• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon By Lonesome Lake & Kinsman Ridge trails

Mike P.

Date of Hike: 03-07-2009

Trail Conditions: Soft Snow, by afternoon some large groupgs had packed all the trails pretty good. One spot high on the KRT between Coppermine Col & the Hi-Cannon Junction was icy, crampons preferred in this area.

Difficulty: Moderate overall, some easy terrain, some spots on KRT were very icy & steep.

Distance: approx. 6.7 & 2300 feet of elevation gain. On the way up, wewalked across Lonesome Lake, on the way down we skipped the hut.

Special Equipment Required: Snowshoes helpful, especially before the large groups came through, crampons in a couple of spots were helpful.

Comments: - Cool & windy at 8:30 by 12:30 it was still windy up top but the clouds were lifting & the snow was softening even up high. Glissaded the steeper parts or LLT & one or two shorter sections of KRT. By the time we were near the car, all of Francoina Ridge was in the sun.

Mike P. & Mike E.
mapaggioli4000@comcast.net

Mike P.

I've been to NEC & since I'm not traveling to the ME/Canadian border in summer, the idea of being a Winter NE 100 is unappealing.

Somewhere on the two to do-list is the Kinsmans & Cannon with a bike ride from the Ski area back to Lafayette Place. I'll revisit NEC then.

Last edited: