• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Yummie festival foods.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't think I could go 2-3 days without some form of meat, I never feel full if i have just a salad or veggies and I can't eat that tofu/bocca stuff.
I hear ya on that.

I used to hang around with the (as Brian calls them) hippy moms. You've got your strict vegans in one corner, and in the other, Nourishing Traditions crowd (BIG time meat eaters, but it has to be grass-fed/organic). Interesting combo to say the least. :lol:

I don't prepare meat often, at least not red meat. But I do enjoy it and couldn't imagine giving it up.

o3jeff

I dated a vegetarian last year, what a pita it was to take her out to eat. She would just about cringe when I would order a medium rare steak:smile: Needless to say it didn't last too long.

drjeff

Both of my sister in-laws are vegetarians, and when they're over, my carnivorous self will gladly accomodate for them, and heck, I've even found some of "that food" to taste pretty decent (Boca Burgers, especially the onion ones I think are quite tasty). However, the one thing that by request I got and cooked for them was the Tofurkey for Thanksgiving one year. That piece of whatever it was, had to be one of the nastiest things I've ever cooked since I was about 8 and one day just started combining some ingredients that I found in the cupboards/refrigerator.

To this day, if one of my S-I-L's gives me the "evil eye" as the blood red juice from a nice rare slab of tenderloin runs down my cheek, all I have to do is say "Tofurkey", and it's game over, victory is mine!

As for festival food to try and get this back on topic, starting next week, we're getting into what us in this part of CT call "fair season" with The Brooklyn Fair (http://www.brooklynfair.org/) next weekend followed by The Woodstock Fair (http://www.woodstockfair.com/) the following weekend. Basically 2 straight weekends of food where 75% of the time, the first word on the menu is "fried!" Mmmmmm

Gyros are freaking great. There's a Greek stand at the farmers market that sells great Gyros. I saw on the food network how the Gyro meat is produced and it's quite a process so I don't mind shelling out $6 for a Gyro. I'm not into the white sauce but there a good tomato garlic sauce that is the bomb deezy. Although winter time rocks hardcore..one steezy thing about the summer is fairs and festivals.

o3jeff

I guess fall is just about here. I noticed that the Wolcott fair is this week and already hearing Big E commercials.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
the only place i have ever had them was in austin. i have yet to find a place in the city that has them. i really could have used one last night. they are soooo good when you are drinking.
The one and only place I've had one was at some restaurant in York, PA. We were there for my sister-in-law's college graduation and she insisted that we had to try one. Haven't seen them since.