• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowshoes req'd this weekend, March 14?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAD777

The last hike in the Whites with my wife was at the end of January but now I believe the conditions have changed significantly given the recent warm weather and recent lack of the big snows that fell early in the season.

My daughter and I are planning a hike up toward the Pemi wilderness from the Kanc, near the pass, starting with Hancock trail, then Ceder Brook trail, then to Franconia Falls. The elevations vary between 2000-3000 feet. Mild stuff, no peak bagging!

My question is this, are snowshoes required still or can we leave that extra weight at home? I'd hate to end up carrying them on my back. The wise advice from you experienced hikers is greatly appreciated!

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
My question is this, are snowshoes required still or can we leave that extra weight at home? I'd hate to end up carrying them on my back. The wise advice from you experienced hikers is greatly appreciated!

The trails could be packed down enough for barebooting, but based upon recent conditions and the weather right now, I personally am not planning to head out without my snowshoes anytime soon.

MAD777

Thanks Threecy,
The only thing worse than carrying needless snowshoes on my back is post-holing all day while dreaming about my snowshoes at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.