learn, I will be enrolling her in lessons. It doesn't matter how good of a skiier you are, you just never know what will happen with those around you. Having your child attached to you with a harness just doesn't seem all that safe to me. And sometimes, you're just too close to the situation to be the best instructor. I know one of the ski instructors I used when I learned how to ski 1.5 years ago said that he refused to teach his own kids how to ski because he didn't think he could be objective enough with them.

I do agree that learning at a small hill is a great place to start, though. No need to bite off more than they can chew. At 3.5 years old, your boys won't know the difference, but at least it should be less crowded and a bit easier to learn at. Don't worry about the skill level of the instructors. I learned at a small hill (at the age of 26!!) and I did just fine!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I started my daughter in ski school last year and she loved it. She progressed much faster then if I was to teach her. One thing I have noticed is that all ski schools are not the same do your homework. My opinon..Sugarbush has the best schools.

Sky

I vote: Bradford because it's close...and there's not much worse than cold or hot or cranky TWINS in a car, with ski garb...and "I have to go to the Bathroom!!".

All the recommended locations are probably very good...and possibly better than Bradford (talent of instructors, facilities to keep the kids entertained/warm, etc).

Nothing beats 5-minutes from home.

The Boss is right, ANYTHING to a 3-1/2 yr old is HUGE.

If you aren't so concerned about "proximity"... I'd look at the next closest venue. Not sure what that would be. Pats? Wachusett (totaly biased for Wa)? Crotched?

Good luck, Let's hope they like the cold and the snow as much as you. DEFINITELY have someone else teach them. You may want to watch so you can mimic the style and work the same techniques between lessons.

...and Welcome!

Charlie Schuessler

Small ski area operations close to home including group lessons (private if can afford it work too) with other kids their age is the way to go…

You must exhibit LOTS OF PATIENCE including SLOW PACE OF EVERYTHING ON THEIR TERMS which will promote their confidence and their desire for more, that means of course slow dressing, bathroom visits, lots of stopping on the trails, millions of questions, more hot chocolate breaks than you can imagine, even the occasional "I’m tired, can we go home now?"

Push your kids to fast and/or far and they will resent it...give 'em enough rope and soon enough they'll be don the double-diamond trails that scare you!

Geoff

You want some place that has one of those magic carpet conveyer belts for the first few days. Most resorts don't require lift tickets on the Magic Carpet. My Killington friends who are strong skiers have all done the instruction themselves. Harness but not the gadget that holds tips together. Initially, it's 80% hot chocolate and games in the base lodge, 20% on the snow. No more than 15 or 20 minutes at a time. You hear 'em shouting "pizza" to tell their kids to go into a wedge and "french fries" to tell 'em to get their skis parallel.

From what I've seen, weekend group lessons for 4 to 6 year olds are more like day care with a few minutes of romping in the snow. It's more of a service for parents to dump their kids while they ski. If you really want your kid to learn to ski, that's probably not the best way to spend your money. Midweek probably has a much smaller class size where it's more likely they'll get some one on one attention.

skididdie

thanks for the advice everybody. i was talking to the wife and we think we are going to go with Bradford. 4 classes midweek for 90bucks a kid. thanks again for the response everybody. im sure we'll be chating again.

Darwin

Diddie, How many times do I have to tell you. Bradford is great for the kids! The only draw back is that they don't have a magic carpet, but they do have a rope tow and a t bar but I have never seen them use the t bar. The rope tow can be a little rough at first but once the boy's get use to it they will be fine. Your boy's are smart and they will figure it out quick enough. Next thing you know they will be out skiing you, and I think they already got me beat :oops: Oh yeah Diddie, as far as the wedgie thingy, I would let them learn on there own trial and error. like I said they are smart an will figure it out in time. Maybe your boy's and mine will have lessons at the same time and we can go hit the park :p and then :beer:. Anyway Diddie, I think you made the right choice and I will see you soon.

--Shawn

DEVO

When I was a ski instructor back in the early '90s (Mt. Tom) We would tell people that unless your kid is more developed for his/her age, don't expect much before 4 yrs old. We waited till my son turned 5 and he picked it up like a natural. It might be better to wait until they can enjoy it. Most kids under 4 just don't have the muscle development and/or coordination yet. Just my 2cents

vtski

I am in agreement with others: enroll them in the lessons. The kids sometimes (probably more often than we admit) pay more attention to the teacher who is a stranger, rather than a parent. They know that you can give them some slack. Also being a part of a group with other kids could be more beneficial.

I would also suggest trying to find the place that you can “pays as you go” without signing up for a certain number of days. That’s what we did with our son when he was 4. If your kid is “moody” on that particular day you could skip the lesson if you pay as you go. Also weather is a factor. We were so glad we didn’t sign up for the whole session two years ago, because most of weekends it was so cold that it would be a wasted lesson. It was second half of February that I took him to his first lesson. And then we did a few weekends in a row.

And last year he didn’t really need lessons and was skiing Pico all the time. That said, he will probably need lessons for improvements, etc, but as far as original learning I think he is done.

Vortex

I started my kids at 3 and 5. I helped them get the gear on and sent them to lessons right off. They never knew any other way. Sometimes kids respond to others better than they do to their parents.
I have taught skiing before, but when its family I refer to others. Glad you are starting them early.

Greg

Staff member
My daughter turns three in January. I will be waiting until next season and enrolling her in ski school at a local hill. skididdie - if your kids are 3 1/2 now, they should be close to 4 this winter which is the cutoff for most ski schools. Each kid is different though. Some may be ready for it younger than four, others not...

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
As a ski Dad who's alread gone through this, all I can say is, Smuggler's Notch Ski Camp for a week.

3 1/2 might be too young though.

You get to ski an excellent mountain all week, and they have a total blast. Plus, they will do such a good job, that you will be able to pick them up at 3:00 (then end of the session) and most likely be able to ski with them on Morse after the first day.

DO NOT TRY TO TEACH YOUR OWN KIDS THE BASICS.

You will be able to give them more advanced tip after a couple of years.

And make sure to hit the Fun Zone then the pool before dinner.

Don't forget to stop the Brewski as well (sans kids)

http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/kids/3_5yrs.php

Sparky

My daughter has been an instructor for Jiminy Peaks Skiwee program for 9 years. They take kids for 3 to 8. She seems to think they should be at least 4 to really pick up any technique, but they certainly can learn to enjoy skiing at 3+. Their program is a little expensive at $75, but it is for 6 hours and they get a lunch. (Nothing special, grill cheese sandwiches, pizza, chicken nuggets, etc.) . There is a magic carpet and the area for that is off to the side of the main beginning area. If they progress enough the beginning area is available, with a triple that handles just beginners, so it is slow and the lefties are very patient. While the kids are in school there is plenty of terrain to keep you entertained.